• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^I have a candy stripe sky blue stripe shirt in similar fabric (based on the Italian label). TBH, the fabric is very soft and requires more pressing to get clean lines compared to oxford cloth. I wish it was little more robust. For instance, collar needs more attention in laundering and drying to get out the creases. Otherwise, very nice button down, too.

edit:
I meant bengal stripe button down

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why are you asking people to proxy when someone at the NYC store would be happy to talk with you about what they have in stock? i dont get whats so hard

I was on the phone with the guy for like 15 minutes as he patiently looked up codes from the site to see if they stocked certain shirts

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kamakura-shirts-new-york

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too busy during the week TBH, but will probably give them a call over the weekend with my next order. I've order 9 shirts in a span of a month FWIW so maybe wait a bit... :hide:

I also don't know how to ask for a certain shirt aside from the fabric and pattern e.g. oxford, royal, dobby, thin stripe, even stripes etc. I just don't want to give them a hard time. I wear Tokyo Slim Fit and rarely do they have a good photo of a shirt I want online. I think Kamakura is pretty good about updating stock in their webstore, so, the minute things are sold out the item gets taken down the site.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The oxford cloth is really, really nice, a pleasure to iron at home with a steamer. The royal oxford, broadcloth, dobby, and pinpoint still have superficial creases albeit going over the shirt twice. A bit annoying...For those who take it to the dry cleaner I imagine all your shirts are crisp, ready for next wear.

A bit disappointed with the royal oxford spread collar as I thought it would be even nicer than the oxford. FWIW this is all based on post wash, collars are still nice in respective to spread and button down.

jas0nt

Reaction score
Does anyone else have experience with the Tokyo Knit shirts? I have one and the fabric appears to be quite springy, as if there's some elasticity in it.

Turner

Reaction score

Does anyone else have experience with the Tokyo Knit shirts? I have one and the fabric appears to be quite springy, as if there's some elasticity in it.

I have a New York Knit, but the elasticity is the nature of the knitted material. Think of Polo shirts. If you don't want the elasticity, you have to stick to woven fabrics.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^I have a candy stripe sky blue stripe shirt in similar fabric (based on the Italian label). TBH, the fabric is very soft and requires more pressing to get clean lines compared to oxford cloth. I wish it was little more robust. For instance, collar needs more attention in laundering and drying to get out the creases. Otherwise, very nice button down, too.

edit:
I meant bengal stripe button down

I thought a bit winkle on button down is nice, I personally don't see the point of ultra sharp button down kind defeat the whole a bit casual american look, no?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thinking about ordering some of the Tokyo fit linen shirts, but can't decide if I want to wait for non-button down collar. My other Kamakura shirts are still going strong.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The oxford cloth is really, really nice, a pleasure to iron at home with a steamer. The royal oxford, broadcloth, dobby, and pinpoint still have superficial creases albeit going over the shirt twice. A bit annoying...For those who take it to the dry cleaner I imagine all your shirts are crisp, ready for next wear.

A bit disappointed with the royal oxford spread collar as I thought it would be even nicer than the oxford. FWIW this is all based on post wash, collars are still nice in respective to spread and button down.

Thanks for the info. Would you mind being more specific? Was the quality of material for the royal oxford not nice or did you not like the look of the spread collar after washing or is it just because it is more difficult to iron?

Thinking about ordering some of the Tokyo fit linen shirts, but can't decide if I want to wait for non-button down collar. My other Kamakura shirts are still going strong.

Think some of each is better than a lot of one or the other. I'd get one BD just to see if you like the fit better. I thought my fit was perfect in all other dimensions but realized the 17" shoulders was just a hair too small. Dumb mistake.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members