I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior member

what's a comparable fitting jean to the Skull 5507? too bad they're having problems atm.

thinkin maybe kmw rocker?

2. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

I don't know how KMW Rockers compare, but they might be hard to come by, as they're also having troubles right now. [​IMG]

3. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think Rockers TTS or one up would be similar like Lachy said. At least compared to my skulls it feels like my thighs can breathe while still getting a good amount of taper. also apparently now is the time of troubles for all good denim [​IMG]

4. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior member

was looking at the Dry Bones Red-D Slim also but they seem hard to come by as well. and ande whall grifter/slacker. :/

5. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I don't know how KMW Rockers compare, but they might be hard to come by, as they're also having troubles right now. [​IMG]

I think Rockers TTS or one up would be similar like Lachy said. At least compared to my skulls it feels like my thighs can breathe while still getting a good amount of taper.

also apparently now is the time of troubles for all good denim [​IMG]

'Troubles' may be a bit doom-and-gloom. From what I hear, the production run for this year's jeans didn't meet KMW's standards, so they refused to go to market with them, and are exploring other options for production. Now, this may be a 'spin' put on another much deeper problem, but I'm hoping it's just that and not something worse. Gotta feed my jones.

Aeglus - lookin' good in the most recent WAYW pictures.

6. wagthesam

wagthesam Senior member

If I'm 6'3", is a mid rise jean like apc new standards actually a bit on the low rise side?

7. Sylvr

Sylvr Well-Known Member

^ yarn dyeing and washing are completely separate parts of the denim manufacturing process. yarn dyeing means the yarn was dyed a color before it was woven, as opposed to garment dyeing. washed means if was given a hard wash before it left the laundry, and is therefore not raw. i get a 404 error on your links but as long as you aren't looking for raw jeans these terms don't make any difference. 'grey' and 'gray' are alternate spellings with the same meaning.
    ah, thank you for the info! the one with the hand in the pic is the yarn dyed pair while the other one is gray washed. im still a little confused, so the yarn dyed pair was never washed? would that mean the yarn dyed pair could potentially fade better? between these two, which would you choose? i like the the fit of the straight gap jeans, but im definitely open to any gray jean suggestions. looking for a mid-high rise (not too low), +12" thigh (thick thighed), 8-8.5 opening. price points under $300, of course not willing to spend more than i think the pair is worth. been looking around but just cant find anything else that looks interesting. http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...d=1&pid=691303 [​IMG] http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...scid=675335002 [​IMG]

8. dmash

dmash Senior member

If your willing to spend almost 300 dollars on jeans...you can get ALOT better than Gap....

9. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Senior member

ah, thank you for the info! the one with the hand in the pic is the yarn dyed pair while the other one is gray washed. im still a little confused, so the yarn dyed pair was never washed? would that mean the yarn dyed pair could potentially fade better? between these two, which would you choose? i like the the fit of the straight gap jeans, but im definitely open to any gray jean suggestions. looking for a mid-high rise (not too low), +12" thigh (thick thighed), 8-8.5 opening. price points under $300, of course not willing to spend more than i think the pair is worth. been looking around but just cant find anything else that looks interesting.
    no, mall-brand jeans are always washed unless specified as raw, rinsed, or rigid. what i was trying to say was that dyeing and washing are mutually exclusive processes. dyeing gives the fabric color (yarn dyeing being by far the most common method in denim), while washing is, well...washing. when gap says 'yarn dyed' that means the copy editor is filling up space. all their jeans are yarn dyed. if you want to fade jeans, you don't normally want washed.
    If your willing to spend almost 300 dollars on jeans...you can get ALOT better than Gap....
    this is the best advice though. with your price point and measurements you can pick up some Nom de Guerre Classic fit grey in size 32 or 34 (if they still make them?) and you will thank us all later. you will get 100x the jean at 3x the price. there are other grey jeans out there but these are the only ones i own so i can personally vouch for the quality. there are plenty of pics here and on sufu if you want to see them. there's also a grey denim thread here somewhere.

10. dmash

dmash Senior member

11. Sylvr

Sylvr Well-Known Member

definitely appreciate the help! i just thought first of the gaps since i already know i like the fit, but quality there is definitely questionable. ill keep looking around but thanks both of you for your info and suggestions. now i know "yarn-dyed" is definitely something to avoid. ill keep that in mind.

12. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Senior member

^ hold on there. yarn-dyed is not something to avoid, it's simply how denim is made - good or bad. all my denim is yarn-dyed, as is nearly every pair i've ever seen. i just said it was the copy editor filling up space by stating the obvious.

'washed' is to be avoided if you want good fades.

13. Sylvr

Sylvr Well-Known Member

oh, okay i think i get it. so yarn-dyed is just the way its made, neither a good thing nor a bad thing, just the reality. so there is good yarn dyed denim and there is bad yarn dyed denim. washed on the other hand is something to be avoided if what i want is to develop character in the denim by fading.

its just tough finding denim in a 33 waist, 12+ thigh, 8-8.5 opening, and 36 length that really makes me go whoa, i want it and still be able to be satisfied with the price. the search continues, but ill look into those ndg. dmash's link wasnt bad either. i think what i should really do is email kiya (dont live too far from self edge) or maro.

i definitely think ill be avoiding the gaps though. probably.

14. splattered

splattered Senior member

Its time i toss out a lot of my super old levi/gap jeans that are falling apart, and sell off a bunch of crap i dont wear like most of my Diesel.

What would you guys consider to be an essential brand/cut short list of lower-mid priced denim? Like 5-10pairs?

I need some cheaper stuff to throw into rotation to wear to work and then some better stuff to wear out n about... lets say the upper price limit is $150 for the higher end pairs.

Maybe spread across Levi/Gap/APC/Etc. I haven't actually looked at Levi/Gap in well over 3 years so i dont really know what they offer at this point.

I already got some nudie slim jims and i still plan on getting a pair of APC NS soon...

Some of my Diesel are ok wash wise but the pockets are beginning to bother me when i look at them now... I can't say that this forum isn't swaying my tastes a tad, and now when i look at a lot of my stuff i'm wanting to do a slight wardrobe reboot.

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Maybe spread across Levi/Gap/APC/Etc. I haven't actually looked at Levi/Gap in well over 3 years so i dont really know what they offer at this point.

I already got some nudie slim jims and i still plan on getting a pair of APC NS soon...

Don't spend on any more Nudie until you give the APC a try. You'll be glad you did.

You can't really go wrong with the latest GAP '1969' raw stuff, which is decent for the price. So is the new raw 'slim' button-fly stuff from Jcrew for $98. Almost picked up some myself.

Also, have some fun with some Levis 501 shrink-to-fit. Always great for a raw denim experience, totally risk-free price-wise, and they'll pick up pretty decent fades, especially if you wear them for work and really wear them.

But try APC and you probably won't look back. I now consider my pairs my cheaper 'work' stuff.