in general... why do people look better as they grow up?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yodawg, Sep 25, 2010.

1. yodawg

yodawg Senior member

i'm talking about high school/ college to after. is it because we're finally earning and can chose to spend more money on haircuts? is it awareness? stopping blindly following fashion trends or what everyone around you is wearing? i don't look much different i believe.

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Awareness. As you mature, you stop with the stupid trendy shit and start trending towards the classic, time tested stuff. Generally. Some people never realize how stupid they look. Case in point, the owner of Abercrombie: [​IMG]

3. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Awareness. As you mature, you stop with the stupid trendy shit and start trending towards the classic, time tested stuff. Generally. Some people never realize how stupid they look. Case in point, the owner of Abercrombie:

[​IMG]

Don't forget that in private he wears bespoke Huntsman and Lobb shoes. He'd be a shit ambassador for his own brand if he didn't dress like the image he sells.

4. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

That is one ugly bastard.

5. foryoureyesonly

foryoureyesonly Well-Known Member

Awareness. As you mature, you stop with the stupid trendy shit and start trending towards the classic, time tested stuff. Generally. Some people never realize how stupid they look. Case in point, the owner of Abercrombie:
    In high school and college you can feel free to experiment with no consequences whatsoever as long as it's not totally insane and they're no consequences. Post high school/college, real life starts to set in and I think more so than becoming self-aware, life kind of forces itself upon you and if you want to be taken seriously, you're gonna have to at least look the part a little bit or there will be real consequences. So you start dressing up for job interviews, dates, and social events, and it sort of just begins from there. Because let's be honest, if it wasn't for jobs, dates, social events, we'd probably all not be dressing *that* much differently than we did in college, maybe quite a bit different than high school though depending on how crazy we were.

6. Butter

Butter Senior member

I don't think it's true in general.

I mean, topic probably won't be as popular on purseforum.

7. George

George Senior member

i'm talking about high school/ college to after. is it because we're finally earning and can chose to spend more money on haircuts? is it awareness? stopping blindly following fashion trends or what everyone around you is wearing? i don't look much different i believe.
    It's sometimes diagnosed as failing eyesight, but it's more often wishfull thinking on behalf of the observer.

8. yodawg

yodawg Senior member

why? i don't mean just guys...

or maybe being old enough to get lasik... i notice it the most on other people actually when i see pictures of them from years/decades ago.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Many people I now see from high school/college are fat and ugly.

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Wow...this is almost revolutionary in negativity from you.

I approve!

- B

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Wow...this is almost revolutionary in negativity from you.

I approve!

- B

Just speaking the truth. [​IMG]

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Just speaking the truth. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

- B

13. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

People generally find those of their same age group the most attractive regardless of what age group they fall into. You're probably just stating the convergence of two psychological effects.

Therefore, you probably found children more attractive as a child, teenagers more attractive as teenagers, young adults as one of them, middle aged at that time in your life, etc.

It's just the recency effect that makes you think that your most recent opinion is the true one. You've forgotten or consider previous opinions less important.

14. Spats

Spats Senior member

If I get any better looking, I'll be dead. [​IMG]

15. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

+1 To add... Very few look better when they are older. Observe the vanity of older people who go for facelifts and other surgerys, hair dyes, makeup, clothes, etc, and anything else to try to look younger. $$$ I am sensing the OP is, homself younger and possibly respects older people, which is very commendable. To the OP, pick the age you respect the most, or where you would like to be. Write that number down with a memo. When you reach that age yourself, see if you agree with yourself later. In the interim, enjoy your youth; every minute of it. Achieve all that you can while you are in the prime of your life because life and looks gets harder as you get older..much harder.