• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
1641518866787.gif

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice. To Derek's point, I actually find my Taos to be similar to BCGs/birth control glasses as well - especially the way I wear them as opticals - and they're my favorite JMM model. There are a bunch of JMMs that have similar analogues to cheaper choices, but I think we're all on the same page on this thread about why we often go with JMM over those.

I probably wasn't clear that I was only using the Kobo picture as a color reference only, not for buying the actual model. The colorway (or something similar) is something I'm considering for the Yves in Root Beer, not Kobo, but every other frame in JMM lineup with a bronze lens and brown frame is made with a hickory (slightly darker) acetate.

Here's a perhaps closer example of what I was considering, with the Yves Root Beer used as an optical on a pic I found on Google and photoshopped for a minute this morning. It's an animated GIF, so every 2 seconds will run through 1) normal optical lens 2) a pale yellow 3) a pale orange. I want to be able to wear the glasses inside, not really for sunglass functionality, which is why I've been turning over the idea of doing a slight tint. Just can't tell if it's a good idea or I should leave it alone.

View attachment 1732487

I've heard the Yves is coming in London/darker less warm brown as well at some point, but who knows where/when (soon?)/if it would work better.
I think these will look great on you however you shade them, or withour shade, but I must draw the line at the hair style, which I do not think will suit you at all!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
how are you guys storing your multiple shades? looking for good storage solutions!

I store mine in these acrylic Muji storage cases. You can stack them alongside each other, row by row, to store as many frames as you need. The compartments slide out pretty easily and the clear acrylic allows you to easily see what's inside. I've been surprised to find that all my JMM frames fit inside these compartments, including larger models such as Taos, Enzos, and PCH.

Unfortunately, Muji doesn't sell these stateside (I don't think). However, you can order them through eBay for about $30 plus shipping. You can find them by searching for "Muji acrylic case."

s-l1600.jpeg

BigRed

Reaction score
I tried the thundercloud. Great glasses but didn’t work for me. Haven’t even heard of the other models so pics are needed.

I’ve posted pictures of both Driftwood frames previously in this thread…just fyi

discobobulated

Reaction score
No disrespect, but that photo looks like the last thing a massive spider would see in some garage in Australia.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear JMM enthusiasts, what are the care routines you follow to clean/reduce the white stuff that builds up on acetate?

My daily opticals are showing these on both sides of the temples and they don't wipe off unfortunately. I find out I could scrap most of them off with my fingernail but they do come back.

IMG_8879.jpg

Pureneat

Reaction score
New models on the JMM website…. Apolio, Plaza, York, Donovan……..

Plaza does it for me,,,,, ?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear JMM enthusiasts, what are the care routines you follow to clean/reduce the white stuff that builds up on acetate?

My daily opticals are showing these on both sides of the temples and they don't wipe off unfortunately. I find out I could scrap most of them off with my fingernail but they do come back.

View attachment 1733831
I'd try a felt buffer wheel on a Dremel to start, then baking soda or toothpaste on a sponge if that doesn't work. Think superfine abrasive.

bsid1

Reaction score
New models on the JMM website…. Apolio, Plaza, York, Donovan……..

Plaza does it for me,,,,, ?

I'm most impressed by how many names for black they can come up with :p The marble effect on the inside of the plaza "Marquina" is super cool -- I wonder if they'll come out with a frame that's completely that color

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads