1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

To be fair they proposed that tax in conjunction with a lot of other, less honorable, policies. There were far-reaching effects of the bill. However, politics aside, MARTA is a complete abortion. It was created on a completely un-scalable platform for a city that more or less no longer exists. To make any impact we'd need a completely new solution and not just gild a turd. And even then, driving is a culture in Atlanta. OTP-ers wouldn't know what to make of a real, effective mass transportation solution.

Again, however, I'll keep the debate out of MC :)

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Now this is a true point.

3. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

That they do. They're wonderful, yet also terrible machines, often operated by people with substandard training and certification.

4. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

I quite like the new CEO/GM. His attitude seems to be one that will, or at least should, work well with the powers that be in the state, and at the same time push whatever system we end up with forward.

MARTA is a mess on purpose. Atlanta Magazine actually had a few pretty good articles on MARTA and the state of transportation in the city and sprawl leading up to the vote that shed some light on the history of the system that a lot of people didn't know. I was surprised how many of my colleagues didn't know the circumstances the system was founded in.

EDIT: Yeah, they buggered the bill pretty bad, timing wise, and the policy could've been a lot better.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. bourbonbasted

I remember seeing that article, though I will admit I didn't read it with too much attention.

Perhaps the biggest indictment of MARTA is that I was raised in Atlanta and have lived here for the better part of 20 years. Yet I only started using MARTA with any regularity in the past three years (and even then it has only been to the airport and to Falcons/Hawks/Thrashers {RIP} games). I literally had to learn all of the lines, times and routes after living here for 17 years. Mass transit simply isn't something that most know or care about in the city.

6. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Interesting.

7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

HEY NOW!

i love my car, but very often its just not the best solution. if people really are against better train systems because they love their cars, they should not be allowed to vote on anything altogether.

1 person likes this.
  8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Honestly, I often find mine IS the best solution. I did a DC to NYC trip recently, and driving worked out to be faster, the timing was more flexible, and gas and train fare were just about equivalent. Packing was lower stress too- had some adventures finding street parking in Greenwich Village, but it was eminently doable. Tolls made it more expensive than the train, but it was still worth the flexibility I got in schedule.

I would vote for better train service precisely because my car is so often the better option.

9. in stitches

interesting, i find with gas, tolls and city parking, bmore to nyc and back is far cheaper and quicker via train.

but, where in the city you are going, how much moving and shaking you will be doing, so on and so on.... all factor in too.

dif strokes for dif folks. :)

10. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

I love my car, as well. Sadly, in Atlanta at any rate, you have almost no choice but to drive. Like Bourbon said, MARTA has not been all that well run, historically. I live right off of a bus line (one), and while I can tell you the route number, I can't tell you where it goes. I rode it once to see how long it took to get to the train station (MARTA basically runs their buses as loops coming out of train stations, FWIW). It took 45 minutes in no traffic. To drive it: 10-15 minutes.

11. in stitches

yeah, unless there was a specific need, less than 2 hours drive i doubt id take a train.

12. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

MARTA is set up to mirror the spoke-and-wheel design of the interstates and arterials into the city, and thus is made to go in and out of the city. Not around it, or within it.

I think the article is well worth the read again, if you can find it. I enjoyed it, and it re-explained a lot about how and why transportation is so buggered in this city/state.

13. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Real men ride motorcycles.

Or bicycles. Or whatever.

1 person likes this.
  14. in stitches

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Sigh. I'll be moving from NYC to Atlanta in a year or so, and all this MARTA talk depresses me.

I'm excited that I will have a car again (mostly to be able to get out of the city...), but I will definitely miss the subway, as much as I bitch about the MTA.

16. bourbonbasted

On the bright side, assuming we're still here, you'll get to hang out with cool ass dudes like Dewi and me. Glass is always half full.

That reminds me, ATL is due for a meat up...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  17. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

:cheers:

I need to have a chat with my bartender. He always lets the glass get empty first.

18. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Ha, true! Definitely going to need some suggestions for a new tailor when the time comes...

19. bourbonbasted

THAT is a bit of an issue...

From an alterations standpoint, Mashburn is one of the best I've seen/used. However, they do bespoke on an EXTREMELY limited basis (they only do true bespoke for one customer at press time) and it is crazy expensive (like top-shelf Napoli expensive). There's Bosco and Atlanta Custom, but they are both more expensive than it's worth. And no traveling tailors of note. As weird as it sounds, for good bespoke options your closest bet is either Nashville or DC.

The dudes here who really spend the cash are usually in Europe or NYC or DC enough that they see their tailors there. That, unfortunately, leaves us pretty dry.

20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, I need to check out Mashburn on one of my trips to Atlanta to visit the in-laws. Didn't know they did alterations--that's good to know. Have heard good stuff about their in-house suits, but I worry that it's too fashion forward (why they put ticket pockets on everything I will never understand)... I understand they have a MTM program that may be worth looking into.

I'm not that much of a high roller, so true bespoke isn't too much of a worry for me at the moment.