• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray Jeans

emptym

Reaction score
Anyone have a favorite pair of gray jeans? I find them very versatile and have been wearing some slim, tapered Levis the past several years. But nowadays I'd prefer more of moderate cut with a straight leg.

Hoping for a fairly high rise (11.5-12" front, 15.5-16" rear) and about an 8" opening. This would be for a 32 or 33 waist.

So far the top two contenders are, on the lower end, Levis STF 501s:

and on the high end Todd Shelton Pro Greys:

I believe some other members have pairs of Todd Shelton grays (@angryjeans, @Patrick R, @bdavro23, maybe others). If you have any pics or thoughts you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd really appreciate seeing and hearing them.

Todd was kind enough to send me a swatch which I've taken a picture of with a couple of Levis:
IMG_0787.jpeg

Ideally I'd like something pretty light in color, like the bottom left.

Rogue Territory has a pair that's really close, with the rise slightly lower than what I'd prefer (and out of stock):

Naked and Famous has a pair with a good front rise, but a surprisingly short back rise (also out of stock):

Any recommendations for a light gray jean with a high rise and straight cut?

John_Dunn

Reaction score
Following. I too find grey to be a super versatile jean color. My pair are Levis 501 but Id prefer something in a better denim.
20211223_171947.jpg
I

John_Dunn

Reaction score
@emptym the weird guy fit is just.....weird. i havent tried them but the easy guy measurements look promising

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks, JD. Yeah, the easy guy has a high rise, but the waist is pretty wide (36" on a size 33) and they're very tapered (6.75" for 33).

Sugar Cane's 2014 is just about perfect (size 33 has 34" waist, 11.5 front rise, 15.5 back rise, 8.1 opening). I have a blue pair and they're great. I wish the rise was tiny bit higher and the thighs a bit wider. But if they had a light gray pair, I'd get them (@kiya).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a pair of grey jeans from Our Legacy in what they called First Cut. Looking at their site now, it looks like the cut may have been discontinued. Our Legacy's First Cut is a little slimmer than LVC's 1947 501s, if you're familiar with those (I feel like that's the canonical slim straight leg). They fit like the photo below.

Since it's from a fashion brand, however, the cuts and fabrics change all the time, and I don't see the First Cut available anymore, or jeans in a standard grey color. Our Legacy's jeans also don't have all the benchmarks that denim guys value, such as selvage fabric. It's just a pretty straightforward pair of midweight jeans, maybe 12oz fabric (slightly lighter than the usual 14oz). You might be able to find it on the second-hand market, but I feel like it would be safer to try a new cut from a store so you can return things if they don't work out. Not sure I would recommend buying OL's First Cut from a second-hand dealer who doesn't allow for returns.

23-02-2016_ourlegacy_firstcutjean_rawblue_sp_m3.jpeg

John_Dunn

Reaction score
Thanks, JD. Yeah, the easy guy has a high rise, but the waist is pretty wide (36" on a size 33) and they're very tapered (6.75" for 33).

Sugar Cane's 2014 is just about perfect (size 33 has 34" waist, 11.5 front rise, 15.5 back rise, 8.1 opening). I have a blue pair and they're great. I wish the rise was tiny bit higher and the thighs a bit wider. But if they had a light gray pair, I'd get them (@kiya).

Wow yes that is a strong taper.

emptym

Reaction score
Lenny-Kravitz-Why-I-Wear-What-I Wear-Extra-01.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
I got the Levis stfs linked above, hot soaked them and have worn them for a couple weeks. Here they are on top/right:
IMG_0879.jpeg

They're breaking in nicely and I'm super happy with them, particularly for $40. I have a 14 yr old pair of blue stfs that are are probably my favorite blue jeans, despite my owning other, more expensive jeans. I was hoping this new gray pair would fit like those old blue ones, and so far, so good. These are 32/32 like the blue pair, which measure 33/30.5. After the hot soak and some wear, the gray ones measure 33/31.

In case anyone's wondering, on the left are Levis 522s that I've worn a lot the past 9 yrs or so but now find too tapered, then Lucky 410s which has a nice, classic cut, pretty much the same as Levis 501 stfs, and then Levis made and crafted, tack slims, which have a lowish rise (despite sizing up to 34 waist), but otherwise are nice. I got the Luckys and tack slims to replace the 522s, but really the 501 stfs are what I was looking for. With time and wear, they should look close to the 522s. I'll probably give away the tack slims, keep the Luckys for summer, since they're a lightweight linen blend, and store the 522s for when trends shift that way again.

But I'd still like to see others' gray jeans and how they wear them, if anyone would like to share.

heebalabala

Reaction score
This may be a bit too Western for many but I can share some color combinations I like with gray jeans. These are RRL slim bootcuts I picked up last year on Buy & Sell and were my first pair of gray jeans. A little trickier wearing than I thought but perhaps I'm limited by my imagination.

Originally bought them to pair with a black and gray overshirt but once I got the jeans I didn't care for the combo -- it was flat and boring. But quickly figured out my favorite combo is pairing with bold reds or oranges. And as Lenny K shows above, a light blue denim or chambray shirt is gold.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago Levi’s did ‘commuter pants’ - five pocket jeans style strides in several colours. They’re supposed to be aimed at people biking to work. When you turn them up there’s a reflective strip on the outseam. There’s a loop along the waist band for a bike lock, and they’re meant to be treated for water resistance. I got a pair in grey and liked them so much I got a second pair, but Levi’s being Levi’s they had to tweak them so second pair are a bit lighter in colour and have more stretch - elastane in them. I don’t think they have the reinforced crotch that the first pair had. .

Sorry I can’t contribute any recommendations other than to concur that grey jeans can be really useful. At whatever point these wear out I’ll be looking to see what’s on offer as a replacement.

emptym

Reaction score
This may be a bit too Western for many but I can share some color combinations I like with gray jeans. These are RRL slim bootcuts I picked up last year on Buy & Sell and were my first pair of gray jeans. A little trickier wearing than I thought but perhaps I'm limited by my imagination.

Originally bought them to pair with a black and gray overshirt but once I got the jeans I didn't care for the combo -- it was flat and boring. But quickly figured out my favorite combo is pairing with bold reds or oranges. And as Lenny K shows above, a light blue denim or chambray shirt is gold.

Yeah, orange and red work well, as do dark brown, navy, beige, and white -- as shown by your pic. Green works well too imo. You're right about it being a bit tricky. One might think gray jeans would go well with a blue sport coat, for example, but I don't think they do. Haven't tried it though.

A few years ago Levi’s did ‘commuter pants’ - five pocket jeans style strides in several colours. They’re supposed to be aimed at people biking to work. When you turn them up there’s a reflective strip on the outseam. There’s a loop along the waist band for a bike lock, and they’re meant to be treated for water resistance. I got a pair in grey and liked them so much I got a second pair, but Levi’s being Levi’s they had to tweak them so second pair are a bit lighter in colour and have more stretch - elastane in them. I don’t think they have the reinforced crotch that the first pair had. .

Sorry I can’t contribute any recommendations other than to concur that grey jeans can be really useful. At whatever point these wear out I’ll be looking to see what’s on offer as a replacement.
I remember those. Reinforced crotch too? Really wanted a pair or two, as I commute by bike or motorcycle. But I can't remember why I didn't get a pair. Maybe they were expensive or sold out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads