• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Becoming a Self-Loathing Vegetarian

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
That's what happened to me with dairy. At least giving up butter, cream, etc. was good for my waistline.

If I were you, I'd really up the veggies, fruit, and whole grains in my diet, and I'd switch to fish for animal protein for a few weeks. Then I'd gradually try reintroducing small quantities of meat.

You are fortunate that stocks are OK. Chickpeas taste great cooked in lamb stock.

Much as I agree with GDL's remarks above, I think that it is reasonable in your case to try changing your diet before running to the doctor. If, however, you are having a lot or pain or other well-known symptoms of real GI problems (e.g. blood in your stool), see a physician asap.

Thanks, J. I think that moving away from a beef-heavy diet is probably in my best interest, no matter what happens w/ this pain.
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I have no idea what this is, but it sounds like a frenchified name for something edmorel might be expert in.
It means taking a short break in between courses to partake in a palate cleanser (traditionally a small drink of Calvados) in order to allow yourself some time to digest.
Originally Posted by why
You could have some inability to secrete sufficient amounts of proteases (enzymes that break apart proteins into amino acids). There are a few different ones the body uses (trypsin, pepsin, and one or two others) which either come from the pancreas or the cells in the stomach itself. It could also be an oversecretion of pepsin (or some other reaction to it) caused by the higher acidity needed for the enzyme to activate.
Maybe this is it. I also had acid reflux as a teen, with stomach ulcers. If that is connected with this at all, I realy don't know, but there it is.

Try eating a large amount protein from a food that doesn't upset your stomach and see what happens (like eating a carton of egg whites or a few packs of tofu or something). Do this on an empty stomach, then do it as part of a normal starch-containing meal.
Will do.
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Sounds like you had it coming
musicboohoo[1].gif

Lol yeah, that's what he said too.
Originally Posted by acidboy
is your bowel movement regular?
Like clockwork. Take dump at 11 AM, 4 PM, and 1 AM.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Maybe this is it. I also had acid reflux as a teen, with stomach ulcers. If that is connected with this at all, I realy don't know, but there it is.

If you had acid reflux and stomach ulcers as a teen, I think eating large amounts of protein regularly for the past few weeks would degrade your stomach lining a bit because of the increases in hydrochloric acid that come with eating protein. Eating it on an empty stomach further increases the susceptibility of the stomach lining to the acids.

So that's my guess, but I'm not a gastroenterologist and obviously can't diagnose you. The only way to be sure is to have test done for stomach ulcers, which considering your past history with them only makes a recurrence much more likely.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find this interesting. And tragic.

In the past I could eat a 36 ounce bone-in ribeye with a baked potato with no problem whatsoever. Now, my wife and I share a steak and are satiated. Personally/anecdotally, my stomach can not tolerate meat that has been cooked to over a temperature of medium-rare - and forget about an over cooked hamburger. This will give me the ***** the rest of the evening. Bottom line is that my experience shows that I can better digest rare meats, but only in limited quantities.

Kyle, have you noticed a correlation between the way meat is cooked and your stomach condition? Is it quickly cooked or braised? Is it pan-seared versus grilled versus grilled over a wood fire? This last potential issue (wood-grilled) could result from a richness that you can no longer tolerate. Also, these rich proteins might be simply a bad combination with an overall stressful life that you are living.

I don't know. I'm just going off of my experiences combined with pulling stuff out of ******. Regardless, I hope you get this resolved soon so you can go back to enjoying your life's passion that is so strong that you chose to make a profession out of it!

Monaco

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with being vegetarian. I used to eat tons of meat but for health reasons and my personal reasons, I very rarely eat meat, usually only when I'm out and would like to try something I don't usually encounter. When I'm with friends or meet people, they start saying how they can't live without meat, I just look at them weird, it's so irritating to see somebody be so succumbed to a food that they have to NEED instead of want. For goodness sakes, learn some discipline.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
The average SFer has never seen an anatomy up close in the whole 16 years of their life. I'd put my money on the doctor.

well put Greg. Sometimes it feels like the forum is older than half of its members.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say moderation is the key. Try cutting back on the amount of meat you are eating and add more roughage to your diet.

My other suggestion would be to get a bottle of digestive enzymes available in pill form at almost any health food store. I've found taking those to be a big help to my stomach in breaking down various types of proteins or other foods.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I have no idea what this is, but it sounds like a frenchified name for something edmorel might be expert in.
Take a shot of brandy (calvados in this case) between courses. It should burn a hole through anything clogging up the system.* *Yes this is a joke. Please no technical comments on my incorrect gastrointestinal theories.

Monaco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I'd say moderation is the key. Try cutting back on the amount of meat you are eating and add more roughage to your diet.

My other suggestion would be to get a bottle of digestive enzymes available in pill form at almost any health food store. I've found taking those to be a big help to my stomach in breaking down various types of proteins or other foods.

Does this also help with overall digestion of food and bowel movements? or is it for getting proper nutrients broken down quickly enough and delivered to the right places?

Milpool

Reaction score
Have you tried taking Jamie Lee Curtis' advice and eating more yogurt? Apparently that should set you straight in no time, no matter what kind of GI problem you have.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need to give up meat, you can continue mocking fun at vegans.

Just increase your intake of alkaline foods e.g more veggies and alkaline water. Take some probiotics and fiber supplements, as well as fruits such as pineapple and you are good to go. Meanwhile, lay off dairy.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Telling people you're a vegetarian only brings trouble - the response is either some douchebag lecturing to you that having canines means we should eat meat or the other response is the person who replies with "Peggy and I have really cut down on red meat! We're only eating chicken these days!"

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kyle, was your father ever diagnosed with anything? I ask because I think if you're at risk for stomach ulcers it would be wise to prevent them by visiting a gastroenterologist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads