• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

mrbrady3324

Reaction score
Few questions about drying raw Denim

1. Is it safe to dry raw denim over a shower tub bar? Or will this create a crease?
2. If using clothespins, should the back and from of the waist band be clipped or just the back?
3. Do you hang inside out?

Thanks!

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
1. Should be fine.
2. I've never used clothespins, but if you do you might want to avoid contact with the outside of the waistband. It's always possible you could rub off some indigo where the clothespins hit, if you care about that.
3. Yes, definitely. If the jeans are inside out, you won't risk having indigo rub off on whatever they're laying on or hanging from while they dry. Added bonus: the pocketbags dry out faster when they're inside-out.

mrbrady3324

Reaction score
Great info! I will go take them own from the clothespins and carefully lay over the shower bar until i get something better. I do have a few hangers that have a inside loop hanger.. could I use that or would that now allow the jeans to lay flat enough in the air?

theeagles

Reaction score
I actually have a question relating to my best friend. He's never liked jeans because nothing ever comes in his size and/or are to uncomfortable. I've managed to coax him into buying his first pair. I would like advice( since he is slim and has really long legs being 6'2 and all ) on where to buy them and what his size would be.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually have a question relating to my best friend. He's never liked jeans because nothing ever comes in his size and/or are to uncomfortable. I've managed to coax him into buying his first pair. I would like advice( since he is slim and has really long legs being 6'2 and all ) on where to buy them and what his size would be.

Vaguest post ever

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

theeagles

Reaction score
How can I be more specific? I meant I need to know somewhere that has good jeans for long legs. It took me years to find some that actually went past my ankles

Bullitt

Reaction score
Should you wash them when they are dirty?
Will they still look good when a bit of indigo is lost?
How should you hang them?
Should you dry them inside-out?
Could you wear them during a rain-shower?

All the worrying about details like this will not result in a more attractive pair of jeans. There is no right or wrong. Your jeans’ fading pattern reflects your lifestyle. Each pair will look different.

1. Is it safe to dry raw denim over a shower tub bar? Or will this create a crease?
2. If using clothespins, should the back and from of the waist band be clipped or just the back?
3. Do you hang inside out?

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Should you wash them when they are dirty?
Will they still look good when a bit of indigo is lost?
How should you hang them?
Should you dry them inside-out?
Could you wear them during a rain-shower?

All the worrying about details like this will not result in a more attractive pair of jeans. There is no right or wrong. Your jeans’ fading pattern reflects your lifestyle. Each pair will look different.

Which is to say, if you don't like the way your jeans look as much you do somebody else's, it's not about the jeans but rather about your ****** personality and life choices.

lawyerdad

Reaction score

How can I be more specific? I meant I need to know somewhere that has good jeans for long legs. It took me years to find some that actually went past my ankles

If your friend is 6'2" you probably want inseams that are at least 33 inches long or longer, (post any anticipated shrinkage) depending on anticipated shrinkage, cuffing/stacking preferences, etc. For an approximate data point, I'm between 6'1" and 6'2" and jeans with an 32.5" inseam are a good con-cuffed, non-stacking length for me. Measurements for most of the brands people talk about here can be found online.

If by size you mean waist size, saying he's slim is indeed vague. You might also want to take into consideration what it is about prior jeans he has found "uncomfortable". Too short of a rise? Too loose and baggy in certain places? Too tight in the calves? Jeans that fit well are going to be more comfortable than jeans that fit poorly, but there are lots of different ways jeans can fit poorly.

Last edited:

Bullitt

Reaction score

Which is to say, if you don't like the way your jeans look as much you do somebody else's, it's not about the jeans but rather about your ****** personality and life choices.

Wouldn’t judge other people’s lifestyle. This is just about denim ;-)

A pair of jeans worn by someone who works as a builder and goes hiking in his spare time and one owned by a someone else who works on the computer all day and sits on the sofa the rest of his time will have a very different fading pattern. Of course, the quality of the denim plays a role too, but the aforementioned worrying about details is unnecessary.

lunar

Reaction score
What would the best pair of jeans be for a 31" inseam/23-24" waist? I can't seem to find anything for short and scrawny. I'm stuck wearing kids' jeans.

lawyerdad

Reaction score

Wouldn’t judge other people’s lifestyle. This is just about denim ;-)

A pair of jeans worn by someone who works as a builder and goes hiking in his spare time and one owned by a someone else who works on the computer all day and sits on the sofa the rest of his time will have a very different fading pattern. Of course, the quality of the denim plays a role too, but the aforementioned worrying about details is unnecessary.

People do have aesthetic preferences that do not necessarily match their day-to-day activities.

lawyerdad

Reaction score

What would the best pair of jeans be for a 31" inseam/23-24" waist? I can't seem to find anything for short and scrawny. I'm stuck wearing kids' jeans.

Inseam won't be your issue - hemming is easy and inexpensive. Waist is tough, though -- that's super lean and I don't think many brands carry jeans in waist sizes that small. Maybe you'd have better luck with one of the Japanese brands?

Or you could try posting the question to one of the industry professionals on the forum, like Kiya in the Self Edge thread. He or someone else in that position might have a good sense of what brands might carry smaller sizes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads