• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

DevonM

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been reading up on Indochino recently and I've seen a lot of people mentioning higher-cut armholes, and it is definitely something I'm interested in.
However, it seems like it's not an option anymore. Is this because it's now the standard, or because it's not available?

How should I contact them and what should I tell them? Also, are there any other common modifications that I should request that aren't listed?

Last edited:

StormRider

Reaction score
I emailed them right after I placed my order to say I want high armholes and to lower the button stance. Don't know how both will turn out though.

iskyi

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been a lurker on this forum for a little while since I ordered my suit from indochino. I've been reading a lot of posts and you all have good insights on indochino suits or suits in general. So I got my suit last week and was only able to try it on yesterday since I was away on business. I am wondering if you all can give me some critique on my suit. To me it seem ok maybe the shoulder is a little wide. But the biggest problem with my suit is that they messed up my pants. They are at least 3 inches too long according to my measurement and a half inch too wide on the waist. Do you guys suggest that I have them redo the pants? I mean 3 inches is a lot and it seems to make my knee area a little wide since it is 3 inches longer. Also I thought the pants would had been slimmer fit but the dont seem like it. Any suggestion on how to do that? Also do you guys think the suit is slim enough too? Thanks in advance

iskyi

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been lurking in this thread for a while, well since I put in my order to indochino for a suit. You guys are very knowledgeable in indochino suits or just suits in general. So I just received the suit last week but haven't had a chance to try it on till yesterday because I was away on business. I would like to ask for your expert critique on my suit. I think it seems ok but the shoulders to me seems a bit wide and there seems to be some extra padding making the shoulder edge pop up a little. I wanted a slim suit but I do not know if it is slim enough, what do you guys think? The biggest disappointment about the suit is not the jacket but the pants. They are 3 inches too long and the waist is half an inch too wide. My girlfriend made all my measurement according to the video instruction, so I do not think it was my error to begin with. Do you guys think I should have them remake the pants? Being 3 inches longer than I specified the knees seems to be wider too so if I have it tailor 3 inches shorter will it look ok? I was thinking the pants would be in slim fit but I don't think its slim enough, any suggestion on making it slimmer? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MeasureOfMan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been reading up on Indochino recently and I've seen a lot of people mentioning higher-cut armholes, and it is definitely something I'm interested in.
However, it seems like it's not an option anymore. Is this because it's now the standard, or because it's not available?

How should I contact them and what should I tell them? Also, are there any other common modifications that I should request that aren't listed?

Email the concierge. I asked for high armholes the first time around, and they ignored it. The armhole I got is the standard 9.5"-ish, and they eventually told me they can take off 1.5" in the remake. I also asked to remove most of the shoulder padding, and the shoulders look weird and boxy, especially when lifting the arms. If you want a skinny fit in the arms and shoulders, you really have to beg, apparently!

jbernard

Reaction score

Hi all, I've been lurking in this thread for a while, well since I put in my order to indochino for a suit. You guys are very knowledgeable in indochino suits or just suits in general. So I just received the suit last week but haven't had a chance to try it on till yesterday because I was away on business.  I would like to ask for your expert critique on my suit. I think it seems ok but the shoulders to me seems a bit wide and there seems to be some extra padding making the shoulder edge pop up a little. I wanted a slim suit but I do not know if it is slim enough, what do you guys think? The biggest disappointment about the suit is not the jacket but the pants. They are 3 inches too long and the waist is half an inch too wide. My girlfriend made all my measurement according to the video instruction, so I do not think it was my error to begin with. Do you guys think I should have them remake the pants? Being 3 inches longer than I specified the knees seems to be wider too so if I have it tailor 3 inches shorter will it look ok? I was thinking the pants would be in slim fit but I don't think its slim enough, any suggestion on making it slimmer? Thanks in advance.

Bad new: the shoulders are definitely to wide. And it will require a remake, most bespoke suit makers would suggest it over recutting the suit shoulders.
Good news: it looks like everything else is pretty well fitted.

If you like. And if your body type will allow I would get it tappered a little more. But I would have a local tailor do that as indochino seems to do tapering much different that most people like.

Last edited:

iskyi

Reaction score
How much do you think I should take off ? .5 inch from each side of the shoulder? Also I just checked indochino for the alteration/ remake form so I decided to double check my measurement and I was shock to see that they did not use most of my measurement. They were all inflated....like my chest was made ti 42 when I put in 38 and no wonder why my pants were too long because they made it 3 inch longer. Is this suppose to happen? They take your measurements that you give them and add like 3 inches to them?

MeasureOfMan

Reaction score
How much do you think I should take off ? .5 inch from each side of the shoulder? Also I just checked indochino for the alteration/ remake form so I decided to double check my measurement and I was shock to see that they did not use most of my measurement. They were all inflated....like my chest was made ti 42 when I put in 38 and no wonder why my pants were too long because they made it 3 inch longer. Is this suppose to happen? They take your measurements that you give them and add like 3 inches to them?

You're comparing the body measurements you input to the garment measurements they translate those into. They should be a little bigger, but you are correct - they over-inflate them. I had to have a full inch taken off the chest in my remake. It would probably be better to just let the customers input garment measurements from the beginning.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Email the concierge. I asked for high armholes the first time around, and they ignored it. The armhole I got is the standard 9.5"-ish, and they eventually told me they can take off 1.5" in the remake. I also asked to remove most of the shoulder padding, and the shoulders look weird and boxy, especially when lifting the arms. If you want a skinny fit in the arms and shoulders, you really have to beg, apparently!

Yikes!
baldy[1].gif

jbernard

Reaction score

Probably 1/2" on the shoulders. Indochino did the same thing with the suit I bought from them. Excent much worse, my shoulder measurement went from 19.5 to 21.5... It's very annoying. They do make it bigger because of body vs. garment size, but there is no way if you are a 38" chest it should be a 42" suit chest. Maybe a 40" But 4 inches is a lot! It's the difference between a slim fit italian suit and a traditional american suit. I think they do garment sizes because when you go get measured for a bespoke suit you are suppose to bring you best fitting suit. They then take both your body measurements and the suit measurements and decide what is best for you. The problem it seems with Indochino is they seem a little incompetent in this area.

If you are happy with everything but the shoulders of the suit, you should make sure to tell their customer service you want the exact same jacket measurements just a better shoulder.

iskyi

Reaction score
Probably 1/2" on the shoulders. Indochino did the same thing with the suit I bought from them. Excent much worse, my shoulder measurement went from 19.5 to 21.5... It's very annoying. They do make it bigger because of body vs. garment size, but there is no way if you are a 38" chest it should be a 42" suit chest. Maybe a 40" But 4 inches is a lot! It's the difference between a slim fit italian suit and a traditional american suit. I think they do garment sizes because when you go get measured for a bespoke suit you are suppose to bring you best fitting suit. They then take both your body measurements and the suit measurements and decide what is best for you. The problem it seems with Indochino is they seem a little incompetent in this area.

If you are happy with everything but the shoulders of the suit, you should make sure to tell their customer service you want the exact same jacket measurements just a better shoulder.

I was thinking off 3/4" off the shoulder, what do you think? Since I measure it to be 17 and they gave me 18. Also I want a slimmer jacket so I was thinking of decreasing the chest from their 42 to 39 or 39.5. Stomach from 38 to 37 since I gave them 36 ( this was with room to spare, I used their 1 finger extra method) Do you think the sleeve length is good? The shirt they sent me was 1/2" too long so I was going to decrease the shirt sleeve by 1/4 or 1/2" and jacket sleeve by 1/4". Also I think the wrist is a little too wide so I might decrease it by 1/2" and decrease the jacket hip by 1/4 - 1/2"

The pants needs to be completely remade too don't you think? They made it 3 inches too long . Also I want a slimmer look on the pants, what do you think of the following measurements: decreasing thigh and knee by 3/4" and waist was a little too wide so by 1/4 or 1/2". I don't mind taking it to a tailor to take the 3 inches but I am worry that the knees will look weird afterwards, any thoughts on this?

Any insight would be great because I will be contacting them tonight for the remake. The end product is bit of a disappointment because I want to use this suit for interviews since I am in the process of looking for a new job. Do you know if you have to sent the suit you have now back right away after you request for the remake? Or do you send it in after you received the remake?

Thanks Again.

Last edited:

iskyi

Reaction score
You're comparing the body measurements you input to the garment measurements they translate those into. They should be a little bigger, but you are correct - they over-inflate them. I had to have a full inch taken off the chest in my remake. It would probably be better to just let the customers input garment measurements from the beginning.

I know they way over inflated my measurements , especially in my pants cause I mean really do I need an extra 3 inches

jbernard

Reaction score
I was thinking off 3/4" off the shoulder, what do you think? Since I measure it to be 17 and they gave me 18. Also I want a slimmer jacket so I was thinking of decreasing the chest from their 42 to 39 or 39.5. Stomach from 38 to 37 since I gave them 36 ( this was with room to spare, I used their 1 finger extra method) Do you think the sleeve length is good? The shirt they sent me was 1/2" too long so I was going to decrease the shirt sleeve by 1/4 or 1/2" and jacket sleeve by 1/4". Also I think the wrist is a little too wide so I might decrease it by 1/2" and decrease the jacket hip by 1/4 - 1/2"

The pants needs to be completely remade too don't you think? They made it 3 inches too long . Also I want a slimmer look on the pants, what do you think of the following measurements: decreasing thigh and knee by 3/4" and waist was a little too wide so by 1/4 or 1/2". I don't mind taking it to a tailor to take the 3 inches but I am worry that the knees will look weird afterwards, any thoughts on this?

Any insight would be great because I will be contacting them tonight for the remake. The end product is bit of a disappointment because I want to use this suit for interviews since I am in the process of looking for a new job. Do you know if you have to sent the suit you have now back right away after you request for the remake? Or do you send it in after you received the remake?

Thanks Again.

3/4 could be great for the shoulders before you do, measure the jacket shoulders and make sure they are actually 18" like they say on the website. And yeah just go buy how you want the jacket chest, waist, etc to fit

Yes they do (pants). I didn't notice before. Sorry. But the pants are way to long and the thigh (depending on how slim you want them) probably need 3/4" to 1.5" smaller. As far as I know the knees should be fine, but I do know a tailor can only taper pant legs so much with out taking the pants completely apart.

It does look like the jacket sleeves are too short, there should only be about 1/4" to 1/2" tops of shirt showing. The best way to measure it (according to todays standards) are:
The shirt sleeve should go to the start of your hand. Add 1/4" to 1/2" for the wrinkles your elbow will make and make sure it fits your wrist correctly.
Jacket sleeves should be 1/4" shorter. I generally measure to my wrist bone. More towards the side closest to my hand (hopefully that makes sense).

As far as the measurements my rule on sleeves is too long is much better than too short. If you look at a lot of fashion and TV shows, you will actually see a lot of men don't have their shirt showing at all and their sleeve goes to the start of their hand. My interview jacket is this style because the first time the interviewer is going to see you hand is when they shake your hand. So when I have my hand stretched out it will be perfect and it will still look good when they are at rest. See pictures I attached. He even has his arms best in one, while wearing cufflinks and you cant see his shirt yet.

I don't know if you have to send it back before the remake. But you should email them fast. I would also make a fuss about how it is their fault making the suit bad. Especially if you KNOW that your measurement were correct. They shouldn't make you pay to ship it to china or canada when it was their fault.

Last edited:

iskyi

Reaction score
3/4 could be great for the shoulders before you do, measure the jacket shoulders and make sure they are actually 18" like they say on the website. And yeah just go buy how you want the jacket chest, waist, etc to fit

Yes they do (pants). I didn't notice before. Sorry. But the pants are way to long and the thigh (depending on how slim you want them) probably need 3/4" to 1.5" smaller. As far as I know the knees should be fine, but I do know a tailor can only taper pant legs so much with out taking the pants completely apart.

It does look like the jacket sleeves are too short, there should only be about 1/4" to 1/2" tops of shirt showing. The best way to measure it (according to todays standards) are:
The shirt sleeve should go to the start of your hand. Add 1/4" to 1/2" for the wrinkles your elbow will make and make sure it fits your wrist correctly.
Jacket sleeves should be 1/4" shorter. I generally measure to my wrist bone. More towards the side closest to my hand (hopefully that makes sense).

As far as the measurements my rule on sleeves is too long is much better than too short. If you look at a lot of fashion and TV shows, you will actually see a lot of men don't have their shirt showing at all and their sleeve goes to the start of their hand. My interview jacket is this style because the first time the interviewer is going to see you hand is when they shake your hand. So when I have my hand stretched out it will be perfect and it will still look good when they are at rest. See pictures I attached. He even has his arms best in one, while wearing cufflinks and you cant see his shirt yet.

I don't know if you have to send it back before the remake. But you should email them fast. I would also make a fuss about how it is their fault making the suit bad. Especially if you KNOW that your measurement were correct. They shouldn't make you pay to ship it to china or canada when it was their fault.

Thanks for the advice. I am a little confuse in when you say "It does look like the jacket sleeves are too short, there should only be about 1/4" to 1/2" tops of shirt showing. " Did you mean its too long ? Because later u say that it should be 1/4" shorter or did you mean that its too short compared to where the shirt is? Yea the shirt is too long it passes where my hand starts and yes I only wanted a 1/4" of the shirt to show . I think the jacket sleeve might just hit my wrist bone I will have to check again when I get home after work if it is then I will leave the jacket sleeve length unchange.

Did they pay for your return shipping? Yea I am going to try to sound a little frustrated on the email by saying that I am disappointed and unsatisfy with my suit and saying that its not as fitted as I expected it to be and would like a remake with the following measurement. I did some adjustment to the my measurement section of the indochino site where they show you what measurement they used and just used the edit button to adjust my sizes. Would it be better to point them to my changes or tell them everything I want on the email? My 14 days are almost up so I got to email them soon ....probably tonight or tomorrow because I want to be sure first. I should had checked sooner but I was out of state when I got the suit.

Thanks again

Last edited:

jbernard

Reaction score

Thanks for the advice. I am a little confuse in when you say "It does look like the jacket sleeves are too short, there should only be about 1/4" to 1/2" tops of shirt showing. " Did you mean its too long ? Because later u say that it should be 1/4" shorter or did you mean that its too short compared to where the shirt is? Yea the shirt is too long it passes where my hand starts and yes I only wanted a 1/4" of the shirt to show . I think the jacket sleeve might just hit my wrist bone I will have to check again when I get home after work if it is then I will leave the jacket sleeve length unchange. Did they pay for your return shipping? Yea I am going to try to sound a little frustrated on the email by saying that I am disappointed and unsatisfy with my suit and saying that its not as fitted as I expected it to be and would like a remake with the following measurement. I did some adjustment to the my measurement section of the indochino site where they show you what measurement they used and just used the edit button to adjust my sizes. Would it be better to point them to my changes or tell them everything I want on the email? My 14 days are almost up so I got to email them soon ....probably tonight or tomorrow because I want to be sure first. I should had checked sooner but I was out of state when I got the suit. Thanks again
Sorry for the confusion. It looks like your suit sleeves are too short. It it hard to say how much because your shirt sleeve is too long. Basically you want your suit sleeve length no more than 1/4 shorter then a perfect shirt sleeve length. Say my perfect shirt sleeve length is 22" I would have my suit sleeve length 21.75". They didn't pay for my return shipping. But I returned the suit. I didn't get it remade.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads