Kitchen Tools

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mgm9128, Dec 29, 2011.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

20ft is really not a lot for someone that is going to sous-vide a lot, buy entire tenderloins, etc. That's like 83 cents a bag. Very expensive. If you have a chamber sealer you pay more like 10 cents a bag which is a hell of a lot more reasonable.You break-even somewhere aroond the 550 bag mark.

And check the food saver reviews on amazon. There are tons of reports of them breaking and needing to be replaced. And they still don't suck enough air to prevent freezer burn in a lot of cases and are sucky for liquids. Over a shorter period, fine, but longer? There are probably hundreds of reports of them not doing the job.

Believe me, I understand the impulse to buy a cheaper device because it's really not a priority for most people in life, but I just don't think it's cheaper even in the medium term, let alone the long term.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

my wife would do this. you have never lived with a Japanese woman who likes to cook, I guess. Our fridge resembles a ziploc library sometimes. There are saran wrapped little shreds of who knows what on the door shelves... Japanese thriftiness is at odds with my American philosphies at times. To keep her happy we go to Costco and buy the 160 packs of ziplocs in like three different sizes. My 'modernist kitchen' would begin with an additional 4 fridges and a vacuum chamber.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

The difference between the chamber and others is immense. The quality of the vacuum on any piece of meat is totally different. Be aware, though, that with the cheaper one that the g33k is talking about you can't set the vacuum level, only the time, so that isn't quite as good. It isn't about the cost of the bags, the whole shebang is diff.

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

they have another one that's a little more expensive and still a lot cheaper than the one you have (which i think is substantially more expensive). But along with the extra expense it's also bigger. The VP112 is a pretty good compromise in a lot of ways.

5. itsstillmatt

It is very good. A close friend of mine has one. Not knocking it at all, just saying that the ability to set vacuum % is nice.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i know that TK does not recommend Food Savers. i don't recall exactly what all the issues were, but he says the microbiologist he worked with says they're not safe for extended low-temp cooking.

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

That's interesting.

Getting a really good vacuum deprives microorganisms of oxygen and makes it hard for them to survive/reproduce. That's one of the reasons that sealing preserves. Food savers don't really come close to achieving a complete vacuum. In SV cooking, the temps are higher than room temperature, which could encourage microbial growth because those temps may not be hot enough to outright kill microorganisms that now have a great environment (warm and humid) to flourish in.

I'm going to check some graphs in MC when i get home. I think i saw some related info on this in the microbiology chapter but i haven't read it yet.

8. itsstillmatt

nm

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Weren't they basically made on EG? what is wrong with them? (serious question)

10. Renton

Renton Senior member

Add me to the list of happy Kuhn Rikon owners and the chamber vac wasn't a bad purchase either.

11. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Rösle is a good company. They certainly aren't very cheap, but the quality is very good.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

So the ESGE Zauberstab (bamix) 200W and the Moulinette arrived today. Hope they'll provide much satisfaction.

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What kind of sieves/tamis do you use? I currently just have some very old one like that:

[​IMG]

In Robuchon's cookbook I've mostly seen these:

[​IMG]

How are they called? I can't find them on amazon.de... This kind of tamis seems much easier to use. Almost looks like a splatter guard.

14. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

The second one should be findable as a tamis or drum sieve.

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

Found them. They're sold as flour sifters here.. Now I've got to find a quality one. ;)