Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

1. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

I don't wear them with suits. These particular linen shirts are cut fairly short to be wearable untucked as well so more casual. I did wear them with casual sc's and cotton trousers.

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Oxford cloth by far irons the best (I use a steamer). Even the wrinkles in the placket is easier to press versus pinpoint. Forgot what fabric my candy stripe button is, but that was the most difficult. Fabric is sourced from Italy based on the label. Feels like broadcloth. Next time I think it needs two passes to really get the shirt flat like that of the OCBD.

3. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Does the NY store carry more than what's online? The offering of dobby and royal oxford cloth is so limited in the Tokyo Slim fit.

4. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

Any shrinkage in the linen shirts?

5. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

they definitely carry more tie than what's shown online, as to shirts I think it's in general "different" outside stable item than more or less

6. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

How can Kamakura offer so much shirt for such small prices? Does anyone know how much Japanese factory seamstresses get paid a month?

7. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Probably not a lot, isn't it another $20 or so cheaper in Japan? Can't speak for Japan, but generally speaking manual labor even in the developed bits of Asia ex-Japan (HK/Singapore/Taiwan/South Korea) are still relatively cheap

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

And they probably don't have a lot of overhead and use japanese markup even to non japanese buyers.

Ordered my first two shirts, went for 15 3/4 33 tokyo slim and ny slim 15 3/4 35.5. Went a little bigger than toasty as I'm a bit fatter. One in royal Oxford and one in pinpoint. Both spread collars as I need a few dress shirts

Probably get them Tuesday as past few EMS from Asia have been next day delivery

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

9. Spex

Spex Senior member

Just curious as to how these fit, what size you chose and if you wear any other Kamakura shirts and in what size (for comparison sake)?

10. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

I have Tokyo classic 15 - 32 OCBD and the Tokyo slim fit in 15 - 32 1/2 OCBD. The Tokyo Linen S's fit is very close to the 15-32 1/2 TSF OCBD. I would say the measurements on the site are pretty spot on. I have yet to wear the linens yet (just tried on) and haven't washed any of my Kamakura shirts yet so I can't comment on how they fit in the long term. Texture is pretty nice though, I really like the quality of all my Kamakura shirts. At least more than my BB and LE shirts.

11. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Just ordered two OCBDs in TSF. Excited to try them out and glad to hear that Kamakura is willing to do an exchange if the fit is off.

12. francoamerican

francoamerican Senior member

At the online shop -

It looks like they've:

1 gotten rid of the darts
    2 "improved" the collar
    3 added a box pleat
    4 added a bit of fabric to the chest (1")

on the new Buttondown NY Slims.

The old one's fit me as well as any OTR shirt I'd ever had so I bought one last one with the old pattern and one new. I'll let you know how it goes.

13. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Anyone know if Canadians are still getting reamed ordering online due to duties/shipping?

14. Spex

Spex Senior member

I was juiced, therefore I'm having my mother-in-law bring some over to me straight from Japan. They are much cheaper that way (about $50/pop) and better selection to boot.