• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now my personal front runners are the Yves in Root Beer, the Enzo in Hickory, or the Sturges in Hickory. Trying to get something brown or in lighter color to balance off a black heavy rotation. Can't do green as I have the Taos in Army. I've tried on the models but don't have local access to all the colorways.

Any thoughts or advice would be super welcome. My FSA just got loaded and my wife was very surprised to hear it's already been a year since I bought glasses.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Right now my personal front runners are the Yves in Root Beer, the Enzo in Hickory, or the Sturges in Hickory. Trying to get something brown or in lighter color to balance off a black heavy rotation. Can't do green as I have the Taos in Army. I've tried on the models but don't have local access to all the colorways.

Any thoughts or advice would be super welcome. My FSA just got loaded and my wife was very surprised to hear it's already been a year since I bought glasses.

I like the Enzo best, but I don't know if I would do those as opticals. I like them better as sunglasses.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Enzo best, but I don't know if I would do those as opticals. I like them better as sunglasses.
Thanks Derek - yeah I was tentatively planning on doing something like a 10-20% tint on these frames. There's a lesser known Yves frame in Empire that has a light brown/bronze tinted lens. Was thinking something like that.
MONDELLO452_a.jpg

MONDELLO452_indb.jpg

Attachments

• MONDELLO452_inda.jpg
    MONDELLO452_inda.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 60

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@d4nimal alright, that budget Tony Stark comment was funny.

The Domoto does fit very well though. They just remind me of the Taos you already own, except upside down (if that makes sense) and obviously not as frame heavy.

Agree with Derek about the Enzo looking better as sunglasses but I really like the Yves you’re wearing.

verver

Reaction score
@d4nimal , thx for all the pics/vids. Can u repost the vid for the sturges (link didn’t work)? That’s the frame I was most interested in before I got distracted by the LF farsons and got those instead.
btw- nice shearling and pinky ring (back story?)

Pureneat

Reaction score
Yves look good on you. There’s some pictures floating around of Patti Smith wearing Dealans in Empire, looks like an interesting hue.

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score

But, if you haven’t purchased a frame in a year, does that not entitle you to 12 frames?! Must you narrow your choices? No, no you don’t, of course not!

I understand they are not in the running, but I think my subjective favorite on you is the Domoto, they have a ‘70’s Redford cool about them. I would go as far as to advise no longer revisiting Marvel films; in fact, just avoid Robert Downey Jr. altogether. My close runner up is definitely the Enzo, and the Hickory is a great colorway on you. And, I think you can wear them as effortlessly as an optical, as you can a sunglass or tinted frame.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@d4nimal , thx for all the pics/vids. Can u repost the vid for the sturges (link didn’t work)? That’s the frame I was most interested in before I got distracted by the LF farsons and got those instead.
btw- nice shearling and pinky ring (back story?)
I could see that, the Sturges and Farsons are both brow-heavy frames. Here are the Sturges Hickory as optical and sunglasses.

Let me know if those don't work for you. The pinky ring is just something I like. I bought it from a store I really like named Studebaker Metals.

But, if you haven’t purchased a frame in a year, does that not entitle you to 12 frames?! Must you narrow your choices? No, no you don’t, of course not!

I understand they are not in the running, but I think my subjective favorite on you is the Domoto, they have a ‘70’s Redford cool about them. I would go as far as to advise no longer revisiting Marvel films; in fact, just avoid Robert Downey Jr. altogether. My close runner up is definitely the Enzo, and the Hickory is a great colorway on you. And, I think you can wear them as effortlessly as an optical, as you can a sunglass or tinted frame.
Thank you again. Always value your opinion, and the Enzo/Yves are neck and neck at the moment. The Redford vibe didn't escape me, which is why I thought the Domoto would like great on you as well.

If I try the 12 frames in 12 months thing, though, I'm afraid I'm going to be both homeless and divorced.

Yves look good on you. There’s some pictures floating around of Patti Smith wearing Dealans in Empire, looks like an interesting hue.
Thanks for the heads up! I wouldn't have found that on my own.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Derek - yeah I was tentatively planning on doing something like a 10-20% tint on these frames. There's a lesser known Yves frame in Empire that has a light brown/bronze tinted lens. Was thinking something like that.
View attachment 1734179
View attachment 1734181

Yves London which has just been added to the JMM site looks similar to this.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the tip! The Yves Root Beer I was looking at just sold out so I thought I just wasted a ton of time but the London might be even better.

In the meantime, the Domoto in Hickory and Argyle just graduated to the final list.

dsk321

Reaction score
I’m so excited for my preorder London Yves now that I got the molding of my tempest pair to sit comfortably. Too much time spent playing and crying with my heat gun.

it’s definitely my most consistently wearable frame in tempest, and London should be similarly versatile

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup I’m waiting for my store to get the pair in and I’ll be checking them out.

I just can’t recall if they were getting them in Sun or Optical.

Last edited:

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So have been trying to find fit pics of the Kaine but it doesn’t appear to be too popular here. I’ve only noticed @Easily Amused who has actually purchased them and @d4nimal tried them on. Too squared and basic for most here?

Was originally looking for a Taos but I can’t find a colorway i like that’s still available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads