• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

elstinnett

Reaction score

I had a question.. any reason why these jackets and suits can't have a Kent Wang label? They're really nice but it's a little sad there's no label at all.

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning! I definitely think a KW label should be included.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can anyone here recommend a Carmina last that fits similar to KW's benchgrade line? I have the brown captoe balmorals, and I was looking at some stuff from Carmina. Would the Rain last be pretty similar to these KW oxfords?

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even the most indefensible hacking / ticket pocket configuration is still more practical than a necktie or pocket square.

Let's try to get a grip.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even the most indefensible hacking / ticket pocket configuration is still more practical than a necktie or pocket square.

Let's try to get a grip.
It's funny you say that. I know what you mean but I don't follow your lead here.

I like surgeons cuffs but I was never a high ranking official or a surgeon.
I like 3r2 because it's a little more on the historical side of suiting
I don't need a ticket pocket because I don't ride trains
I don't need hacking pocket because I don't ride horses
Neck ties are OK
Pocket squares are OK

Some things you have a reason you like or don't like and others you just follow or like for other reasons, without fully making sense. Here, I would avoid both hacking and ticket, and wear a neck tie and pocket square :-D

docka

Reaction score
How does the Jcrew ludlow compare to a KW suit? I bought several polos and I am extremely happy with the quality. I spent about $500 for Jcrew's signature half-canvassed 2 piece, but I can return it. I know KW suits are full canvassed/ MTM and I would like to hear your opinion on it. At the $800 price point, are there other companies that provide a similar quality? (black lapel, suit supply etc...). Is it worth the jump, from $500 (ludlow) to $800 (KW)?

For my measurements

Chest = 34
Shoulders = 17.5
Sleeves = 32

Last edited:

motionn

Reaction score

How does the Jcrew ludlow compare to a KW suit? I bought several polos and I am extremely happy with the quality. I spent about $500 for Jcrew's signature half-canvassed 2 piece, but I can return it. I know KW suits are full canvassed/ MTM and I would like to hear your opinion on it. At the $800 price point, are there other companies that provide a similar quality? (black lapel, suit supply etc...). Is it worth the jump, from $500 (ludlow) to $800 (KW). For my measurements Chest = 34 Shoulders = 17.5 Sleeves = 32
The lower end suitsupply suits are half-canvassed. Black lapel i believe is also half canvassed. You can't compare a RTW suit to a MTM suit. Spend the extra money, it's an investment.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How does the Jcrew ludlow compare to a KW suit? I bought several polos and I am extremely happy with the quality. I spent about $500 for Jcrew's signature half-canvassed 2 piece, but I can return it. I know KW suits are full canvassed/ MTM and I would like to hear your opinion on it. At the $800 price point, are there other companies that provide a similar quality? (black lapel, suit supply etc...). Is it worth the jump, from $500 (ludlow) to $800 (KW)?

My 2 cents, which is free and you get what you pay for...If you find an OTR suit that fits you extremely well and you like the styling and construction, then rock on and buy as many as you need. But I see a few reasons to consider MTM:
1) You can't find suits that properly fit your body type.
2) You want access to more fabrics.
3) You want to adjust options from suit to suit (# of buttons, vents, flat/pleated, cuffed/no, etc).

These days my main rotation consists of KW and Suit Supply, and I'm very happy with both. I only own sport coats from J Crew. While I like the SS fit and price, there are things I would like to change, like lowering the button stance, and giving me a longer pair of pants that I can cuff. I turned to KW at the start to get a fabric that SS (nor J Crew, or a few others) did not offer, and for a price that was reasonable. My 2nd suit from KW was for the same reason. For each one I was also able to make the adjustments that I wish I could make on my SS suits. For me, satisfying reasons #2 and #3 makes KW a good buy for me.

Last edited:

docka

Reaction score
My 2 cents, which is free and you get what you pay for...If you find an OTR suit that fits you extremely well and you like the styling and construction, then rock on and buy as many as you need. But I see a few reasons to consider MTM:
1) You can't find suits that properly fit your body type.
2) You want access to more fabrics.
3) You want to adjust options from suit to suit (# of buttons, vents, flat/pleated, cuffed/no, etc).

These days my main rotation consists of KW and Suit Supply, and I'm very happy with both. I only own sport coats from J Crew. While I like the SS fit and price, there are things I would like to change, like lowering the button stance, and giving me a longer pair of pants that I can cuff. I turned to KW at the start to get a fabric that SS (nor J Crew, or a few others) offered for a price that was reasonable. My 2nd suit from KW was for the same reason. For each one I was also able to make the adjustments that I wish I could make on my SS suits. For me, satisfying reasons #2 and #3 makes KW a good buy for me.
Aside from being able to customize the suit, in terms of construction and quality, are Jcrew and SS similar to KW? From your point of view, is it worth the $300-$400 jump? How do you like your Jcrew sport coats (I'm assuming you have the ludlows)?

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aside from being able to customize the suit, in terms of construction and quality, are Jcrew and SS similar to KW? From your point of view, is it worth the $300-$400 jump? How do you like your Jcrew sport coats (I'm assuming you have the ludlows)?  

The sport coats are fine. I didn't have to do much tailoring. They are both tweed so being seasonal wear I don't care as much about canvassing because I won't wear it out quickly.

KW was worth the jump to get the fabric I want and the sizing adjustments. I am very picky with details. The MTM just feels great when I put it on. Instantly my favorite suits.

This really is a hard question to project for you because no one else knows what you like, how you like to wear your suits, how picky you are about details, how "custom" you want it to feel, and if there is a brand that provides all of this for you already. Full canvas is worth a lot of money to some people, and is a "meh" to others. Being able to get a 3-roll-2 stance is killer for some, and others don't know what that even means. Some want a particular ankle opening, and others just want it "slim". Some want the coat to be exactly 30.2578" long and others are generally fine with a regular.

So I'll say this, if the J Crew is everything you think you want and fits well, then don't worry about MTM. But if every time you put it on you say "I wish XXX was different" or "I can't seem to get ZZZ to quite fit right no matter what the tailor does" then MTM should be considered. That is ultimately what drove me to consider MTM in the first place. The suits I was buying would each get me 90% of what I want, but never that last 10%.

docka

Reaction score
The sport coats are fine. I didn't have to do much tailoring. They are both tweed so being seasonal wear I don't care as much about canvassing because I won't wear it out quickly.

KW was worth the jump to get the fabric I want and the sizing adjustments. I am very picky with details. The MTM just feels great when I put it on. Instantly my favorite suits.

This really is a hard question to project for you because no one else knows what you like, how you like to wear your suits, how picky you are about details, how "custom" you want it to feel, and if there is a brand that provides all of this for you already. Full canvas is worth a lot of money to some people, and is a "meh" to others. Being able to get a 3-roll-2 stance is killer for some, and others don't know what that even means. Some want a particular ankle opening, and others just want it "slim". Some want the coat to be exactly 30.2578" long and others are generally fine with a regular.

So I'll say this, if the J Crew is everything you think you want and fits well, then don't worry about MTM. But if every time you put it on you say "I wish XXX was different" or "I can't seem to get ZZZ to quite fit right no matter what the tailor does" then MTM should be considered. That is ultimately what drove me to consider MTM in the first place. The suits I was buying would each get me 90% of what I want, but never that last 10%.
Awesome. That was very, very helpful. Much thanks.

Last edited:

kmitch101

Reaction score
Anyone with feedback on the quality of the v1/v2 white sneakers? Cheers

Here's a couple quick pictures of the V2 sneakers. I ended up having to size up from my benchgrade balmoral size. Overall quality seems very good. Although I've never handled Common Projects sneakers to really give a good comparison.

noinimod

Reaction score

Here's a couple quick pictures of the V2 sneakers. I ended up having to size up from my benchgrade balmoral size. Overall quality seems very good. Although I've never handled Common Projects sneakers to really give a good comparison.

Thank you for sharing the pictures, they look excellent!

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a 38 jacket/suit made from KW with standard lapels to compare mine to?

Wanting to go standard but I think my linen sports coat has slightly bigger.. not wide, but not a measurement for regular width either. Which I actually like.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanjida191