• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My generally calm mutt exhibited some weird behavior yesterday.

Rewind back to last Tuesday when we flew out to indy for thanksgiving. She has always been very calm flying and has no problems with other dogs. As we were de-boarding the plane, we walked by a small poodle who was in the second row. The poodle lunged at my mutt and sort of grabbed her by the throat but immediately released. My mutt was startled but walked past her without issue. Thanksgiving with the family included 10 other dogs with whom she had a great time with.

Fast forward to the flight home. She encountered 3 separate dogs in the terminal and on the plane. Gave all of them menacing loud growls. Very weird.

Hopefully it isn't an association with airports and airplanes that makes her aggressive.

Last edited:

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah he has tons of energy but zero confidence. We're working on it, and hes shown a lot of improvement, but its been hard. My wife and I didn't know we were getting a scared coyote cat fox dog.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah he has tons of energy but zero confidence. We're working on it, and hes shown a lot of improvement, but its been hard. My wife and I didn't know we were getting a scared coyote cat fox dog.

Yah. Work on his confidence and provide him a lot of experiences.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My generally calm mutt exhibited some weird behavior yesterday.

Rewind back to last Tuesday when we flew out to indy for thanksgiving. She has always been very calm flying and has no problems with other dogs. As we were deboarding the plane, we walked by a small poodle who was in the second row. The poodle lunch at my mutt and sort of grabbed her by the throat but immediately released. My mutt was startled by walked past her without issue. Thanksgiving with the family included 10 other dogs whom she had a great time with.

Fast forward to the flight home. She encountered 3 separate dogs in the terminal and on the plane. Gave all of them menacing loud growls. Very weird.

Hopefully it isn't an association with airports and airplanes and the dogs within them that makes her aggressive.

How do you transport your pup on and off plane, in a carrier or walking? Does it sit under your legs? Do they go to bathroom at the dog relief area in airport?

We might be flying for xmas, 2 hour flight and thinking it would be better than a 10hr drive with lots of stopping.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So we got kicked out of puppy socialization class because Eko bit some dog and drew blood.
Hes a terror, hates strangers, afraid of everything, bites the **** out of me, and tries to hump my arm any chance he can get.
But he loves his outside time and has been a champ on hikes and walks.
We got him in one on one puppy socializing and hes doing way better with older calm dogs.

Our breeder offered zero advice when we explained his behavior, such a weak response and disappointing effort from them.

When you say that the pup "bites the ****" out of you, is your sense that this is some kind of dominance aggression, fear aggression or just too-rough play? If it's the latter, I don't think it's a serious problem. Cyrus drew quite a lot blood from me, but it was all in fun. If it's either of the former, you've got your work cut out for you...if you want to keep the dog. At least such is my take on the matter.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So we got kicked out of puppy socialization class because Eko bit some dog and drew blood.
Hes a terror, hates strangers, afraid of everything, bites the **** out of me, and tries to hump my arm any chance he can get.

But he loves his outside time and has been a champ on hikes and walks.
We got him in one on one puppy socializing and hes doing way better with older calm dogs.

Our breeder offered zero advice when we explained his behavior, such a weak response and disappointing effort from them.

Looks like they warrant a yelp review

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H
When you say that the pup "bites the ****" out of you, is your sense that this is some kind of dominance aggression, fear aggression or just too-rough play? If it's the latter, I don't think it's a serious problem. Cyrus drew quite a lot blood from me, but it was all in fun. If it's either of the former, you've got your work cut out for you...if you want to keep the dog. At least such is my take on the matter.

His biting seems to be a rough play and possibly a dominance struggle. He growls/bites my wife and I quite a lot not in a reactive or defensive way but intentional strategic strikes. He is also super mouthy which i understand is a shiba thing.Whenever he's pet, he wants to bite so much it makes it hard to pet him. We cram a chew toy in his mouth to get him to re direct. Also lots of ice cubes now, seems like hes teething bad.

We have started putting him in time out when the **** hits the fan and he wont stop biting. Hoping that helps. Whenever we sit on the couch, he jumps up and bites or humps, tearing at clothing or biting and clamping down on skin or clothes.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Random things.

Your trainer is an idiot. Ask for your money back.

Don't let your puppy on the sofa.
Don't over react by screaming or running away. A loud "oww" should get him to back off for a moment, then you can redirect onto a chew toy.
More exercise.
Short sessions of calmness. Downstay for 1-2 minutes with a reward at the end.
If she's old enough (and she looks it) corrections via a small prong collar and tab are appropriate. Short sharp pull down when biting with a firm "no" then reward for stopping.
More exercise.
Hand feed for a while. Make her earn every morsel of food.

You puppy is being an asshole, that's all, but an asshole left unchecked can become a monster.

lefty

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Random things.

Your trainer is an idiot. Ask for your money back.

Don't let your puppy on the sofa.
Don't over react by screaming or running away. A loud "oww" should get him to back off for a moment, then you can redirect onto a chew toy.
More exercise.
Short sessions of calmness. Downstay for 1-2 minutes with a reward at the end.
If she's old enough (and she looks it) corrections via a small prong collar and tab are appropriate. Short sharp pull down when biting with a firm "no" then reward for stopping.
More exercise.
Hand feed for a while. Make her earn every morsel of food.

You puppy is being an asshole, that's all, but an asshole left unchecked can become a monster.

lefty

Sounds like my friends Vizla. She is alpha dominant to my friend and is an asshole. I don't let the Vizla get away with **** when I see her and my friend is so amazed that she will listen to me. It isn't hard. She runs the damn dog about 5 to 7 miles every other day and it is still bouncing off the walls. I keep telling her that the dog needs mental training and stimulus as well to release its energy but she doesn't do it. Its a shame. Great loving dog, just needs more training.

BTW: My wife and I are adopting this senior citizen in about a week. She has had a hard life. At 10 years old, she is no spring chicken but we wanted to adopt help a senior and have the means to keep her comfortable if her health deteriorates. I watched her for a bit and her foster's have reported back that she does not have many weird quirks. All that being said, you can't say not to this face.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some help here.

Rescued a senior dog about 2 months ago. She is great, just arthritic and has had a previous hard life.

Only problem. I think she has sundowner's syndrome. She constantly paces at night and barely sleeps. Pacing and panting. I try to calm her down but eventually she will get up again and pace.

I have her on Acana, Nupro's gluco and lyfe spryte, and she is on her tramadol and rymadil for her arthritis. I'm thinking of taking her into the vet and maybe asking for Xanax.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My older dog has started showing similar symptoms. The vet put him on Trazadone. A dose an hour or so before dark, especially combined with a pre-dusk walk, seems to take the edge off pretty well. It also lasts about seven hours, so it gets them pretty well through the night before wearing off.

Good luck. Dementia is no fun.

j944

Reaction score
Need some help here.

Rescued a senior dog about 2 months ago. She is great, just arthritic and has had a previous hard life.

Only problem. I think she has sundowner's syndrome. She constantly paces at night and barely sleeps. Pacing and panting. I try to calm her down but eventually she will get up again and pace.

I have her on Acana, Nupro's gluco and lyfe spryte, and she is on her tramadol and rymadil for her arthritis. I'm thinking of taking her into the vet and maybe asking for Xanax.
I am not sure about the anxiety, but for arthritis we used Missing Link for our lab. She was a working dog and at about age ten could barely get up sometimes. After using for almost three weeks she was back to her old self until she passed at 14. I initially purchased from Petco, but found it on Amazon. Good luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads