• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to start wearing a suit every day

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 3orangewhips
Why did this come back from the dead?
10000+ However, note too the annoying tendency to assume that suits are some sort of formal wear. What absolute nonsense!!!! You can also wear a suit like this:
miami-vice.jpg
Dated? 1980s? Who cares - I would gladly wear a cotton or linen summer suit with t-shirt at the beach. Likewise, on a winter weekend excursion to the country, I would equally gladly wear my tweed suit, maybe with a cravat or scarf in place of a tie. The only totally idiotic thing would be to wear a city lounge suit in dark coloured worsteds as leisure wear.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
Of course , the same argument can be used for a guy in a red mohawk in a group of gentle with suits on.
Originally Posted by arirang
The t-shirt and jeans look was an individualist response against the stifling conformity of pre-WWII norms in relation to dress.
Thanks for rephrasing my sentence. Just for the record I've only worn a suit when I was a little kid, my parents dress me up in a 3 piece suit just to play dress up. Besides that, I think I worn an over sized suit to my senior prom because I didn't known better.

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
10000+

However, note too the annoying tendency to assume that suits are some sort of formal wear. What absolute nonsense!!!!

You can also wear a suit like this:

miami-vice.jpg

Dated? 1980s? Who cares - I would gladly wear a cotton or linen summer suit with t-shirt at the beach.

Likewise, on a winter weekend excursion to the country, I would equally gladly wear my tweed suit, maybe with a cravat or scarf in place of a tie.

The only totally idiotic thing would be to wear a city lounge suit in dark coloured worsteds as leisure wear.

I like the sentiments expressed here but do people make 'winter weekend excursions to the country' in Australia? really? That's so.... [insert any British novelist before 1950].

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will get used to suit and tie but in many environments it is not required these days.

Jeff Chou

Reaction score
OP, how has your quest to wear a suit every day come along?

I always find it fascinating to see old pictures of people of all ages dressed up to go out in public. I'm sure it was the trend of the times, just as much as T shirts and jeans are the norm now.

I have been dressing up about 3 days a week for school (in a clinic) and have completely gotten used to buttoning all the way up with a tie. I also find that with a properly fitted neck, it should not be too constricting.

On a side note, how do people manage to wear a suit around in the summer? I see pictures of people all over blogs well dressed in suits and casual wear but I don't understand how anyone can stand more layers than 1 t shirt! Maybe I'm just heat intolerant. The other consideration is that these people are willing to make an obvious sacrifice in comfort for the sake of style. How do they physically do it?

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Interface
Greetings.

I want to start wearing a suit and a tie every day. Even when I'm not working. Even when I'm just sitting at home. Even when I go to school. I want to do it because it looks good.

But I have only one problem: I have for a very long time always found it rather uncomfortable to have a tie on. Feels less freedom around the neck if you know what I mean.

Still, as time goes on I want this to be my new signature, "the guy who only wears suits and has never been seen without a tie on".

My question is: Is there anyone here who wears suit/tie every day? Will I get used to it with time? How long will it take getting used to?

Regards,
Interface.

Get ready to be the best dressed man at the casual sports bar.

Dr. Delgado

Reaction score
Hello Interface!

I admire your style, suits and ties are in my opinion one of the smartest things a man can wear, and can I just start off by saying do not worry about the nay sayers, this is about what makes you feel comfortable.

I myself am 18, and with a prospective career in music, business and psychiatry, I feel that wearing suits is appropriate. I enjoy wearing them; they look smart, I feel good and I forced I could wear them every single day without complaint.

However, I suggest that if you are still at school, this would not be a suitable place to wear a suit (esp. in America, where school uniforms don't need to be worn- at Grammar school we had to wear blazers and ties everyday). There is a time and a place for suits, and unless you are doing a blue collar job, I say go for it. I must say, since reading your post a few days ago, I have worn a suit everyday, and it feels good. I get so much work done as I feel important. I wear a tie in the morning, and at dinner I take off my cufflinks, roll up my sleeves and eat. Afterwards, I take my tie off and either do some work or watch television.

I would not wear a suit everyday at University however, as I would look out of place. Sometimes I wear a nice pair of ironed (unripped) jeans, and a shirt or T-shirt. Other times I feel like putting on a pair of black or grey trousers; I save the suits for opera performances and cocktail parties/ balls.

What I'm trying to say is, there is a time and a place, but if you feel comfortable in a suit, wear it, I do. (Remember to be clean- shaven every day- there is nothing worse than wearing a suit with stubble!).

As for the tie thing: get used to it! Either buy a bigger collar or loosen your tie. You will get used to it, and wearing a tie makes you feel and look extra special.

Get yourself a few good suits, shirts and ties, sport jackets and that way you'll never wear the same thing twice, mix and mach your clothes, sometimes you can go without the tie etc. etc.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards, Dr. D

GnarlyTango

Reaction score
Hey there,

Yeah I want to do the same thing. Kinda go for the "Doctor Who look". To me it looks casual but still very classy and kind of fun, which is what I'm going for. As much as we hate to admit it, the first thing people judge you on is what they see. The first things they see are your hairstyle and what you wear. I think dressing in a way suitable for your personality is a good idea because it allows people to prejudge you accurately, as well as express how you feel about yourself to others. I feel that I am classy, fun, and casual, therefore I want to wear my suit and bow tie. I want to wear it kind of loose but not too loose. Just so it feels right. Plus there's something about a suit that brings respect to you. People WILL respect you if you are wearing a suit. I say go for it. If people give you crap then just shrug them off because they aren't worth dealing with.

Best regards,
Tango

P.S. I am 18, for the record. Being a teenager and wearing a suit casually isn't exactly my definition of easy in terms of being accepted by your peers haha. If I can do it, you can too. Just have confidence. After all, you are wearing a suit.
wink.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GnarlyTango
Hey there,

Yeah I want to do the same thing. Kinda go for the "Doctor Who look". To me it looks casual but still very classy and kind of fun, which is what I'm going for. As much as we hate to admit it, the first thing people judge you on is what they see. The first things they see are your hairstyle and what you wear. I think dressing in a way suitable for your personality is a good idea because it allows people to prejudge you accurately, as well as express how you feel about yourself to others. I feel that I am classy, fun, and casual, therefore I want to wear my suit and bow tie. I want to wear it kind of loose but not too loose. Just so it feels right. Plus there's something about a suit that brings respect to you. People WILL respect you if you are wearing a suit. I say go for it. If people give you crap then just shrug them off because they aren't worth dealing with.

Best regards,
Tango

P.S. I am 18, for the record. Being a teenager and wearing a suit casually isn't exactly my definition of easy in terms of being accepted by your peers haha. If I can do it, you can too. Just have confidence. After all, you are wearing a suit.
wink.gif

This thread needs a decent burial.

Suits do not breed respect necesarily as you insist - out of place , which is something judged by society generally not the wearer it will cause much mirth and do you no good at all, so get that view out of your mind whilst you are young.

bewing77

Reaction score
I'd like to add that in my opinion, a suit for an event that calls for casual attire is as much out of place and a sign of bad taste as a t-shirt and jeans in the office of a white collar workplace. Having true style is being able to dress in a way that is appropriate for the occasion. Dressing correctly is as much about looking good and feeling comfortable as it is to have enough respect for your peers to not dress in a way that belittles them. The very reason there are different dress codes is to make it easier to know what to wear not to stick out like a sore thumb.

So, to summarize, I think wearing a suit and tie to a pool party is as inappropriate and would make both you and your peers as uncomfortable as if one would go to work wearing full formal attire. The only exception to this is when you will be, or have been attending an event later or earlier in the day that required a more formal attire with no possibility to change: If going to an informal garden party straight from work it would be acceptable to wear a suit, but it would be prudent to loose the tie, or change it for a less formal one.

Also. Age has nothing to do with it. If you are old enough to wear long pants and tie your own necktie you should dress correctly. Unfortunately many men today don't seem to realize how disrespectful it is to wear clothes fit for gardening to work, that however doesn't mean we who know should follow suit.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Why? Doesn't it seem a bit uptight, a bit Nixon on the beach?
I'd have thought he was wearing Alden's when he did that ... but somewhere I read he wore Johnston & Murphy oxfords for his walks on the beach. Surely the reporter was wrong!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Assuming your shirt collar fits ... you'll get used to the tie in short order.

Jdeansmith11

Reaction score
As Barney Stintson from How I Met Your Mother says: "Suit up!"

Greetings.

I want to start wearing a suit and a tie every day. Even when I'm not working. Even when I'm just sitting at home. Even when I go to school. I want to do it because it looks good.

But I have only one problem: I have for a very long time always found it rather uncomfortable to have a tie on. Feels less freedom around the neck if you know what I mean.

Still, as time goes on I want this to be my new signature, "the guy who only wears suits and has never been seen without a tie on".

My question is: Is there anyone here who wears suit/tie every day? Will I get used to it with time? How long will it take getting used to?

Regards,
Interface.

GPA20022000

Reaction score
I am a 55 year old man and have been wearing suits and ties almost daily since 2007. Woke up one morning and put on a suit and tie. It felt great and was ever so comfortable. I was immediately hooked and have since built a huge wardrobe of suits, slacks and blazers, shoes, ties, bow ties and shirts. I am a stay at home dad so I usually just wear the shirt and tie while in the home but don a suit jacket or blazer when I step out. I try to dress like this as much as practical. I do not go to the beach in a suit or mow the lawn in one but I will wear a summer suit to a barbeque. Most people think it's strange but I don't care. My wife and children were shocked with the new me at first but quickly became used to it and will join in with helping buy my next suit or other needed accessory. I believe men have become sloppy in appearance in general over the years and have become too relaxed in mode of dress. Recently I went to a ballet and there were men in shorts and flip flops and I feel it was disrespectful. I have since adopted the attitude that way I dress shows self respect and respect for those around me and it is a nice way to represent myself and family. I don't think dressing in suits every day is for everyone but it doesn't take much for a guy to clean himself up and dress appropriately for an occassion. Stop crying about having to wear a tie sometimes. We are men, not babies!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Greetings.

Regards,

Interface.

go for it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads