• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in general... why do people look better as they grow up?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
+1

To add...
Very few look better when they are older.
Observe the vanity of older people who go for facelifts and other surgerys, hair dyes,
makeup, clothes, etc, and anything else to try to look younger. $$$
I am sensing the OP is, homself younger and possibly respects older people,
which is very commendable.
To the OP, pick the age you respect the most, or where you would like to be.
Write that number down with a memo. When you reach that age yourself,
see if you agree with yourself later. In the interim, enjoy your youth; every minute of it.
Achieve all that you can while you are in the prime of your life because life and looks gets harder as you get older..much harder.

Use fewer words. Use the 'Enter' key less.

Simplicio

Reaction score
The people who look better might be the people who have learned something. You really have to try to do this as you get older. There isn't much excuse for not doing so.

yodawg

Reaction score
Very few look better when they are older.
i iz asian though.
smile.gif

i wasn't talking about old old people but they don't look so bad either. just mid twenties and onwards compared to a decade earlier old.

People generally find those of their same age group the most attractive regardless of what age group they fall into. You're probably just stating the convergence of two psychological effects.

Therefore, you probably found children more attractive as a child, teenagers more attractive as teenagers, young adults as one of them, middle aged at that time in your life, etc.

It's just the recency effect that makes you think that your most recent opinion is the true one. You've forgotten or consider previous opinions less important.
i dunno, i could go a few decades up or 1 down (would be just about legal).

MrNick

Reaction score
I look better as I age because I lost 80 lbs a few years ago and take care of myself now.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
Use fewer words. Use the 'Enter' key less.

If you can't keep up with me, don't read my posts.
smile.gif

wetnose

Reaction score
One word: confidence.

I was a whole different person at 25 compared to 16 because of the things I had done and achieved. Even if I looked more or less the same, I sure felt different and projected it outwards. Maybe it was swagger for a while, but now it's just quiet assured confidence.

pronov

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with this post. I have my 10 year HS reunion coming up but am friends with a couple of my old HS buddies on FB...from what I've seen, almost all of them have gotten uglier or fatter or both, my friends and their friends that are tagged in their pictures. It's sad really.

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Awareness. As you mature, you stop with the stupid trendy **** and start trending towards the classic, time tested stuff. Generally. Some people never realize how stupid they look. Case in point, the owner of Abercrombie:

For the record, A&F is a publicly traded company (ANF on the NYSE).

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yodawg
i'm talking about high school/ college to after. is it because we're finally earning and can chose to spend more money on haircuts? is it awareness? stopping blindly following fashion trends or what everyone around you is wearing? i don't look much different i believe.

Helloooo? Don't you recognize who you're talking to? You just described a practice of 75+ percent of the members here.

As far as your question goes, most of the people who I knew during h.s are MUCH less attractive now than they were then. Maybe that should be the topic of a question: Why do my h.s mates look worse now that I'm an adult? Because they've let themselves go....Because they really weren't attractive to begin with....Because I've been spoiled by the gorgeous women that I spend time with these days?

Boss1982

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pronov
I'm going to have to disagree with this post. I have my 10 year HS reunion coming up but am friends with a couple of my old HS buddies on FB...from what I've seen, almost all of them have gotten uglier or fatter or both, my friends and their friends that are tagged in their pictures. It's sad really.

hey i'm going to go to my 10 year high school reunion as well. I agree about some of the folks, they have definitely gotten out of shape. I remember the 115 lbs ladies and 160 lbs gents look 160 and 220 respectively.
and not many look great as they did in HS.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
The OP's experience is not mine.

The college "kids" around here look pretty good in my opinion,
and they do continue to improve for a few years into life beyond college.
But soon enough the improvement stops.
After that, it's all downhill,
ever increasting,
faster and faster.

End of story.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pronov

I agree, there is only a small percentage of men that look better through middle age than they did in their late teens... it seems to be those who were baby-faced and always naturally thin/fit, since as they age they finally start looking mature. Oddly it seems to happen with chicks too... I know a couple that were scrawny and kinda homely even through college, but once they graduated they started filling out and became hot.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very good looking people in their teens can only lose their good looks ...

For the rest of us , every cloud has a silver lining.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads