• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Fall/Winter 2012

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They will do good in Fairview IMO.
I used to like topman but not anymore. I have a well fitting hoody from them. I know what you're talking about with the white space, but honestly it's not that much stock in there. A few pieces but nothing to go crazy over. It's still part of the bay and I don't see many people even looking in that section. I checked the prices for a simon spurr sweater or one of those brands in that section and it was $298.... No thanks. :nodding:
I hope J.Crew has sales because I like how their clothes fit.

But what other store comes close to having J. Crew prices at the Fairview? The Fairview Mall seems to cater more towards a younger clientèle, and I just can't see people lining up at the cash registers like they might at the Eaton Centre. If Harry Rosen can have a hard time getting customers at the Fairview, I don't imagine J.Crew would do that much better.

As for J.Crew itself, I hope some of these pieces will find themselves at Winners. About a year or two ago I saw some Ludlow suits on sale for about $250.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked out J.Crew's Eaton Centre location yet, I will in few weeks when I have a breakfast meeting downtown Toronto. Just want point out, the reason why there is a price spread between what you see on the store shelves and the website is courtesy the Canadian Federal Government's 18% in tariffs on clothing and shoes. As for Alden not being present in the Canadian stores, my guess J.Crew is not allowed to sell the brand outside the USA which sucks.

This Op-Ed piece sums the situation up quite nicely why there's a price spread at J. Crew Canada vs. their website:

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2012/10/02/terence-corcoran-at-25-time-for-change/

Last edited:

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The $300 price tag on the peacoat is hard to handle. Glad I got mine for $45 at the clearance store. I don't know how the clearance store does it, but I have found a few great deals there.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a store and tried on the Ludlow herringbone sportcoat...

The coat seemed to feature lower than 'normal' button stance, and top-of-pocket-to-hem appeared to be quiet short, almost like the jacket has been shorten from a longer jacket

dgonsh

Reaction score
I haven't checked out J.Crew's Eaton Centre location yet, I will in few weeks when I have a breakfast meeting downtown Toronto. Just want point out, the reason why there is a price spread between what you see on the store shelves and the website is courtesy the Canadian Federal Government's 18% in tariffs on clothing and shoes. As for Alden not being present in the Canadian stores, my guess J.Crew is not allowed to sell the brand outside the USA which sucks.
This Op-Ed piece sums the situation up quite nicely why there's a price spread at J. Crew Canada vs. their website:
http://opinion.financialpost.com/2012/10/02/terence-corcoran-at-25-time-for-change/
I understand why there is a price difference. I understand that there are policies in place to discourage big US companies from infiltrating the canadian market. Having said that, it's bullshit. And most people won't stand for it.

There are too many alternatives to getting the significantly better priced merchandise for the USD rates, especially when there are significant sales AND merchandise that we do not get in Canada.

That article is a good read and makes the point that these policies are hurting canadians in order to line the pockets of big gov't. Consumers, especially in border cities like toronto (well 1.5 hours from border) are too savvy to support such policies. There are too many options to avoid getting financially raped.

Having said all that, J.Crew is going to have to find a solution to compete with Club Monaco and The Gap and whatever other mall brands its competing with to offer a product that is attractive to the canadian buyer. Their In Good Company brands are scarcely offered, so its all mall brand line stuff anyway. I expect many flash sales to come.

Nazareth

Reaction score
I found an old J. Crew pinpoint oxford shirt in my closet the other day, probably about two years old. I like the shirt a lot but it doesn't really fit. Do they ever bring this style back during some point of the year?

King Leer

Reaction score
They've been using a newer model of oxford shirt, probably changed factories or raw materials providers overseas.

However, they have greatly been improving the cut of their shirts!

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Almost always is

true, but usually when they have a sale coupon they add some full priced **** that they've discounted $5 or $10 to the final sale lineup. this time, bubkus.

jasonleb1

Reaction score
I got an e-mail from them yesterday saying their website would be unavailable today as they get a "very stylish makeover." I thought it'd be the new collection, but seeing as how the site is still up and running I'm guessing this isn't going to happen anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads