• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is becoming a lawyer a mistake?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I'm a strong supporter of doctors as, when you get sick, they try to heal you. Rat bastards.
The F***ers. Trying to help and all. I've been acquainted with far too many doctors for my liking in my day. So ,many were incredible. Only one I really didn't like, because he was an academic in an ultra-specialized field with few practitioners, and really had zero bedside manner. Took a few years, but I forgave him for coming off as a total schmuck -- we need those scientists on the cutting edge, and if they treat their patients like experiments, it may just be how they're wired, and not any lack of real humanity, only an apparent one. ~ H

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm a strong supporter of doctors as, when you get sick, they try to heal you. Rat bastards.

Not if they're out of mana, which the lazy ones usually are because they don't manage their heals well.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a big part of it. Someone must pay. Not, "Someone is at fault," just someone must pay. Life is unfair and too many people see a negative medical outcome as a winning lottery ticket.
Yep. +1

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
The F***ers. Trying to help and all.

I've been acquainted with far too many doctors for my liking in my day. So ,many were incredible. Only one I really didn't like, because he was an academic in an ultra-specialized field with few practitioners, and really had zero bedside manner. Took a few years, but I forgave him for coming off as a total schmuck -- we need those scientists on the cutting edge, and if they treat their patients like experiments, it may just be how they're wired, and not any lack of real humanity, only an apparent one.

~ H

Bed side manner is the best risk mitigation tool any physician can have.

Reasonable take on a certain breed of doctor.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Not if they're out of mana, which the lazy ones usually are because they don't manage their heals well.

Need more +regen and to re-examine their talent tree. Just saying.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bed side manner is the best risk mitigation tool any physician can have.
I believe that.
Reasonable take on a certain breed of doctor.
Took me the better part of a decade to come to that way of thinking, Pio. Nearly a decade. ~ H

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
The Law can be a club that people may swing not merely at human injustices, but also at the unfairness of life. Life is unfair. It isn't always someone's fault.

But of course someone must pay. That's what lawyers are for, right? (he says, aping a perverted, but all-too-common viewpoint).

~ H

Yes, it's the Marine's fault when he takes his wife to the doctor, has a blood test done, no one reads the results of the test, wife is sent home and told to drink fluids and take some asprin, and then she dies. Tough breaks. I mean, the test should have read itself, right? If it did, it would have seen the severe bacterial infection and hospitalized the Marine's wife. The patient could have stayed at home, drank fluids, taken asprin, and gotten the same result (death!).

It's easy to call med-mal lawyers scum, until you read the cases they are brought in to prosecute (or have a member of your family maimed or killed by carelessness).

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
One of the eternal challenges in law is trying to fashion systems and rules that necessarily are of general application to be applied in individual cases. Obviously, most of us can agree that it make sense to hold terrible, reckless doctors accountable for the harm they do to people Most of us can also agree, however, that it is regrettable when doctors who are careful and blameless are, or feel, extorted.

But whether we're talking tort reform generally, med-mal in particular, employment discrimination claims, or many other types of cases, it is deceptively difficult to design and apply a system that reliably leads to the outcome of "people with legit cases get properly compensated, and people with bogus cases get bupkis." Even a system that does this as efficiently as possible (which I'm not suggesting is necessarily what we have now) is going to be susceptible to various forms of human fallibility that will lead to undesirable results in some individual cases.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Yes, it's the Marine's fault when he takes his wife to the doctor, has a blood test done, no one reads the results of the test, wife is sent home and told to drink fluids and take some asprin, and then she dies. Tough breaks. I mean, the test should have read itself, right? If it did, it would have seen the severe bacterial infection and hospitalized the Marine's wife. The patient could have stayed at home, drank fluids, taken asprin, and gotten the same result (death!). It's easy to call med-mal lawyers scum, until you read the cases they are brought in to prosecute (or have a member of your family maimed or killed by carelessness).
Whoa. I don't think that med-mal lawyers are scum, but I do think it's an unsupportable leap for you to infer that from my post, which was more critical of clients than lawyers, per se. I note that you did not quote my intro, where I agreed with you, and then noted that "often people use the law and lawyers as a sword with very little righteousness in it." Just by simple hermeneutics, my use of '"often" indicates that this is not always the case, so your citing a case where a cause was justified does not negate my thesis. I also noted that "The Law can be a club that people may swing not merely at human injustices, but also at the unfairness of life," and from the highlighted portions you can see I was limiting my language to indicate that not all causes were inappropriate, though I do believe that many, and perhaps, perhaps most are. I know lawyers in Med-mal and in PI, good, honest people who help those who have suffered...much. But I also know that people, by nature, want someone, anyone to pay, when life itself is just unfair, and lawyers are often at the point of that spear. Med-mal and PI likely see the largest proportion of those cases by default and not design, and thus may be unfairly stigmatized. But it may also be true that those fields are attractive for those for whom the stigma is entirely appropriate. It's a hard position to be in. ~ H

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
There's no amount of compensation that could replace being able to suck out brain.
devil.gif

Exactly, if that's your thing.

Although you have to take a lot of punishment before the bosses let you anywhere near the brain. Plus neurosurgical outcomes are often very depressing, particularly in emergency work.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ anything that requires surgery implies you're nearly fuc%ked no? I would not trust any medical solution that requires surgery. I can tolerate pills and rays of high speed subatomic particles.

ferbctg

Reaction score
Well, in my country (Vietnam), the regulations is not too strict I think it is a wrong choice.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
as always, no, it's probably not a great idea. unless you really want to be a lawyer.

i never understood how these decisions were so complicated for some people. i can tell you right off the bat right now if i have any interested in becoming a doctor, lawyer, dentist, accountant, nurse, whatever. right away.

the people who struggle with these decisions are the ones who are on the fence anyway, and if you're on the fence about law school you probably shouldn't go. i wouldn't say that it's like doctors and priests (where i feel like the successful ones are the ones who felt like it was their calling) but it's definitely close.

You are young and naive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads