• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got an iPad for Father's Day. I'm an iNoob and google gives me a gazillion hits for everything I search. Can someone tell me what software (preferably freeware) I should use to rip DVDs and add films to my itunes library in a format that's good for iPad?

Also, any best apps recommendations for the pad ? Thanks guys!!

Sent from my iPad

Not really

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
So I got an iPad for Father's Day. I'm an iNoob and google gives me a gazillion hits for everything I search. Can someone tell me what software (preferably freeware) I should use to rip DVDs and add films to my itunes library in a format that's good for iPad?

Sent from my iPad

Not really

A review after you've had a chance to use it a bit would be great.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
A review after you've had a chance to use it a bit would be great.

Sure. First impressions are dominated by the frustration of not being able to multi-task/window
facepalm.gif

arsenic

Reaction score
I received a base model last week as a gift. Unlike a computer or phone, I've been trying to find a use for it. The virtual keyboard is difficult to use when its on my lap or table and in portrait mode. I find it much easier to use when I tilt at an angle and rotate to landscape.

As for uses, I can see myself syncing my calendar and emails to the device and replying to them when I'm on the subway. The iPad can be useful for presentations to clients and investors. I also plan to use it (perhaps with the Epicurious app) as a reference in the kitchen for cooking and mixing cocktails.

Lets see if the iPad can change my lifestyle. I feel that Apple wants to create a need rather than to address one.

Hobbs

Reaction score

I use 1ClickDVDtoiPod. It's by far the most user friendly and fastest of all the programs I've tried out. You can find it free easily enough.

Use DVD43 for decryption.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Use MakeMKV to rip the DVD, and Handbrake to encode the DVD to a smaller format for the iPad. Use the AppleTV or Universal settings in Handbrake. Both are free programs. Encoding will take a very long time, even if you have a fast computer.

--Andre

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sent from my iPad

Not really

Sure. First impressions are dominated by the frustration of not being able to multi-task/window
facepalm.gif

lol I found this endearing. Might want to read Gizmodo or Lifehacker which regularly do roundups of the best apps every week.
Originally Posted by A Y
Use MakeMKV to rip the DVD, and Handbrake to encode the DVD to a smaller format for the iPad. Use the AppleTV or Universal settings in Handbrake. Both are free programs. Encoding will take a very long time, even if you have a fast computer.

--Andre

In other words, it's a giant pain **********. I find it takes me over an hour to encode a 120 minute-long movie. Can't beat that plug and play convenience! **** you antiquated laptops and netbooks!
bounce2.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
buy the dvd in iTunes you cheap pricks. Or USEtheNET.

You mean I should re-purchase DVDs I already own? That makes sense...

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should put my iPad™ in my Louis Vuitton™ briefcase so everyone knows how super rich I am. Don't want people to think I'm cheap.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Do any ISP still have USENET servers?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean I should re-purchase DVDs I already own? That makes sense...

It is illegal to break copy protection on a DVD, even if it is to make a copy for yourself. This is according to the dmca, and it supersedes fair use.

Plus I was just trying to do a usenet joke. Astroweb, 10 bucks a month, download it in like 4 minutes

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda annoyed by the fairy tale prices of Apple. 599 EUR for the 16GB 3G version of the iPad. My notebook died a while ago (I still have a quite up-to-date desktop system) and my smartphone makes horrible bulges in my suit jacket. So I've concluded that I'd be better off by using a small and light-weight phone (SE 890i) just for calls & texting and getting an iPad despite my disgust for Apple.

Now I have to see if I'm willing to bite for that price. If there at least was a phone provider in Switzerland who offers subsidized iPads with a data flat but no.

Something else. How much space do I need? I have a MP3 player for my music so actually all I'd put on it is apps, pictures (I guess max. 5 GB) and some music-clips. Will the 16 GB cut it or do I need to upgrade to 32 GB?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly go for 64 or 32. 16 is tiny if you intend on saving stuff on it, rather than simply use it to browse the web.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads