• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maftei tonight: Adelaide toe patterns

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
that suzuki adelaide is just amazing. it literally makes me weak in the knees looking at it.

Brian, are you going to relapse...
smile.gif

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Don't you have to do that with every maker? Especially on your first order?
smile.gif

Quote: RB
[/b][/I]

No, not really. With most makers who I have had experience with, you go to their shelf, pick out a shoe you like and discuss any modfications/piculiarities that you want done for your bespoke shoes. I just say to take a picture b/c Maftei makes a traditional Austro-Hungarian shoe-as we are all aware is a bit different in last shape, as well as other attributes, than an English or Parisian shoe. So, if you are going to have Maftei make an English style shoe, it is best to show them exactly what you want as opposed to finding a shoe in their shop and trying to explain to them how you want it modified. This eliminates or at least reduces the risk of discrepency and disappointment when you recieve your final product. It would be the same if you went to an English maker and asked them to produce an Austro-Hungarian shoe-it is better to shoe them, to make sure they understand what you want.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the.chikor
No, not really. With most makers who I have had experience with, you go to their shelf, pick out a shoe you like and discuss any modfications/piculiarities that you want done for your bespoke shoes. I just say to take a picture b/c Maftei makes a traditional Austro-Hungarian shoe-as we are all aware is a bit different in last shape, as well as other attributes, than an English or Parisian shoe. So, if you are going to have Maftei make an English style shoe, it is best to show them exactly what you want as opposed to finding a shoe in their shop and trying to explain to them how you want it modified. This eliminates or at least reduces the risk of discrepency and disappointment when you recieve your final product. It would be the same if you went to an English maker and asked them to produce an Austro-Hungarian shoe-it is better to shoe them, to make sure they understand what you want.

This is an interesting observation and I am not sure if I would agree. Though your current experience is better than mine.

Their derbies are quite traditional regarding the gallery on the website. The bals shown are a bit of a mish-mash. From what I've seen in person and what I call an "english" shoe, probably not as distinct as i.e. G&G, there were a lot around.

Lucian also told me, that he is open to "modern" designs, as his father is open to a customers requirement, but wouldn't think to much in this direction as a strategy for the company.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thansen88
I have many pairs of bespoke shoes from Maftei in Vienna. I'm going to shine some up and post some good photos to you all. This will add more substance to this thread about Maftei's craftsmanship.

Unfortunately this never happened.
frown.gif

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Unfortunately this never happened.
frown.gif

When my shoes come in I'll ask him about this. I know he's been on vacation for the past month or so.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prova is here; I just have to find some time to drive out to Wellesley to try it on!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
Prova is here; I just have to find some time to drive out to Wellesley to try it on!

Yeah, me too. Maybe this week.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Excellent. I was thinking about this project just the other day, and I'm eager to read what you guys think. Keep us posted!

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I met with Prof. Hansen tonight to work on the prova. We marked it up, discussed changes I wanted, and back it goes to Maftei. In the meantime, I am posting these pictures that thansen has graciously taken of what is, from what I've seen, a small fraction of his collection. Stunning shoes:

blkoxfordsblkbootsqw8.jpg

fullbrogueinblksuedemahkv8.jpg

maftei3prsbigfilebc3.jpg

maftei3pairsko3.jpg

threeprsofmafteishoespv8.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Makes my heart laugh. Thanks; RB

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am watching this thread with selfish interest.

- B

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I borrowed three pairs of shoes from thansen to take some more detailed shots for you fellows.

img0001in5.jpg

img0002ri7.jpg

img0003ct6.jpg

img0004yy9.jpg

img0005ak1.jpg

img0006nh8.jpg

img0007yw0.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads