• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

yunBW

Reaction score
Really depends on your foot shape and how wide your feet really are. As I said earlier I’m a 11E brannock but I take a 9.5D in the 180. My foot has more volume in the arches and instep as opposed to overall width. Really feel like the 180 in a D width has the volume I need. The 180 in the same size in an E width would be too big for me.

Not wearing anything with a good fit. I have a pair of Robert last derby shoes which are a bad fit. Bought them during a close out sale hoping I could squeeze into a UK9.5. They are too narrow and the length isn’t quite right either. I do not think a UK10 would have enough width either. The Soller or Detroit may work for me but I haven’t tried them.
ok thanks, I'll just order one 7 and 6.5D and see how it fits and if I need an E. I'll see the boutique still takes order by any chance lol.

You do have one other option, one that I've done when trying to order online from brands I'm not familiar with, trace your feet and measure them. These are good numbers to have anyways when ordering online. Also can measure the arch height. Then you can send them to the company and ask which size they suggest for which model. However, I highly doubt JMW will be accommodating, at least based on my interactions with them, but who knows, maybe they will be helpful? There was a number/email that you could contact that JMW Madison sent out in their notification that they were closing. You could also try to contact them through that number/email?
I just tried it and the length is 25.6 cm and width is 10.5 cm. I will try emailing them and see what they respond. Thanks!

drewzter

Reaction score
After reading the previous posts. I want to add that the 180 is popular in Japan for the heritage/history of the brand like the example of americana mentioned, but the other important reason is simple. The shoe looks elegant and can be taken off easily when entering homes or places that use slippers/socks indoors mostly. The other thing I'd like to add is if you have seen some of the french tv programmes covering the Weston factories, they do have a production limit. I don't think they have figured out how to expand while maintaining the quality control they have , at least for their emblematiques. They are also in the process of training and maintaining a lot of new talent. This reminds me a little bit of In-and-Out Burger. They don't feel the need to expand to the East Coast. So why carter to anyone in the East Coast wanting their burgers? I think its a little like that.

yunBW

Reaction score
Received an email from JMW, so apparently they have a sizing fitting chart where you could input the measurements and they could provide most suitable size and send the loafer from Paris. I wonder if anyone have the link?

Attachments

• 2556E2CA-7693-42B6-A059-C242FBDD9282.jpeg
    2556E2CA-7693-42B6-A059-C242FBDD9282.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 217

AunToni

Reaction score
After reading the previous posts. I want to add that the 180 is popular in Japan for the heritage/history of the brand like the example of americana mentioned, but the other important reason is simple. The shoe looks elegant and can be taken off easily when entering homes or places that use slippers/socks indoors mostly. The other thing I'd like to add is if you have seen some of the french tv programmes covering the Weston factories, they do have a production limit. I don't think they have figured out how to expand while maintaining the quality control they have , at least for their emblematiques. They are also in the process of training and maintaining a lot of new talent. This reminds me a little bit of In-and-Out Burger. They don't feel the need to expand to the East Coast. So why carter to anyone in the East Coast wanting their burgers? I think its a little like that.
The only problem is that a) JMW isn't the only brand with a loafer. b) Japan isn't the only country where shoes are taken off when entering the home. c) It's not like JMW is a new brand and it is not like their stores in places outside of Europe (save for Japan) are/were that new. Their NYC store had been there for 30 years. They made very little attempt to reach out and expand even within the immediate area where their stores were/are located. The store in Shanghai had been there for 9 years, same issue with NYC store.

I do, however, agree with you that they simply don't really know how to expand while maintaining their level of quality. However, as you note their new direction, they are pushing shoes that are aimed at a younger audience. Maybe a good marketing idea for them, but since they are more than likely going to only focus on France and Japan, I doubt any of these new models will take off. Japanese consumers, my guess, will still prefer the classics over the newer models.

AunToni

Reaction score
Received an email from JMW, so apparently they have a sizing fitting chart where you could input the measurements and they could provide most suitable size and send the loafer from Paris. I wonder if anyone have the link?
They didn't give you the link? They just gave you a screenshot/document?
I suspect this option is only available for those living in places where they allow for online ordering. I have never seen such a form. Although, all of my shoes from JMW have been bought in the store.

yunBW

Reaction score
They didn't give you the link? They just gave you a screenshot/document?
I suspect this option is only available for those living in places where they allow for online ordering. I have never seen such a form. Although, all of my shoes from JMW have been bought in the store.
No links were provided, same reason as you stated because I’m not able to order online via international website.
I guess I’ll check their refund policy incase it doesn’t fit since they charge 35 euro for shipping itself.

AunToni

Reaction score
No links were provided, same reason as you stated because I’m not able to order online via international website.
I guess I’ll check their refund policy incase it doesn’t fit since they charge 35 euro for shipping itself.
That's another thing I don't like about Weston, their "extras" are either expensive or they just pass all costs onto the consumer compared to other higher end brands. For example, EG has 'Duty paid and free shipping over $250." I own 15 pairs of shoes from JMW and they have been useless in helping me to figure out how to resole my shoes in France. They just simply say, ship them to us, but living in China, there are some issues with customs and I want to make sure those issues will be taken care of and done properly so I don't end up paying import fees on the same pair of shoes twice. However, they were not helpful in addressing this issue. They just told me to "drop off" my shoes at a JMW store when I'm traveling. So, I was going to do that when I was last in NYC, but the NYC store said that they can't ship the shoes internationally. They said the shoes will only go from their store to the factory in France then back to the store. This makes sense, but the store refused to ship it internationally to me. So, essentially, JMW's solution was no solution at all. And cobblers in Shanghai aren't really that good, especially since I have quite a few shoes that have welts that are very close to the upper, like JMW does nicely on many of their models.

yunBW

Reaction score
That's another thing I don't like about Weston, their "extras" are either expensive or they just pass all costs onto the consumer compared to other higher end brands. For example, EG has 'Duty paid and free shipping over $250." I own 15 pairs of shoes from JMW and they have been useless in helping me to figure out how to resole my shoes in France. They just simply say, ship them to us, but living in China, there are some issues with customs and I want to make sure those issues will be taken care of and done properly so I don't end up paying import fees on the same pair of shoes twice. However, they were not helpful in addressing this issue. They just told me to "drop off" my shoes at a JMW store when I'm traveling. So, I was going to do that when I was last in NYC, but the NYC store said that they can't ship the shoes internationally. They said the shoes will only go from their store to the factory in France then back to the store. This makes sense, but the store refused to ship it internationally to me. So, essentially, JMW's solution was no solution at all. And cobblers in Shanghai aren't really that good, especially since I have quite a few shoes that have welts that are very close to the upper, like JMW does nicely on many of their models.
Pretty much, I have seen it happening a lot Especially the whole Covid 19 situation. The retail of JMW is around 600 euro but they add a 20% custom fee which ends up around 800 euro (include shipping) which is the standard US price. Some brand doesn’t display while some do and there are some doesn’t charge this 20% custom fee.

I might just order from other from other website first and figure out the exact sizing...

AunToni

Reaction score
Pretty much, I have seen it happening a lot Especially the whole Covid 19 situation. The retail of JMW is around 600 euro but they add a 20% custom fee which ends up around 800 euro (include shipping) which is the standard US price. Some brand doesn’t display while some do and there are some doesn’t charge this 20% custom fee.

I might just order from other from other website first and figure out the exact sizing...
I think for your situation, especially if you like the 180, you should figure out the sizing. However, if JMW showed you that form and you are able to order the shoe from them, then I would give them your measurements because they will be the best people to tell you which size fits you best. However, if they are not helpful in that regard, then the other option is to do as you are doing with MrP. The only problem with that is that they usually only carry the standard D width. So, if your foot needs the wider width, you can't get it from them. Anyways, you have a few options. MrP has free shipping and returns, so the worst that happens is you have to wait a while.

Personally, I don't really like the 180. I wish they made the le moc' with a goodyear welt because I'm not a big fan of blake. I like the slightly more elongated last and "narrower" look over the 180. However, I originally went to JMW for the 180, and ended up realizing the 180 wasn't for me, but fell in love with some of their other models. So, something to consider haha.

Last edited:

yunBW

Reaction score
I think for your situation, especially if you like the 180, you should figure out the sizing. However, if JMW showed you that form and you are able to order the shoe from them, then I would give them your measurements because they will be the best people to tell you which size fits you best. However, if they are not helpful in that regard, then the other option is to do as you are doing with MrP. The only problem with that is that they usually only carry the standard D width. So, if your foot needs the wider width, you can't get it from them. Anyways, you have a few options. MrP has free shipping and returns, so the worst that happens is you have to wait a while.

Personally, I don't really like the 180. I wish they made the le moc' with a goodyear welt because I'm not a big fan of blake. I like the slightly more elongated last and "narrower" look over the 180. However, I originally went to JMW for the 180, and ended up realizing the 180 wasn't for me, but fell in love with some of their other models. So, something to consider haha.
They suggested 6E for sizing and my US size is 7.5 (according to them). The worse thing is that if 180 doesn’t fit my feet there’s no money refund but just store credit refund or exchange... At this point I’m not really feeling to buy the shoes from bountique until I try and see them in person to make sure I want it... maybe I should just buy the shoes when I visit France or somewhere lol

Last edited:

AunToni

Reaction score
They suggested 6E for sizing and my US size is 7.5. The worse thing is that if 180 doesn’t fit my feet there’s no money refund but just store credit refund... idk why I feel punished for buying a pair of shoes...
Wait, JMW doesn't give money refund? I don't know how other brands operate because I've never had to return a shoe like that, but to be honest, for a brand like JMW, which doesn't have stores all around the world, they really make it troublesome to for consumers outside of certain areas to buy their shoes. This is what I was talking about earlier when I said that I think they are arrogant.
Anyways, I would try what they suggest if you sent them the correct measurements of your feet. That is, if you really want the 180.

yunBW

Reaction score
Wait, JMW doesn't give money refund? I don't know how other brands operate because I've never had to return a shoe like that, but to be honest, for a brand like JMW, which doesn't have stores all around the world, they really make it troublesome to for consumers outside of certain areas to buy their shoes. This is what I was talking about earlier when I said that I think they are arrogant.
Anyways, I would try what they suggest if you sent them the correct measurements of your feet. That is, if you really want the 180.
“If the loafer doesn't fit, there is no money refund, only exchange or credit note based on the value of the shoe.” A direct quote from the email. I don’t understand why I can’t get money refund when I’m paying something that’s full price and I’m not even too sure how accurate is my measurement.

I think I will order their suggested few size but in D width and see how it goes.

AunToni

Reaction score

If the loafer doesn't fit, there is no money refund, only exchange or credit note based on the value of the shoe.” A direct quote from the email. I don’t understand why I can’t get money refund when I’m paying something that’s full price and I’m not even too sure how accurate is my measurement.

I think I will order their suggested few size but in D width and see how it goes.
Wait, if you're not going to order their suggested size, don't order it from JMW. Order from MrP. Free and easy returns. That way if the shoe doesn't fit in D width, you can go off of JMW's suggestion and order the E from them.

I agree with you though, I think it's ridiculous that they would refuse money refund, especially since they already make it a hassle to order from them by mail. They really don't care about getting and maintaining new customers, at least not outside of their few focused areas.

yunBW

Reaction score
Wait, if you're going to order their suggested size, don't order it from JMW. Order from MrP. Free and easy returns. That way if the shoe doesn't fit in D width, you can go off of JMW's suggestion and order the E from them.

I agree with you though, I think it's ridiculous that they would refuse money refund, especially since they already make it a hassle to order from them by mail. They really don't care about getting and maintaining new customers, at least not outside of their few focused areas.
That’s my plan.

Btw does anyone have any experience with JL loafer and compared with the 180? I read it somewhere in the thread that the quality is similar. I managed to find a JL on sale for around the similar price (my size as well) as my backup plan

AunToni

Reaction score
That’s my plan.

Btw does anyone have any experience with JL loafer and compared with the 180? I read it somewhere in the thread that the quality is similar. I managed to find a JL on sale for around the similar price (my size as well) as my backup plan
No. Maybe other members can speak to this. I only tried on their Marldon wholecut, but I really didn't want to pay the price. They had some special color or something, very nice, but a little over $2,000. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of JL overall. Can't speak about them other than superficial impressions.

To be honest, besides the le moc', the loafer I really love from JM Weston is this one (see attached picture). I forgot the name of this loafer, but they don't make it anymore. I suspect it was designed by Michel Perry, but I don't know that for sure. It was more expensive than the 180, but honestly, I think it's more beautiful.

Attachments

• WechatIMG1.jpeg
    WechatIMG1.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 219

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads