• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have acquired the Holy Grail of live jazz

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've listened to about 50% of the tracks from this set for a while now (crappy mp3s) so you can imagine my excitement when I saw it for $25, yes $25, in FYE. 9 discs of Pepper's magnum opus. I am in heaven!
peppera.jpg

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
As the kids say, FAIL

The holy grail of live jazz were the Dean Bennedetti(sp?) recordings of every live solo taken by Charlie Parker during three historical engagements in 1947 when Bird was at his peak. Box is available from Mosaic....

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinf...mber=129-MD-CD

Agreed. Plus, I'd add Art Blakey with Clifford Brown and Horace Silver's A Night at Birdland, the newly discovered Monk and Coltrane concert at Town Hall (?), the Coltrane/Dolphy quintet at Birdland, Duke at Fargo 1940 (yes, the great orchestra with Jimmy Blanton on bass and Ben Webster on tenor saxophone live at a North Dakota dance hall - one of the few live recordings of this magnificent ensemble)...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As the kids say, FAIL The holy grail of live jazz were the Dean Bennedetti(sp?) recordings of every live solo taken by Charlie Parker during three historical engagements in 1947 when Bird was at his peak. Box is available from Mosaic.... http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinf...mber=129-MD-CD
Do you know Parker's infamous cut of Lover Man? He was so drunk that a couple of guys had to prop him up. Still, he played like no other.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
As the kids say, FAIL

The holy grail of live jazz were the Dean Bennedetti(sp?) recordings of every live solo taken by Charlie Parker during three historical engagements in 1947 when Bird was at his peak. Box is available from Mosaic....

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinf...mber=129-MD-CD

+1.

I have a nice Mosaic LP box of Pepper's Pacific Jazz series. The new Pepper SACDs are very good too but are getting hard to find. Art Pepper + 11 is terrific.

Brogued

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
Agreed. Plus, I'd add Art Blakey with Clifford Brown and Horace Silver's A Night at Birdland, the newly discovered Monk and Coltrane concert at Town Hall (?), the Coltrane/Dolphy quintet at Birdland, Duke at Fargo 1940 (yes, the great orchestra with Jimmy Blanton on bass and Ben Webster on tenor saxophone live at a North Dakota dance hall - one of the few live recordings of this magnificent ensemble)...
Yep, I'm with you. You just named some of my favorite records. The version of A Night in Tunisia on Live at Birdland is one of the best. How bout a big hand there, for Art Blakey!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
If it's a holy grail, I'd expect it to be one of those privately pressed vinyl editions that people speak of in vaunted tones on snobby, nerdy forums.

crackup[1].gif

You just summed up Audio Asylum.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brogued
Yep, I'm with you. You just named some of my favorite records. The version of A Night in Tunisia on Live at Birdland is one of the best.

How bout a big hand there, for Art Blakey!

"I was on one of 'dem records...that I DUG down at Boid-land!"

I love Pee Wee Marquette's introduction...eleven years later he's heard at the very beginning of Ugetsu, with Art Blakey, Freddie Hubbard, Wayne - f'ing - Shorter, Curtis Fuller, Reggie Workman and Cedar Walton...you can hear him say, "Aaaat Blaakey, and hizzz Jah-zzz Messen'grs!". I have to add that Riverside album to my list of live jazz classics - this was the greatest band "Buhaina" ever assembled and the tunes are among my favorites - Wayne Shorters "One by One" and "On the Ginza", Curtiss Fuller's "Time Off" and Cedar Walton's "Ping Pong" and "Ugetsu" (a heartbreakingly beautiful performance that makes you realize how great Hub truly was, and how much we miss Curtis' playing now that he's had half his lung removed). I surmise from the track titles (and the titles on the other Riverside discs from that period such as Kyoto, that the band had been gigging in Japan).

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Do you know Parker's infamous cut of Lover Man? He was so drunk that a couple of guys had to prop him up. Still, he played like no other.

He wasn't exactly drunk...

"I was on one of 'dem records...that I DUG down at Boid-land!"

I love Pee Wee Marquette's introduction...eleven years later he's heard at the very beginning of Ugetsu, with Art Blakey, Freddie Hubbard, Wayne - f'ing - Shorter, Curtis Fuller, Reggie Workman and Cedar Walton...you can hear him say, "Aaaat Blaakey, and hizzz Jah-zzz Messen'grs!". I have to add that Riverside album to my list of live jazz classics - this was the greatest band "Buhaina" ever assembled and the tunes are among my favorites - Wayne Shorters "One by One" and "On the Ginza", Curtiss Fuller's "Time Off" and Cedar Walton's "Ping Pong" and "Ugetsu" (a heartbreakingly beautiful performance that makes you realize how great Hub truly was, and how much we miss Curtis' playing now that he's had half his lung removed). I surmise from the track titles (and the titles on the other Riverside discs from that period such as Kyoto, that the band had been gigging in Japan).

Just ordered a copy.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
He wasn't exactly drunk...

Just ordered a copy.

You will love Ugetsu.

Bird may actually have been drunk for the notorious "Lover Man" session - apparently he couldn't find his Los Angeles heroin dealer Emery "Moose the Mooche" Byrd, so he just drunk a fifth of whiskey to compensate, and he was suffering from both drunkeness and withdrawal. After the session, he went back to his fleabag hotel and lit his mattress on fire. That's how Parker ended-up "relaxing at Camarillo", so to speak. The whole story is in this excellent book, which has detailed musical analyses: http://books.google.com/books?id=yuu...parker&f=false

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will love Ugetsu.

Bird may actually have been drunk for the notorious "Lover Man" session - apparently he couldn't find his Los Angeles heroin dealer Emery "Moose the Mooche" Byrd, so he just drunk a fifth of whiskey to compensate, and he was suffering from both drunkeness and withdrawal. After the session, he went back to his fleabag hotel and lit his mattress on fire. That's how Parker ended-up "relaxing at Camarillo", so to speak. The whole story is in this excellent book, which has detailed musical analyses: http://books.google.com/books?id=yuu...parker&f=false

Good read. Will have to pick up a copy eventually. I remember reading on some linear notes that bird was just high as a kite for the recording, maybe I misread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads