• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirby Allison: Affiliate thread

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@RedDevil10 I really love your camera work and description .. Luckily for others I do not decide, as you would receive the gift week after week ..

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also worked on a pair of cordovan today. Usually get pretty lazy and just brush 15 seconds each shoe but decided it was time to really clean this pair up a bit

Starting off, some scuffs and dirty creases

Using Saphir Cordovan creme, deerbone and Allen edmonds chili edge dressing

After one coat of creme, pretty effective stuff:

Touching up with burgundy cordovan creme for scuffs at toes and heel quarters, a few very thin coats:

Final result:

And Instagram photo:

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@stevent! Great looking wtb! I've never tried the cordovan cream before … do you prefer it to wax?

@RedDevil10! Great tip! I'll have to try that 4-1 H2O/Alc.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@stevent! Great looking wtb! I've never tried the cordovan cream before … do you prefer it to wax?

@RedDevil10! Great tip! I'll have to try that 4-1 H2O/Alc.

Thanks, I haven't used any wax on cordovan before. I used to use Reno only on shell it found that it dried out Carmina and C&J too much so decided to try the creme. Now I don't really use Reno for anything

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

The name's Travers. Nice to meet you all!
I'm all green and new, so yes, please give me all the advices you can give.

I'ma so into Sunday shoe shine, but never had time for one. Fortunately, the new Allen Edmond's Hanover gave me just what I need.

Pardon my ugly toe. I really need to watch next time :) The Hanover looks excellent on feet despite the silly lace tab crease, which can be fixed with a European shoe tree.

So, I made my pre-maintenance like how Kirby did with his in one of the posts. Full dubbin grease, Réno, Crème and Pâté De Luxe though. And the first wear is impressive. Anyway...

I drowned the leather and the welt area with the welt right after the first wear, so on Sunday, I needn't to.

A beautiful Sunday today is!

Here comes the babies! I'm among the last luckiest to picked up one first quality, right sized and well made Hanover in black calf. The calf is filled with tiny, fine grain all over, which I'd conclude to have a beautiful aging over time.

So, Let's Get Down To Business!

A light brushing with the Star brush, which the bristle had soften up much more over use.

Then the "Nordstrom's brush", for which, in reality, is just a product made by Synovia.

The vamp, the quarter...

And this is the hot zone - the welt area. It looks great to have a nook there, but it is certainly a pain to care once dirt or debris is stuck INSIDE the welt.

We move on with the polishes. All from Kirby's Hanger Project.

Crème Pommadier first. For recoloring and nourishing. Shea butter works great as a face moisturizer, so why not for leather huh?

I really need a shine mat, but really, my salary and saving from writing contracts are simply not yet enough.

The cream goes on smooth, but the rough, and dries relatively quickly. However if I was to brush it right in immediate, I'll set my shoes on trouble.

Drying time requires patience. I read a book and went on for a cup of water. 5 minutes for it.

Time to brush! With the Star first, because the bristle is more rigid.

Then the Nordstrom brush

Quite a finish to begin with!

Some cloth buffing for a better result.

Comes just as I wished.

The Pacific Northwest is literally a rain sack. So, why not some paste wax?

Dip it into the polish ("it" is another Star's product, an applicator brush slim enough to go around effectively, but I'll get the Saphir's brush whenever possible)

Rain will soon perish the welt without sufficient care. I applied Réno earlier, so I only need wax for protection and sole stitching's lubrication.

The edge should not be ignored.

Time for some Pâté De Luxe!

I rubbed the Pâté De Luxe on the upper for more protection, again, for the upcoming rain.

More brushing to come when they dry!

Again, with my provisional chamoisine, I buffed the wax off, leaving a great shine.

Kirby used to demonstrate the effect of Navy blue on a black base. So, as needed, I might as well give a good, good shot!

I was not going for the mirror. I was going for the high gloss, but here it is, reflecting my fingers somewhat.

With natural sunlight on, what else can I say but "A job well done"?

Feel free to give comments, advices and rants everybody!

LeMaitreChat

Reaction score
Today I'm working on a new pair of Aldens. Here's how they look, fresh out of the box:

After three coats of reno, interspersed with vigorous brushing:

Next, three coats of black pommadier, ditto brushing:

Two light coats of black wax all over:

Finally, a bit of mirror shine on the toe:

And now they're ready to be worn!

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a dilemma with my new pair of John Lobb shoes.

I keep seeing more and more guys here polishing their brand new shoes.

I mean, is there a point doing that? My shoes are pretty shiny and nourished from the Factory as I can see, that I am actually worried if I will do more harm than good by stripping down the factory wax and redoing it without any reason .. I always thought I should just wear them as they are for a couple of times until they get dirty a bit, and than do the job .. Am I wrong?

LeMaitreChat

Reaction score
Well I was operating under the assumption that they were probably sitting on the shelf for awhile, so they were probably in need of some moisturizing. And they definitely hadn't been polished - you can see the difference in shine from the first picture to the last.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a dilemma with my new pair of John Lobb shoes.

I keep seeing more and more guys here polishing their brand new shoes.

I mean, is there a point doing that? My shoes are pretty shiny and nourished from the Factory as I can see, that I am actually worried if I will do more harm than good by stripping down the factory wax and redoing it without any reason .. I always thought I should just wear them as they are for a couple of times until they get dirty a bit, and than do the job .. Am I wrong?

@kirbya has a great article and tutorial on the subject: http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/how-to-shine-new-shoes

For new shell, I don't wax or polish, just condition once with Reno and then brush after every wear. The same might be said for lobb or AS's as they usually have a good glaze, but could benefit from moisture and brush/buffing.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today I'm working on a new pair of Aldens. Here's how they look, fresh out of the box:
After three coats of reno, interspersed with vigorous brushing: Next, three coats of black pommadier, ditto brushing: Two light coats of black wax all over: Finally, a bit of mirror shine on the toe: And now they're ready to be worn!
Looking good LeMaitreChat! Enjoy your new Alden 901's!!

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These Carmina austerity brogues looked OK--I noticed a scuff on the toe while prepping--but I hadn't polished them in a while and figured they could use some moisturizing.

Applied a coat of black Glenkaren.

Wait. Brush. Wait. Brush. Polishing cloth. Done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads