• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirby Allison: Affiliate thread

LeMaitreChat

Reaction score
Looking good LeMaitreChat! Enjoy your new Alden 901's!!
Thanks! That same week I actually also bought a pair of 935s that I haven't yet polished
shog[1].gif

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These Carmina austerity brogues looked OK--I noticed a scuff on the toe while prepping--but I hadn't polished them in a while and figured they could use some moisturizing.

Applied a coat of black Glenkaren.

Wait. Brush. Wait. Brush. Polishing cloth. Done.

Nice shine!!! Is that the 9 inches brush from Nordstrom?

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These Carmina austerity brogues looked OK--I noticed a scuff on the toe while prepping--but I hadn't polished them in a while and figured they could use some moisturizing.
[quote url="[URL]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/1256342/[/URL]"] Applied a coat of black Glenkaren. Wait. Brush. Wait. Brush. Polishing cloth. Done.
Those look great! How do you like the GlenKaren products? [/quote]
These Carmina austerity brogues looked OK--I noticed a scuff on the toe while prepping--but I hadn't polished them in a while and figured they could use some moisturizing. Applied a coat of black Glenkaren. Wait. Brush. Wait. Brush. Polishing cloth. Done.
Nice shine!!! Is that the 9 inches brush from Nordstrom?
Thanks, gents! I like GlenKaren. I haven't done side-by-side with Saphir yet, but the results seem just as good, and I kind of like a product with such a simple ingredient list. Also, it doesn't stain my fingers as much, which is nice. The brush is from shoecaresupplies.com. Good prices for large brushes, though the dark one loses a lot of bristles while brushing.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I bought my big brush (looks exactly like your's - check out my post) in Nordstrom downtown Seattle. Needless to say it is the best out of all the brushes.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gents!

I like GlenKaren. I haven't done side-by-side with Saphir yet, but the results seem just as good, and I kind of like a product with such a simple ingredient list. Also, it doesn't stain my fingers as much, which is nice.

The brush is from shoecaresupplies.com. Good prices for large brushes, though the dark one loses a lot of bristles while brushing.
Glen Karen, I believe, is superior in the simplicity of the formula, and release less volatile compound thanks a lot to the orange oil used. The materials of Glen Karen can be readily source and found. However in terms of performance I think both are decent match to one another. Yet, the ingredients used in Glen Karen's can be so expensive mass manufacture can take so much money people would quit right when the idea was started.

Might as well give Glen Karen a try some day. The product can be so potential.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oui Monsieur! However, that shine is too soft and can be improved with a goat hair brush, lambswool mitten or some kind of chamoisine cloth.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Inis Meáin Factory Sample Sale

Hey guys - quick heads-up that I've finally received and listed the items I picked up while visiting Inis Meain in March. These items, mostly mediums, are factory samples. Every piece is unique (to us) -- one-of-one. Great opportunity to acquire some rare pieces from the Inis Meain archive in interesting colors and styles. I'll be discounting everything by 15% (thus "Factory Sample Sale").

Take a look and let me know if you have any favorites!

http://www.hangerproject.com/clothing-accessories/knitwear-polos.html

Cheers,

Kirby

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Inis Meáin Factory Visit Sample Sale

Gentlemen - back in late March, I had the privilege of visiting the Irish island of Inis Meáin and spending time with Tarlach, the founder of the company named for the island. I'm still working on putting together a proper story that describes the experience, but the waterfall of spring/summer product that I've been working to load onto the website since returning has kept me from completing this. Nevertheless, I do want to go ahead and share some pictures.

Inis Meáin can be quite difficult to get to, especially during the fall and winter months when weather can completely shut off travel to and from the island. This island is an example of classic maritime weather: the weather changes five times during the day, with daily showers that can last just for a few moments. The weather is incredibly dynamic and, at times, brutal, which over time is what gave rise to the island's unique rock cliffs.

The island is accessed either through a twice-daily flight from the mainland or by ferry, though the ferry can get quite dodgey in rough weather. I'm fortunate that the skies were clear enough for me to fly, especially since the flight was only about 20 minutes.

One of the most defining characteristics of the island is the intricate network of stone walls that the islanders built over the centuries. The island is one large mosaic of stone walls, some as high as 10 feet and built using complex designs. Many of the stitches used by Inis Meáin's in its knitwear are inspired by some of these rock designs. In my mind, at least, the housewives who knitted celebration sweaters for their children and husbands surely took inspiration from the work being done by their husbands in the fields.

The drama of the island cannot be overstated. Between the beautiful mosaic of stone walls built by hand and hard labor over the centuries and the dramatic rock cliffs brutalized by the rough seas, Inis Meáin is an island of contrasts. Through their work, islanders expressed beauty and art in an environment and lifestyle hardened by nature.

One of my pleasures while visiting the island was the opportunity to visit Inis Meáin's factory store. A beautiful piece of architecture designed by Tarlach's brother, the store serves essentially as an outlet for production samples and over-production. More than anything, though, it is a fantastic archive of some of the beautiful things that the company has produced in seasons past. One of my key complaints with "fashion" is the concept of seasonal collections. The problem with the idea of seasonal collections is that it requires an effort to come up with new stuff every year. And, with the focus on new stuff, fantastic pieces done previously rarely get adequate representation and appreciation. Something from three seasons ago, especially from a company like Inis Meáin, is just as classic and smart today as it was then.

This said, it was nearly impossible for me to pass up the opportunity to acquire many of these pieces to bring back and offer to my customers. A "Factory Sample Sale," if you will. So, after waiting to be photographed for the better part of a month, these pieces are finally online. I'll be officially announcing the Special Project to all of our customers Wednesday or Thursday, but wanted to release it to you guys first.

Shop Inis Meáin here.

P.S. This hasn't been proofed.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads