1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I'm Becoming a Self-Loathing Vegetarian

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by kwilkinson, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

There is nothing wrong with being vegetarian. I used to eat tons of meat but for health reasons and my personal reasons, I very rarely eat meat, usually only when I'm out and would like to try something I don't usually encounter. When I'm with friends or meet people, they start saying how they can't live without meat, I just look at them weird, it's so irritating to see somebody be so succumbed to a food that they have to NEED instead of want. For goodness sakes, learn some discipline.

2. Ziss

Ziss Senior member

My diet the last few months has been mainly protein.

Try this instead.

3. Matt

Matt Senior member

The average SFer has never seen an anatomy up close in the whole 16 years of their life. I'd put my money on the doctor.

well put Greg. Sometimes it feels like the forum is older than half of its members.

4. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I'd say moderation is the key. Try cutting back on the amount of meat you are eating and add more roughage to your diet.

My other suggestion would be to get a bottle of digestive enzymes available in pill form at almost any health food store. I've found taking those to be a big help to my stomach in breaking down various types of proteins or other foods.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have no idea what this is, but it sounds like a frenchified name for something edmorel might be expert in.
    Take a shot of brandy (calvados in this case) between courses. It should burn a hole through anything clogging up the system.* *Yes this is a joke. Please no technical comments on my incorrect gastrointestinal theories.

6. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

I'd say moderation is the key. Try cutting back on the amount of meat you are eating and add more roughage to your diet.

My other suggestion would be to get a bottle of digestive enzymes available in pill form at almost any health food store. I've found taking those to be a big help to my stomach in breaking down various types of proteins or other foods.

Does this also help with overall digestion of food and bowel movements? or is it for getting proper nutrients broken down quickly enough and delivered to the right places?

7. Milpool

Milpool Senior member

Have you tried taking Jamie Lee Curtis' advice and eating more yogurt? Apparently that should set you straight in no time, no matter what kind of GI problem you have.

8. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

No need to give up meat, you can continue mocking fun at vegans.

Just increase your intake of alkaline foods e.g more veggies and alkaline water. Take some probiotics and fiber supplements, as well as fruits such as pineapple and you are good to go. Meanwhile, lay off dairy.

9. willpower

willpower Senior member

Telling people you're a vegetarian only brings trouble - the response is either some douchebag lecturing to you that having canines means we should eat meat or the other response is the person who replies with "Peggy and I have really cut down on red meat! We're only eating chicken these days!"

10. why

why Senior member

Kyle, was your father ever diagnosed with anything? I ask because I think if you're at risk for stomach ulcers it would be wise to prevent them by visiting a gastroenterologist.

11. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Add some psyllium husks to your diet.

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Kyle, was your father ever diagnosed with anything? I ask because I think if you're at risk for stomach ulcers it would be wise to prevent them by visiting a gastroenterologist.

Wasn't diagnosed with anything gastroenterologically. The problem went away when he became vegetarian, so he stayed vegetarian, no questions asked.
    My problem is that I don't have health insurance, and don't care enough/don't think this problem is big enough to put up the cash for the doctor.

However, I think my problem has started to go away. I went full-on vegetarian for several days, and was feeling fine. Started adding a little meat, and have for the most part been fine. As long as my meals consist of protein as a component instead of protein as the main part, I seem to be okay. So I will probably do my best to keep it that way. Heavy on veg, lighter on protein. It is probably more healthful in the long run anyway, regardless of the pain.

Anyway, thanks to the people who posted in here with advice. I appreciate it.

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    what touching little father-son conversations you two must have, comparing bowel movements. makes me glad i had a daughter.

14. why

why Senior member

what touching little father-son conversations you two must have, comparing bowel movements. makes me glad i had a daughter.

[​IMG]

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I think it does speak volumes about my relationship w/ my father that I have no problem coming to him for help in any area of my life. It just doesn't seem that creepy to me, although I don't think we've ever had a conversation about poop just for poop's sake. I think it would be very sad if I felt afraid to come to my father for help.

16. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

the conversion to northern-california pussy is complete.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You should look for a free or reduced clinic to see someone. Just a talk might be helpful.

How about gluten and other simple carbs? Ever thought it might be that? I can tell you my guts are working much better removing those simple carbs.

18. ama

ama Senior member

[​IMG]

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Less shit talking, more video posting.
    You should look for a free or reduced clinic to see someone. Just a talk might be helpful.

How about gluten and other simple carbs? Ever thought it might be that? I can tell you my guts are working much better removing those simple carbs.

I dunno about gluten. I probably should see a doc, though. When I went to the ER tonight for my finger, the doc told me I had high blood pressure (understandable, as my finger was spurting about 6 quarts of blood a minute), but after 2 hours in the ER, it hadn't gone down. He told me I was probably at high risk for high blood pressure from my diet and lifestyle and that I needed to keep an eye on it. After telling him that I've always had slightly elevated BP, he told me that I needed to seriously consider changing some things. My BP upon arrival: 150/85. Like I said, given my condition, it wasn't surprising. But after sitting for two hours, with my body completely calm, my BP was 164/96.
    I'm facking dying. [​IMG]

20. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Less shit talking, more video posting.

I dunno about gluten. I probably should see a doc, though. When I went to the ER tonight for my finger, the doc told me I had high blood pressure (understandable, as my finger was spurting about 6 quarts of blood a minute), but after 2 hours in the ER, it hadn't gone down. He told me I was probably at high risk for high blood pressure from my diet and lifestyle and that I needed to keep an eye on it. After telling him that I've always had slightly elevated BP, he told me that I needed to seriously consider changing some things. My BP upon arrival: 150/85. Like I said, given my condition, it wasn't surprising. But after sitting for two hours, with my body completely calm, my BP was 164/96.
    I'm facking dying. [​IMG]

you're not running, are you. [​IMG]