• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ChessDan

Reaction score
Standard 32 inch inseam on these bastards means I will never buy them. 34 is my size. Tall people need love too.

johnnylazar

Reaction score
I only wore mine 1 or 2 times at the most, they gave a bit in the first day. On that note, I'm selling mine, i bought too many jeans in the last two weeks. If anyone is interested, I want $90 shipped. size 34x32. no fading or creases.

jangie

Reaction score
FWIW, i just measured the Made In USA 31x32 501s that just came to me and they're about 16.25" waist size measured flat, which makes it about 33.5" actual waist size.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jangie
FWIW, i just measured the Made In USA 31x32 501s that just came to me and they're about 16.25" waist size measured flat, which makes it about 33.5" actual waist size.

Yeah, it seems they're sizing the waist 2" inches bigger than tagged size to allow for the correct shrinkage but they're assuming that the buyer is going to machine wash and put them in the dryer which most aren't going to do. Unfortunately the inseam is the same as listed/tag (insane).

tehbry

Reaction score
I have two pairs of Levi 514. One is the rigid non-selvedge, other is the premium rigid selvedge. I sized down two in the non selvedge, and they stretched out to about 3 inches larger than tagged waist size, but I did put a lot of wear into them (bike riding, etc). The selvedge only stretched to about 2" larger than tagged size. I'd recommend only sizing down one or going TTS on those.

I have the selvedge pair for sale in my signature thread.

Also here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...97#post4175597

dreamtripper

Reaction score
There is a little bit of variation in the 32Ls. I'm probably more of a 33L, but I tried 3 pairs in the store and picked one which was a little longer (perhaps 1/2 inch) than the others.

Originally Posted by ChessDan
Standard 32 inch inseam on these bastards means I will never buy them. 34 is my size. Tall people need love too.

Rene_Lahm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChessDan

Likewise, I really like the look of those sahara's but I need a 34 inseam. Any word on if they'll produce some in the near future?

johnnylazar

Reaction score
Levi's usually will come out with one inseam on the limited editions at first. Then judging by their popularity they'll eventually make more variations. They did that with the matchstick kaihara denim. At first it was only 34 inseams, then they added 32's and eventually 30. So it just takes some time for them to actually make something for everyone.

jaggy

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of the made in USA STFs in the same size as the ordinary 501 STFs I already had (32x32, TTS in waist, +2 on inseam), and it seems like shrinkage after one soak on the made in USA's was noticeably less. I didn't take any before/after measurements, but I have noticed the standard STF's left very little material for stacking, while the made in USA's left me with an appropriate amount.

I really notice the difference in denim quality, and after a few days of wear they feel much more comfortable.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the non-Kaihara selvage fade faster? I swear, after 9 months of near daily wear, my Matchstick Kaihara's have not faded at all... Okay, they've faded in certain places, but no one but me can see it. Other than the fade line down the fly... :|

johnnylazar

Reaction score
My kaihara matchsticks faded a lot, I'll post a pic tonight. The pockets and crotch got destroyed. I repaired them, then washed em, now they're to small so my lady wears them.

Lafayette

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnylazar
My kaihara matchsticks faded a lot, I'll post a pic tonight. The pockets and crotch got destroyed. I repaired them, then washed em, now they're to small so my lady wears them.

I have a pair but have yet to wash them. In fact, they haven't seen much wear. Now I'm wondering if I should put them up for sale.

How much did they shrink? Do you know if the shrinkage was due to the wash or the dryer (if you used one)?

I was under the impression they were not shrink to fit but would stay (almost) the same size.

Dangydang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnylazar

Please post that pic when you get a chance. I'm debating between the Matchstick Kaiharas and the 511 Cone Selvedge right now.

johnnylazar

Reaction score
I will do it tomorrow. Get the USA 511. The pockets on my kaihara denim exploded. The cone denim is a lot better. They are sanforized but I did a hot wash and dry by mistake!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads