• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket sleeve buttons undone ... interesting example ...

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to fiddle with my sleeve buttons during boring meetings. Also I've rolled up my jacket sleeves on occasion, but unbuttoning a sleeve otherwise seems poseur to me.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
no, he's right...you're trying too hard

By all means, please PM me with how this is the case. I'd love to know, but I'd rather not further sidetrack this thread.

Originally Posted by Kitontini
There's nothing wrong with leaving 1 button unbuttoned. I do it all the time. What's the point of having working buttons if you're not going to use them?

My dad once painted a closet for a friend that no one but he and his wife would ever see. The friend's wife asked him "Why did you do that? No one will ever know it's there?" His response was "I will."

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If more people leave 1 unbuttoned, then mid-range jackets will be more likely to have functioning button holes, so everybody wins.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kitontini
There's nothing wrong with leaving 1 button unbuttoned. I do it all the time. What's the point of having working buttons if you're not going to use them?

What's the point of having working cuff buttons anyway on a suit or sport jacket? Working or not does it really make any difference?

Seems to me that having button holes could make it harder or impossible for a tailor to alter sleeve lengths if needed.

Actually whats the point in even having buttons on the sleeves at all? Is there some historical reason for them?

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
If more people leave 1 unbuttoned, then mid-range jackets will be more likely to have functioning button holes, so everybody wins.

Everyone loses, now we really need to consider sleeve length.

The "Why have working buttons, when you're not going to use them" argument is a bit silly if you then need to find an artificial forced way to unbutton only one of them.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
Actually whats the point in even having buttons on the sleeves at all? Is there some historical reason for them?

I've seen Dsquared sportcoats that have metal hook & eyelet closures on the sleeves instead of buttons, so when they're done up they're completely invisible and it just appears to be a buttonless cuff. I thought it looked fine, and I think Jil Sander may have done this as well.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
What's the point of having working cuff buttons anyway on a suit or sport jacket? Working or not does it really make any difference?

Seems to me that having button holes could make it harder or impossible for a tailor to alter sleeve lengths if needed.

Functionally, there isn't much reason. But am I the only person who thinks that fake button holes look tacky? (mind you it's all I can afford)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads