Kitchen Tools

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mgm9128, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Yeah, I'd probably want to do a side by side test as well. It does seem like it should have a more intense flavor. But I think until I taste it, I wouldn't really "get" the difference.

I didn't see this. Could you explain a little more?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

2. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

i forget if i read about it flipping through a friend's copy of MC or if it was on that FCI blog, but I think they like the KR because it doesn't vent (the pressure regulator isn't a wobbler,it has some fancier mechanism.)

I have the Cuisinart electric one. It's super convenient, and though I wish it was twice the size, makes pretty good stock. I've never done a side-by-side, but I don't really have that much interest in doing it anyway since the stock nearly always becomes part of something else.

It's also good for beans, and also at cooking vegetables for purees.

3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I cooked a celery root puree sous vide a week or so ago. Just diced celery root and cream sealed in a bag. It came out nice, but I don't really get what you're accomplishing by doing it in a water bath as opposed to just cooking the celery root in cream on the stovetop, and then blending it all together. It's not like you're losing flavor to a liquid, since the liquid (cream) is becoming a part of the puree.

4. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

With SV, convenience, and theoretically less aroma loss to the air, and you should need less liquid because it doesn't reduce.
    Pressure cooker is just super fast, and things like carrots and onions just seem to take on a more intense flavor, but without really browning.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

not complicated. SV meat cubes that are diced to 1cm^3 for 3 hours. centrifuge to separate the jus from the meat. You end up with the meat layer, a fat layer, and the jus. For use they dilute 2 or 3:1 with distilled water (tap water will turn it brown).

There's a video here: http://modernistcuisine.com/video-gallery/

6. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

+1 to this. I use the pressure cooker mostly for stocks, beans, and grains. Mine is a Kuhn-Rikon, but I'm sure that other brands work perfectly well.

7. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

How about the Sous Vide Supreme? It's fairly reasonably priced. Also, how about the standard sealer that they sell for $79 compared to the chamber sealer they sell for ten times that much?

8. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I don't have a chamber vacuum. I know one of the advantages of them is their ability to seal liquids, but that's easily enough accomplished with a regular suction machine. The bags are also cheaper, but you'd have to live to be like 150 to break even on the cost of the machine vs. the cost of bags. I use a Caso that I really like.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Pressure cooked stocks are tastier, and cleaner, both in clarity and in production. Other than that, and the fact that there is some useful info, Modernist Cuisine is a pretty big disappointment. I get the feeling that Myrvhold has incredible knowledge and a terrible palate.

11. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

I think the amount of energy they've spent pimping that disgusting looking striped omelet is pretty good evidence of that.

12. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Myrvhold's palate is just too modernist for you to understand.

I thought that striped omelette looked swell.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

13. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

nah those food saver bags are expensive. You can make up the difference within a couple years if you're going with something like the vp112, which you can get for $600 bucks. You don't have to get a BIG chamber sealer.

It's possible. I haven't cooked any of the recipes yet and have just been reading it like a regular book so far. I think the book is really interesting but I'm a huge nerd and I'm excited by the same kind of things as Myrvhold is. I think there's a lot of knowledge you can get in the book that you can't get easily in other places. Some of it is actually useful for cooking and some of it not. It's interesting to the right audience nonetheless.

The microbiology chapter is interesting and it doesn't contribute to your ability to cook something, but it is important imo.

I also think you know FAR more than the average or even above average home cook, and that probably makes it less valuable to you. Still, it's early days and I won't have time to really dig in to it until i come back frmo vacation.

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

guess what ms. fg got mr. fg for xmas. i'll let you know. i've got a chicken carcass in the fridge just waiting. so far, i've used it to cook wheatberries and ... oatmeal (it's got a warmer feature on it, so i can put the oatmeal on when i wake up ... take the dog for a walk and have breakfast when ig et back. revolutionary.
    eta: we got a fagor electric ... my test kitchen manager did a piece a month ago testing all of them and this works great ... doubles as slow-cooker and rice cooker.