1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Jacket sleeve buttons undone ... interesting example ...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by john_sf, May 15, 2011.

1. john_sf

john_sf Well-Known Member

I'm in the camp that considers a button (or two) left unbuttoned on jacket sleeves to be tacky.

However, I think it's only a matter of time before leaving a single one unbuttoned evolves into "correct" or "proper" and this looks like the first step:

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/05/15/RTR2D74H.jpg

It's one thing for Mr. MBA at the hip bar to be doing it, but the CEO of GS has nothing to prove to anyone.

He might just be clueless in the style realm, but however you slice it, this is probably going to become the de facto standard.

2. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior member

There's nothing wrong with leaving 1 button unbuttoned. I do it all the time. What's the point of having working buttons if you're not going to use them?

3. mjphillips

mjphillips Senior member

I'm in the camp that considers a button (or two) left unbuttoned on jacket sleeves to be tacky.

However, I think it's only a matter of time before leaving a single one unbuttoned evolves into "correct" or "proper"....

I don't think there is a "correct" or "incorrect" stance here; it's all personal preference. I mean leaving a button undone is a tad flashy, but nowhere near as flashy as say driving a Mercedes. Blankfein probably didn't even notice - appearing before a Senate/House committee one has bigger concerns....

4. evolsty

evolsty Active Member

the CEO of GS has nothing to prove to anyone.

Usually when criminals are style leaders, they are cool. On the other hand, if he's not a criminal, he's just criminally ignorant. Either way, I doubt he's setting the style standard for anyone.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

oh jeez, here we go.

on a 100% fashion view point, i think it looks just fine, and often do the same on my surgeons cuff sleeves

6. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I don't think there is a "correct" or "incorrect" stance here; it's all personal preference. I mean leaving a button undone is a tad flashy, but nowhere near as flashy as say driving a Mercedes. Blankfein probably didn't even notice - appearing before a Senate/House committee one has bigger concerns....

You live in NYC and consider driving a mercedes flashy?

Thousands of wealthy executives take plain black s550s to work every day. Not real flashy to me.

7. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

What if someone left them all undone?

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

What if someone left them all undone?

[​IMG]

9. Viral

Viral Senior member

However, I think it's only a matter of time before leaving a single one unbuttoned evolves into "correct" or "proper" and this looks like the first step:

It's one thing for Mr. MBA at the hip bar to be doing it, but the CEO of GS has nothing to prove to anyone.

He might just be clueless in the style realm, but however you slice it, this is probably going to become the de facto standard.

you sound paranoid..............why read so much into this?

Do what you want and stop creating useless threads.

10. mjphillips

mjphillips Senior member

You live in NYC and consider driving a mercedes flashy?

Thousands of wealthy executives take plain black s550s to work every day. Not real flashy to me.

I indeed find Mercedes to be excessively showy, but this is obviously just my opinion. (Not all of them, mind you, I love the old SLs). Though if you walk by a bank/law firm here in town you'll see that the black cars lined up out front aren't MB or BMW, but plain old Lincoln Town Cars.

No one is looking to Blankfein for style, but the way the boss dresses has a way of trickling down....

11. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Lets really think about this. Since ost of the people who would even notice this are SF types, and no one in Congress is an SF Type, maybe he was trying to exude an air of "I'm not as rich as everyone thinks, looks, I can't even afford all the damn buttons on my cuffs!"

12. lilmann40

lilmann40 Senior member

Honestly, that is soooooooo minor and unnoticeable that it's funny that it even is a thread.

13. glowell222

glowell222 Senior member

Lets really think about this.
    Lets not.

14. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Lets really think about this. Since ost of the people who would even notice this are SF types, and no one in Congress is an SF Type, maybe he was trying to exude an air of "I'm not as rich as everyone thinks, looks, I can't even afford all the damn buttons on my cuffs!"

Maybe he was hoping that they would know that they're surgeons cuffs and by having one undone he was meaning to imply that his continued freedom and manipulations of the financial markets were as important as a skilled cardiovascular surgeon in a quadruple bypass.

15. unjung

unjung Senior member

When I'm hammered drunk, I like to roll up my jacket sleeves.

16. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Faux buttonholes don't look right. I just accept them as a necessary evil. It's no different than fake leather in my mind when I see it. Even with the buttons buttoned, working cuffs will look different.

17. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

What's the point of having working buttons if you're not going to use them?

As a rationalization that doesn't even make sense.

18. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

If I didn't actually know about real button holes on suits, I would have said he's got a button missing and needs to get it replaced. As it is it's showing off and does nothing for me.

19. john_sf

john_sf Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with leaving 1 button unbuttoned. I do it all the time. What's the point of having working buttons if you're not going to use them?

No, that's not the point I'm making.

I'm saying that when you see it on a big time CEO, in front of congress, it's closer to being "the right way".

Which is interesting.

20. 89826

89826 Senior member

As a rationalization that doesn't even make sense.

What is the point of having buttons if they don't work?