• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Ashish, though you would like this, wearing my @luxire denim shirt here. I know I am self promoting, but I am pretty damn proud of this. We partnered up with Hodinkee for a special run of steel museum calf watch straps. Check out the article and my bald dome here:Hodinkee Straps

DL-

alfredt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After reading probably 90% of this thread with great interest I ordered a first iteration of cotton trial trousers last month and they just came in yesterday. I sent in measurements based on a well fitting wool Suitsupply MTM pair, adjusted for a higher rise.

I had planned on two or three iterations of trial trousers to dial in the fit and while there are certainly issues with this first pair I think it’s a good start.

Before I order a second iteration I’d love to hear your input on what should be changed. I’ve asked the same from Luxire and will update you on their suggestions when they respond.

So without further ado, here they are:

For reference, I am 6’6” and 210 lbs.

The obvious is the waist which is too big, I have the side adjusters pulled all the way tight in these photos so I think the next pair should be 1.25 inches smaller in the waist.

There is also a large excess of fabric in the seat, or hip measurement. I believe the next pair should be ~1.75 inches smaller here. Would you agree based on the photos? I don’t have any previous experience with pleats so I’m not sure what effect they have but I feel I can easily grab some excess fabric in the back without pulling the pleats apart.

Now the other issues I’m not sure how to fix. In the rear there is bunching of fabric on the upper leg below the seat. Can this be solved by ‘scooping the seat’ as I saw suggested elsewhere? I’m worried about how this would affect the rear rise which I believe is ok on this pair? I obviously don’t want it to become too tight in the seat area.

Another issue is the bunching at and below the knee which is most obvious from the front and side shots. I believe these to be caused (in part) by my forward leaning posture and overextension of my knees. Increasing the knee and maybe ankle measurements would probably hide this but are there other ways to fix the underlying issue? The leg opening on this pair is 7.75 inches.

Very interested to hear what you suggest is changed in my pattern so I can order the next pair.

Thanks a ton!

monkk

Reaction score
Don't. Pretty much can guarantee 5x iteration and you'll still have things you won't like and pants you don't fully enjoy. Go bespoke, send to copy.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't. Pretty much can guarantee 5x iteration and you'll still have things you won't like and pants you don't fully enjoy. Go bespoke, send to copy.

Any fit pics of your Luxire trousers using that process?

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have seen a few myths become legends on this thread over the years.

This one about " go bespoke and replicate" is probably the greatest of those.

The only reason it bothers me: we are sending people on an expensive, proverbial, wild-goose chase, where many learn that even "bespoke" is a process that only gets better over iterations.

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Ashish, though you would like this, wearing my @luxire denim shirt here. I know I am self promoting, but I am pretty damn proud of this. We partnered up with Hodinkee for a special run of steel museum calf watch straps. Check out the article and my bald dome here:Hodinkee Straps

DL-
Have fun mate. You are family.
Straps look real good.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DL-

grrreat straps..

grreat pic..

btw, what denim is that?...link?...

thnx

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to luxire customers:

offer the softest most comfy/silky shirt cloth's you've ever ordered?

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there’s one thing I’ve learned about buying MTM and custom clothes from various makers over the past 8-10 years, it’s that chasing “perfection” can be the most frustrating and unsatisfying goal imaginable. No matter how many iterations or remakes or adjustments I’ve made to different patterns and existing garments, including pants, shirts, and jackets, I don’t know if I’ve ever had something that I felt was absolutely perfect in every way. I’ve been extremely close, and I’m totally fine with that. Otherwise, I’d probably put myself into an asylum after checking and double checking and triple checking every minute detail of every garment and trying to find ways to make it just a little bit better. Not sure what the moral of this story was supposed to be, but hopefully it helps anyone else that finds themselves in a similar situation at any point.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im going to guess:

hes never done this

but he thinks its the best way to do it! maybe Im wrong?

You know exactly why I posted that question...

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps not the best illustration ever but here goes...

The initial steps in a "menswear journey" reminds me of a post grad, mid-twenties guy buying his first entry level BMW. He expects his overall car and dealership experience to be that of the gentlemen who purchased the flagship vehicle for 3 times his amount. Theoretically his expectations are correct, but in real world it just isn't always the case.

One can nitpick all day about fit. After all, "I just spent 2-3 times as much for a pair of trousers as I would RTW!"
Surely I'm just ranting here. I guess what I'm saying is managing expectation is important when dealing with custom clothes. And going bespoke with intent to use Luxire down the road is absurd.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there’s one thing I’ve learned about buying MTM and custom clothes from various makers over the past 8-10 years, it’s that chasing “perfection” can be the most frustrating and unsatisfying goal imaginable. No matter how many iterations or remakes or adjustments I’ve made to different patterns and existing garments, including pants, shirts, and jackets, I don’t know if I’ve ever had something that I felt was absolutely perfect in every way. I’ve been extremely close, and I’m totally fine with that. Otherwise, I’d probably put myself into an asylum after checking and double checking and triple checking every minute detail of every garment and trying to find ways to make it just a little bit better. Not sure what the moral of this story was supposed to be, but hopefully it helps anyone else that finds themselves in a similar situation at any point.

so very well said.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what does really tweak me though, is when I see folks wearing clothes that just about fit PERFECT...... and I know they are OTR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads