• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kitchen Tools

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I came to this thread with excitement on sharing my new purchase of a kitchen aid mixer and pasta making attachments. I feel like the guy who showed up to a black tie ball in a toga. WTF man.
I literally have no ******* clue what is being discussed.

i've actually often wished that i had a kitchen aid more than some of the **** we're talking about here. how is it?

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I came to this thread with excitement on sharing my new purchase of a kitchen aid mixer and pasta making attachments. I feel like the guy who showed up to a black tie ball in a toga. WTF man.

Join the club. We meet on Thursdays. Its pot luck only.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My parents just got a Kitchen Aid mixer and we put it through its paces over the holidays. It's great if you do a lot of baking. They bought me a Vitamix. Calling this machine a really powerful blender (which it is) is an injustice. It can make everything from smoothies to sorbets to hot soups. I think it would be useful to everyone from a beginning cook to a professional chef.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

i've actually often wished that i had a kitchen aid more than some of the **** we're talking about here. how is it?

******* awesome. i use it 3-4 times a week.
The pasta attachment is fantastic.

this. I hesitated when i saw the price...i paid 200 just for the pasta thing...however, VERY well worth it.

My parents just got a Kitchen Aid mixer and we put it through its paces over the holidays. It's great if you do a lot of baking. They bought me a Vitamix. Calling this machine a really powerful blender (which it is) is an injustice. It can make everything from smoothies to sorbets to hot soups. I think it would be useful to everyone from a beginning cook to a professional chef.

I need to check one of those out. my blender sucks nuts.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I can get a WMF pressure cooker 6.5q that normally costs like 110€ for 70€. I guess the overall effectiveness for making stock still makes it worth a buy, no?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's the size i got. i didn't get it just to get stock. in fact, the real reason i got it is probably because i'm so damned hard to shop for and ms. foodguy needed an xmas present. but it seems like a reasonable enough size. i got a fagor electric and have been pleased with it in the early going.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'll get one. Is it useful for small sizes of beans/lentils and stuff, too, or just for bigger batches?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mine has worked great for small batches. ridiculous waste of equipment, i know, but i make oatmeal in it every morning: 1/3 cup steel oats and 1 cup water. (the thing is,as i said before, it has a stay-warm cycle)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are very good for oxtails as well. For other tough meats, but oxtails just seem made for the pressure cooker. FWIW, I have two. One is a large stockpot and the other about the size of fg's. I use that one for cooking beans quite often.

To take this full circle, Modernist Cuisine has a carnitas recipe in a pressure cooker. I guess I am a little surprised they didn't just cavitate it for 128 hours, but it does seem like a good use for a pressure cooker.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not having read Modernist Cuisine really makes me feel like an outsider. :(

I guess I'll have good use for the pressure cooker. While it's no Kiton, er, Kuhn Rikon, WMF is a solid German company and the price is good for that. Thanks for the advice.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not having read Modernist Cuisine really makes me feel like an outsider. :(
I guess I'll have good use for the pressure cooker. While it's no Kiton, er, Kuhn Rikon, WMF is a solid German company and the price is good for that. Thanks for the advice.

Not sure how many people have actually read it, so don't worry. Doesn't keep anybody from having an opinion.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They are very good for oxtails as well. For other tough meats, but oxtails just seem made for the pressure cooker. FWIW, I have two. One is a large stockpot and the other about the size of fg's. I use that one for cooking beans quite often.
To take this full circle, Modernist Cuisine has a carnitas recipe in a pressure cooker. I guess I am a little surprised they didn't just cavitate it for 128 hours, but it does seem like a good use for a pressure cooker.

lol

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nah those food saver bags are expensive. You can make up the difference within a couple years if you're going with something like the vp112, which you can get for $600 bucks. You don't have to get a BIG chamber sealer.

It's really not that expensive. You'd have to vacuum seal an awful lot of food to make up the $450 difference in price between that vp112 and the newest foodsaver. 20ft of foodsaver bags is $24 on amazon. I mean, it doesn't make sense to vacuum seal half an avocado like they do in the ads, but for meats purchased in bulk and stuff, it makes sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads