• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to start wearing a suit every day

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 30. I wear a shirt/ tie/ suit, or slacks sportcoat at least 5-6 days a week. If you wear clothes that fit and are of decent quality it's not all that bad. I don't think it's realistic to stay that formal day and night though. Like usually by evening my tie and jacket are off. If I'm still wearing a button down shirt at all, and if I'm chilly than I might throw on a sweater. Or like if I'm walking the dog I might wear a polo and slacks. I very rarely wear jeans and I don't own shorts.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm 30. I wear a shirt/ tie/ suit, or slacks sportcoat at least 5-6 days a week. If you wear clothes that fit and are of decent quality it's not all that bad. I don't think it's realistic to stay that formal day and night though. Like usually by evening my tie and jacket are off. If I'm still wearing a button down shirt at all, and if I'm chilly than I might throw on a sweater. Or like if I'm walking the dog I might wear a polo and slacks. I very rarely wear jeans and I don't own shorts.

What do you wear to the pool/beach/vacation? Do you swim in a one-piece?

I personally think that wearing polos or any short-sleeve is worse than wearing shorts although I wear both. I prefer a quality linen shirt in the summer than the ubiquitous polo.

Karl_in_Chicago

Reaction score
Not a clothing comment . . . but there seems to have been a rash lately of reviving dead threads. What's up with that? The OP in this thread has had 3 years to do whatever it is he decided - does anyone still think he's checking this to decide whether he should wear a tie every day?

Last edited:

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am a 55 year old man and have been wearing suits and ties almost daily since 2007. Woke up one morning and put on a suit and tie. It felt great and was ever so comfortable. I was immediately hooked and have since built a huge wardrobe of suits, slacks and blazers, shoes, ties, bow ties and shirts. I am a stay at home dad so I usually just wear the shirt and tie while in the home but don a suit jacket or blazer when I step out. I try to dress like this as much as practical. I do not go to the beach in a suit  or mow the lawn in one but I will wear a summer suit to a barbeque. Most people think it's strange but I don't care. My wife and children were shocked with the new me at first but quickly became used to it  and will join in with helping buy my next suit or other needed accessory. I believe men have become sloppy in appearance in general over the years and have become too relaxed in mode of dress. Recently I went to a ballet and there were men in shorts and flip flops and I feel it was disrespectful. I have since adopted the attitude that way I dress shows self respect and respect for those around me  and it is a nice way to represent myself and family. I don't think dressing in suits every day is for everyone but it doesn't take much for a guy to clean himself up and dress appropriately for an occassion. Stop crying about having to wear a tie sometimes. We are men, not babies!

Strong first post.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been required to wear suits to work until last week. I will still wear them though; I look good in them, and there are several people in suits around my new workplace, so I won't feel weird. The good thing is I will have more freedom to experiment with sport coats and chinos as I please, which is interesting...

Wearing a suit everyday and everywhere is OK if you don't mind what others say and you don't care about looking out of place sometimes... but you WILL look out of place, that won't change.

Zaza

Reaction score

Greetings.

I want to start wearing a suit and a tie every day. Even when I'm not working. Even when I'm just sitting at home. Even when I go to school. I want to do it because it looks good.

But I have only one problem: I have for a very long time always found it rather uncomfortable to have a tie on. Feels less freedom around the neck if you know what I mean.

Still, as time goes on I want this to be my new signature, "the guy who only wears suits and has never been seen without a tie on".

My question is: Is there anyone here who wears suit/tie every day? Will I get used to it with time? How long will it take getting used to?

Regards,
Interface.
I don't even know why I'm replying to this.

Tyler Beach

Reaction score
Hay I ware suits all the time and I am 18 well I ware formal suits like the people in the 1920s and so on. The suits i ware are wool wich are consevitve so they save me money and to prove that they save me money I have a suit vest that was tallored to a fellow in 1955 and It is still in good condition no holes Its a bit big for me but i am a small fellow. I would say that It takes about 3 months of really waring the suit to get used to it. And if you go to facebook I have a page/bolg that talks about nothing other than formal suits and the gentleman era like politness and how to ware the suits. Well I like that you like to ware the suits all the time like me and do not give up there are people out there like you and I. My facebook page is called the gentleman's lounge. Also check out the londan lounge they are good as well. Forget what people think heck I will ware a tails coat. Heck all walk into a modern tennage so call club and be dressed in al british suit with a wihte wig on. If the outfits that peple used to ware back then are conservitve then suit me up.

Last edited:

hatakilla

Reaction score
Lately I have been getting into style. Not fashion, I do not care for what is in anymore and what the "young" kids are wearing. I'm currently becoming very conscious about how I look, feel, how I can stand out from a crowd, how I can look attractive, etc. I am a 26 year old male and I do work in an office setting, i'm not a manager or supervisor. My position is very low (working my way up), and i'm not even a college graduate, hell, no one even wears a suit at my job and most people wear jeans and a tshirt or polo. Recently I started wearing sports coats over my shirts, polos, and jeans. Its the type of look that look that says "i'm going to the club or to the bar". The sport coat look was a big step for me, adding a sport coat to any type of top automatically makes you look a little more presentable. At first i thought it was weird because I felt over-dressed for work since most people aren't dressing like that. But then I said "why not?".

Anyways

A few months ago I had an interview and I had to dress in a suit and tie. First time in YEARS that I had to and guess what? It felt great. I got a compliment from a random girl on the elavator telling me I look nice today, I was flattered by all the looks I was getting as I was walking down downtown to reach the building of my interview, I got compliments from ALL my coworkers at the place I already work at. I felt better dressed than 95% of the people that were taking their 10:00am walk around downtown. Would I wear a suit outside of work? Lets say to the mall? or a bar? Hell yea I would. When I see people going at the mall wearing a suit and tie, I either think 1) They work at the mall or 2)They are some dapper mother effers.

Look at it this way: Lets say you are at the mall wearing a suit and tie. Most likely a few people will think your overdressed, but MOST people will think you look great. And to people who would think your overdressed... probably do not have style or know anything about it themselves.

But if you dressed in just a t-shirt and shorts. Most people would just look past you and have nothing to comment about your style. No one ever tells a person wearing a t-shirt and short that they look great unless maybe they lost weight, got a tan, or a new haircut. Its not wrong to wear t-shirt and shorts, its very comfortable but if you want to look dapper and sharp..you don't want to be caught wearing those unless you are at home or at the gym.

In my humble opinion. Wearing a suit and tie daily represents formality. It shows that you are aware of your style and what you wear. It shows that you sport a timeless look and like to look good and handsome. It shows that you are not into what's into fashion but rather developing your own personal style. Look at the early 1900s, MOST men wore suits and ties, the only reason it seems unacceptable now is that not as much men do it anymore. But the look is timeless, I always respect a man in a suit until he does something that makes me not respect him. Wear a suit and tie everyday man, once I make more money to buy more suits guess what i'll be doing as well. Remember,better to be known as the overdressed guy, then not to be known for anything at all =P

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lately I have been getting into style. Not fashion, I do not care for what is in anymore and what the "young" kids are wearing. I'm currently becoming very conscious about how I look, feel, how I can stand out from a crowd, how I can look attractive, etc. I am a 26 year old male and I do work in an office setting, i'm not a manager or supervisor. My position is very low (working my way up), and i'm not even a college graduate, hell, no one even wears a suit at my job and most people wear jeans and a tshirt or polo. Recently I started wearing sports coats over my shirts, polos, and jeans. Its the type of look that look that says "i'm going to the club or to the bar". The sport coat look was a big step for me, adding a sport coat to any type of top automatically makes you look a little more presentable. At first i thought it was weird because I felt over-dressed for work since most people aren't dressing like that. But then I said "why not?".

Anyways

A few months ago I had an interview and I had to dress in a suit and tie. First time in YEARS that I had to and guess what? It felt great. I got a compliment from a random girl on the elavator telling me I look nice today, I was flattered by all the looks I was getting as I was walking down downtown to reach the building of my interview, I got compliments from ALL my coworkers at the place I already work at. I felt better dressed than 95% of the people that were taking their 10:00am walk around downtown. Would I wear a suit outside of work? Lets say to the mall? or a bar? Hell yea I would. When I see people going at the mall wearing a suit and tie, I either think 1) They work at the mall or 2)They are some dapper mother effers.

Look at it this way: Lets say you are at the mall wearing a suit and tie. Most likely a few people will think your overdressed, but MOST people will think you look great. And to people who would think your overdressed... probably do not have style or know anything about it themselves.

But if you dressed in just a t-shirt and shorts. Most people would just look past you and have nothing to comment about your style. No one ever tells a person wearing a t-shirt and short that they look great unless maybe they lost weight, got a tan, or a new haircut. Its not wrong to wear t-shirt and shorts, its very comfortable but if you want to look dapper and sharp..you don't want to be caught wearing those unless you are at home or at the gym.

In my humble opinion. Wearing a suit and tie daily represents formality. It shows that you are aware of your style and what you wear. It shows that you sport a timeless look and like to look good and handsome. It shows that you are not into what's into fashion but rather developing your own personal style. Look at the early 1900s, MOST men wore suits and ties, the only reason it seems unacceptable now is that not as much men do it anymore. But the look is timeless, I always respect a man in a suit until he does something that makes me not respect him. Wear a suit and tie everyday man, once I make more money to buy more suits guess what i'll be doing as well. Remember,better to be known as the overdressed guy, then not to be known for anything at all =P

Fedora Lounge is ==========> way

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
I'm strongly of the belief that wearing a suit erryday does not make you 'That-super-suave-stylish-guy-who-looks-ultra-dapper', it just makes you that dude who really has no concept of the function of the suit and the importance of dressing for the occasion - particularly if the occasion is nothing at all. A suit has a function in its formality and to use that everyday just looks a little unnecessary and a lot contrived.

You mention developing your own personal style but isn't that really about exploring the options, enjoying the sheer volume of choice out there and experimenting with how you can incorporate it into your daily life? Surely learning your way around the different types of blazer, the differing trousers and the magnitude of shoe options makes you the WELL dressed guy, not the OVER dressed guy. If you're totally focused on wearing suits, suits and nothing but suits at least try to find some interesting ways to dress it down - or at the very least mix and match your trousers and jackets.

You said "I always respect a man in a suit until he does something that makes me not respect him" - like telling me he wears a suit everyday for no reason at all...

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A well-made and precisely fitted suit should be worn with a specific event in mind (other than a requirement for office wear) and shouldn't be worn casually like you don't care.

hatakilla

Reaction score
Yes I agree with you that suits should be worn for special events. But what makes it only for special events? What if you want to look nice while going to the movies or dinner out with a friend? It's all about presentation and if you want to look like and feel like a million bucks, then why not? And obviously you would have to care because it takes more work to suit up then it does to throw on a t shirt and jeans.

And to clarify what I mean by me "respecting a man who wears a suit until he does something that makes me not respect him" let me explain. If i meet someone who wears a suit, I will always show respect to that individual because I will assume that he/she wants to be taken seriously just as I would. I will lose respect for them if they are rude, an asshole, a douchebag, etc. Thats just me though, when I see someone in a suit I automatically feel that that person is all about business and wants to be taken seriously, and there is nothing wrong with that. They want to appear presentable and a suit is the perfect attire for that.

OK a suit at home for no reason, that might be a little weird but if that makes you confident and makes you feel good then do it.
Wanting to wear a suit, IMO, is a perfect reason to wear a suit.

sns23

Reaction score
As long as you have occasion appropriate suits. While a Brooks Bros. suit may be fine for work, it will look out of place when going out socially. A more casual "fashion forward" suit would be more appropriate imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads