lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Re the Arthritis we used Glucosamine & Chondroitin tablets for our lab staff cross and it worked really good for him. We gave him double the dose you would take and cut it back produced good results.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Did you know about the nighttime situation when you adopted her and if so, was it as bad at her previous home? It may lessen once she settles. More exercise at night could help - exhaustion level exercise. A crate in your bedroom may also help.

Not to be too harsh, but I don't know if it's beneficial to the animal to keep her alive if she's under that much daily stress.

lefty

3. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

All good points. The rescue downplayed the night situation when we adopted her. No clue as to her previous home, she was found at the a shelter in South Central Los Angeles.

We'll check on the exercise and have a vet appointment.

Culling her isn't currently an option. But I'll see how bad it gets. She is really happy during the day.

4. France Turcotte

France Turcotte New Member

Lefty: please tell me that big DDB / Neo mix is your dog. I run a rescue for mastiffs are rescued Ben and he looked exactly like the picture you posted. I want to know where he was from, he was the love of my life. Best dog I ever owned. we rescued him in the New Jersey coastline area.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

Not sure which pic you're referring to but not my dog.

lefty

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Interesting stuff. I have been aware of the New Guinea Singing Dog for years, but this is the first I have heard of the NG Highland Wild Dog. Does it also "sing," I wonder? I gather the problem for the Singing Dog is that it is too domesticated for conservationists to take an interest in them and too "wild" for many people to want them as pets, so they fall between the cracks. I may have mentioned in this thread that there was a woman in my neighborhood who had a dingo. She was candid that she wasn't sure she was a pure dingo. However, her body language and general demeanor were very different from an ordinary dog's, more like a coyote's--cautious, stealthy and furtive would be how I would characterize her. She got along well with my last two Tosas, Tessa (female) and Cyrus (male). I think her body language was not at all challenging to a Tosa.

An old school friend of mine bought a Carolina dog a couple of years ago. It is a little standoffish but doesn't otherwise seem especially "primitive."

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  7. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Any suggestions? I know an orthopedist and a CT Scan is in order but I don't to spend that $$$ if I don't have to.

My two year old shephard mix started heavily limping on her right leg, looks like the wrist area, after playing at the dog park. We took her to the vet for anti-inflammatories and x-rays which came out negative. The dog limps only when walking but still loves to play and do zoomies, etc without any sort of pain.

We put her on bed rest for the last 6 days and she is still limping, even after inflammatories and crate rest coupled with supervised on-leash bathroom breaks. Its annoying me that she wines all day in her crate but I can't let her play.

I'm now going on my 10th day and the limp is less heavy but still there. I'm assumind she has no tears since she can put weight on it but our vet can't figure out what it is since x-rays came back negative. Her advice was to try an orthopedist and CT Scan. I simply do not want to have to spend 2K if I don' have to.

8. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Eko doggo has been waking up in the middle of the night heaving, and eventually barfing pink bile. Anyone have this issue before? Been going on about 4 nights now.

9. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

This is interesting. The only South American "bush dog" that I knew of was Speothos venaticus. This looks very different and less dog-like than the animal shown, which is Dusicyon microtis. This is why we have scientific names for animals!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  11. Wolfman101

Wolfman101 Member

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

A

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  13. razl

razl Senior member

Intruder alert!

He's not a dog, but he acts like one. What a mug.

WP_20170414_08_16_48_Pro.jpg

Carry on.