• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 09 Discussion

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
It depends on the store you shop at. At stores with a high student traffic, you cannot stack the discount and sale prices. I don't know if I can at my local one yet, but probably can't (CURSE YOU GEORGETOWN!!).

I've tried to like the Officer's Chino, but just too baggy in the seat.

Also if you go to an Alden corporate store they should be able to order any model you want. If not buy off Shoe Mart or call a store.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
It depends on the store you shop at. At stores with a high student traffic, you cannot stack the discount and sale prices. I don't know if I can at my local one yet, but probably can't (CURSE YOU GEORGETOWN!!).

Also if you go to an Alden corporate store they should be able to order any model you want. If not buy off Shoe Mart or call a store.

****** must be bigger than yours, relatively.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Seriously, though, I find myself torn these days between the slim look and the more classic and fuller look. Both seem to have their place. I feel like the slim look is good for summer, especially with t-shirts and polos.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Damn. And here I was, for that very reason, thinking about going into student/teacher-ing.

I'm going to write J. Crew corporate and ask them when they'll start honoring AARP membership discounts. Their clientele will only continue to grow older, after all.

What about your employee discount?

FromCAtoCO

Reaction score
I too tried to like the officer chino. Bought them in khaki and green when they first came out. The rise is waaaay to long. After picking up some RRL officer chino, the difference is remarkable.

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger

You used to be able to legitimately stack them, I did it all the time at various J Crews...but it's now company policy to not allow that.

single speed

Reaction score
just recieved the washed wool herringbone vest and the cotton cashmere cardi in the mail. so incredibly comfortable!

noob time, t shirts under the vest? yea or nay?

if so , what style? i.e white v neck, etc.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FromCAtoCO
I too tried to like the officer chino. Bought them in khaki and green when they first came out. The rise is waaaay to long. After picking up some RRL officer chino, the difference is remarkable.

I don't notice any problem with the rise. It is longer than my other khakis, but it feels appropriate for the overall fit. They fit me a bit like a broken in 501s.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by single speed
just recieved the washed wool herringbone vest and the cotton cashmere cardi in the mail. so incredibly comfortable! noob time, t shirts under the vest? yea or nay? if so , what style? i.e white v neck, etc.
It really depends on the rest of your fit, but cardigan's are really great all purpose pieces, like a hoodie that can be dressed up or down. They work with crew neck and v neck tees, tank tops, button downs with or without ties, whatever. I've even seen cardi's under a blazer with a shirt and tie, though it's tough to make work. I've actually worn some of my cardigans that have high buttons, buttoned up with nothing underneath, but that's not everybody's gig. Have fun with it. Also...I'm thinking about working at J Crew for the summer...thoughts?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
It really depends on the rest of your fit, but cardigan's are really great all purpose pieces, like a hoodie that can be dressed up or down. They work with crew neck and v neck tees, tank tops, button downs with or without ties, whatever. I've even seen cardi's under a blazer with a shirt and tie, though it's tough to make work. I've actually worn some of my cardigans that have high buttons, buttoned up with nothing underneath, but that's not everybody's gig. Have fun with it.

Also...I'm thinking about working at J Crew for the summer...thoughts?

If you are going to work in a retail store, that would be a good choice.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I separately hand washed my butter color 9 inch shorts and white broken in khakis last week. Today as I was organizing my clothes, I noticed huge spots discoloration on both of those items especially the white broken in khakis. Has anyone had this problem with their pants/shorts and does anyone know how I can get rid off the spots.
I tried to bleach the white khakis, but the spots are still there.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace

Also...I'm thinking about working at J Crew for the summer...thoughts?

Hell, yeah. I work a full-time "career" job at least 40 hours a week, but if I thought I had the energy for it, I'd get a part-time gig there too. I'd love to have the discount, and I'm enough of a fan of the place that I could really get into it. But again, time & energy...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads