Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Levis Selvedge Denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dreamtripper, Mar 16, 2011.

1. johnnylazar

johnnylazar Senior member

I've had the 47's, 54's, 55's and 44's. The 47's are a great slimmer cut depending how you size. The 54's are basically a skinny jean. I would say try the 47's for your first pair. They're an amazing jean. I would make sure about the sizing, the newer models are more true to size, the older ones run a size small and shrink from that, so you need to size up.

2. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

bought a pair of 501's all american made - LOVELY -- 2 sizes to big ---shrink like a bastard!!!
    i'll have to drop 5 lbs for them to fit comfortably now!

3. dreamtripper

dreamtripper Senior member

Have you tried washing them yet? I was under the impression (maybe incorrectly) that since there was such a large selection of sizes (pretty much every W an L combination), they were already pre-shrunk.

As I was putting on the "raw" 505s last night for another round of breaking in, I noticed it read something like "Denim made in Greensboro NC" on the inner left pocket. I still have all the tags and I'll double-check tonight to see if there's a direct reference to Cone Mills anywhere.

BTW, the rear paper tag also popped off of mine the first night I was wearing them (and still deciding on whether to return). My stitching also matches the web shots with the lighter color threading in certain areas, and they otherwise match the shots on the website in all respects that I can tell.

4. dreamtripper

5. johnnylazar

No they won't shrink at all. That model is pre shrunk.

6. dreamtripper

Thanks, I thought this might be the case.

When I was in the Levis store, the other 501 Selvedge model which was $178 had a tag explaining the shrink to fit sizing estimates, whereas the Saharas did not. I did find it interesting that the Saharas came only in a 32 L except for the 38W.

No they won't shrink at all. That model is pre shrunk.

7. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Anyone order the 511 Raw?

8. johnnylazar

My friend bought them and loves them. He said they stretched a ton and to order a size down. His didn't shrink at all, he soaked them first!

9. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Will Levi have coupon's or just I just order now?

10. bombers

bombers Senior member

Will Levi have coupon's or just I just order now?

I'm patiently waiting for at least a 30% coupon. The most I've seen was 50% through Groupon or something.

11. Ricardo Malocchio

Ricardo Malocchio Senior member

Have you tried washing them yet? I was under the impression (maybe incorrectly) that since there was such a large selection of sizes (pretty much every W an L combination), they were already pre-shrunk.
    Not yet - only had them for a little over a week now! (And may not ever wash them if they are STF!)

I love the jeans, my favorite Levi's denim so far. But I need every last bit of length!

12. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

It's crazy that they only offer these in a 32L given that they're STF. From the review of the selvedge 501 "made in usa" it looks like they come 2" inches bigger than tag size. So you order your true waist size in these?

Also, I wonder if the 505 is pre-shrunk like the 67 LVC model?

13. Ricardo Malocchio

Ricardo Malocchio Senior member

It's crazy that they only offer these in a 32L given that they're STF. From the review of the selvedge 501 "made in usa" it looks like they come 2" inches bigger than tag size. So you order your true waist size in these?
    Man, you got me. And everybody else.

I purchased the $178 "raw" selvedge 505s. Unlike the 501s dreamtripper saw, mind did not come with a "stf sizing estimate" tag. They also fit true-to-size in the waist (I have a pair of corduroy 505s in the same size).

14. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

Man, you got me. And everybody else.

I purchased the $178 "raw" selvedge 505s. Unlike the 501s dreamtripper saw, mind did not come with a "stf sizing estimate" tag. They also fit true-to-size in the waist (I have a pair of corduroy 505s in the same size).

Hmm, sounds like they could be based on the 1967 model and pre-shrunk then? The LVC version 505 is made in Turkey though.

The 501's seem to be selling really fast.

15. johnnylazar

They are pre shrunk. The 505's run true to size and wont shrink much.