• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

splattered

Reaction score
Right on... i was considering trying out some of the Levi 514 too.

Tomorrow at Gilt is a rag & bones sale, i see people mention the denim from time to time... worth taking a look at?

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by splattered
Right on... i was considering trying out some of the Levi 514 too.

Tomorrow at Gilt is a rag & bones sale, i see people mention the denim from time to time... worth taking a look at?

i dont think APC denim is really any better than Nudie... if you just want beaters then check the various Levi fits. ive got a pair of khaki 511s that i am always trying to match with a pair of jeans cause they fit PERFECT

Sigmatic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by connor
i dont think APC denim is really any better than Nudie... if you just want beaters then check the various Levi fits. ive got a pair of khaki 511s that i am always trying to match with a pair of jeans cause they fit PERFECT

i own 3 pair of nudies and i've never had a structural problem with any of them. OTOH i have one pair of apc rescue and i've had stitching come undone, loose buttons, and twice something metal has fallen into the toilet while taking a leak. i didn't go after them...must be a back button cap or something?

that said, i much prefer the color and feel of indigo APC denim when new - it's got a really nice grey/blue sheen while the standard nudie selvage has a blue-black sheen. the APC pockets could be a little bigger/deeper though.

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sigmatic
i own 3 pair of nudies and i've never had a structural problem with any of them. OTOH i have one pair of apc rescue and i've had stitching come undone, loose buttons, and twice something metal has fallen into the toilet while taking a leak. i didn't go after them...must be a back button cap or something?

that said, i much prefer the color and feel of indigo APC denim when new - it's got a really nice grey/blue sheen while the standard nudie selvage has a blue-black sheen. the APC pockets could be a little bigger/deeper though.

did the crotch blow out on my SJDJs? yes. did i size down too much? yes. same thing would have happened with APCs, im sure of it. i like the denim more on my nudies

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok this is a huge thread, but I want a basic pair of APC selvedge jeans...my first foray into the nicer realm.

I'm a 30W, so I'll try a 29W in these?

Now between the Rescues and New Standards, what should I get if I want a fitted but not tight cut with a straight leg. I don't want to tend in the hipster direction. The New Standards seem to have a very narrow leg opening.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I'm a 30W, so I'll try a 29W in these?
No, you'll try a 27. And you want NS. Please try to do some cursory research at the very least, there's more info on APC here than any other denim brand.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
No, you'll try a 27. And you want NS. Please try to at least do some cursory research, there's more info on APC here than any other denim brand.

I was debating between a 28 and 29. I don't want them to be too tight, but coming from MC, I haven't much of a reference point for APC's vanity sizing. The naive me thinks I could have the waist taken in if need be :/.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I was debating between a 28 and 29. I don't want them to be too tight, but coming from MC, I haven't much of a reference point for APC's vanity sizing. The naive me thinks I could have the waist taken in if need be :/.
APCs measure 2" larger in the waist than tagged. They also stretch an obscene amount; up to 3" in the waist. I'm a 30" waist as well, and NS 27 is a slim straight cut on me. I can even fit into NS 26 if I wanted.

Rescues are not "fitted" on anyone of regular build.

Lachy

Reaction score
I think you'd want 28. You could go 27, but if you're from MC, that might not be fitting with your style.

NS aren't considered too tight around here, merely slim, while Rescues are considered quite loose but are really just straight. I think you could go with the NS, and you'll quickly adjust to the slight tapper. But if you don't want to change your style at all and basically have denim trousers, stick to the Rescues. Rescues and NS have very similar (if not identical) top blocks, main difference is Rescue is straight down from the knee, while the NS tapers slightly.

Just my 2 cents.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lachy
I think you'd want 28. You could go 27, but if you're from MC, that might not be fitting with your style. NS aren't considered too tight around here, merely slim, while Rescues are considered quite loose but are really just straight. I think you could go with the NS, and you'll quickly adjust to the slight tapper. But if you don't want to change your style at all and basically have denim trousers, stick to the Rescues. Rescues and NS have very similar (if not identical) top blocks, main difference is Rescue is straight down from the knee, while the NS tapers slightly. Just my 2 cents.
A bit of taper is fine, most of the MC trousers/slacks/etc. do that as well. I also don't like material stacking at shoe so I would get what MC would consider a full break (34" for me). My usual inseam is 33" (with minimal break). I guess I want to start with something that would do justice to the SWD.

Lachy

Reaction score
Have a poke through the WAYWN thread (probably best to stick to the no discussion version), and see the different fits, not everyone has really tight jeans. There are other options in addition to APC. See what appeals, and if you've got questions about anything throw em up.

But if you want to go APC, and stay SW&Dish, try the NS. If you order it from Farinelli's, or any of the affiliates, and you don't like them when they get to you, you can return/exchange them.

BareSolid

Reaction score
I intend to buy the APC New Standard jeans. I am a size 32 in trousers. Should I buy a 30 in the APC jeans? I also hear that the leg length is 34 but shrinks to a 32 after washing. Considering that they won't be washed for a while (so I can break 'em in), what on earth am I going to do about the leg length? Will turning them up affect the wear?

I'm worried that having them hemmed straight away will then render them too short to wear once I come to washing them. What are your thoughts?

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
I also hear that the leg length is 34 but shrinks to a 32 after washing.
You heard wrong. APC jeans are sanforized, so they won't shrink much beyond their original dimensions. Just wash on cold and hang dry and you won't lose more than half an inch at the worst.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sigmatic

honestly my only beef with nudie is the size of the back pockets. not even the stitching, just the size. i dont like how on most nudies the back pocket goes way past ******

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
You heard wrong. APC jeans are sanforized, so they won't shrink much beyond their original dimensions. Just wash on cold and hang dry and you won't lose more than half an inch at the worst.

Thanks for letting me know. I just looked on this web site
http://www.oipolloi.com/store/APC-Ne...oDry-1303.html
and thought the passage
"PLEASE NOTE: These shrink in the leg to roughly 32" over the course of first few washes"
meant exactly that.

Is the rest of what I say advisable? Size down to 30"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads