• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to fix button fly distortion

CBDB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aifia
^nice cockfade

Uhhh...that's two words that sure to silence a men's room

toadstone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zacharydschroeder
What was your technique? Did you stretch them while wearing them?

I stepped on the inside back, putting my weight just below the waistband, grabbed one side of the fly between top and 1st fly button and pulled. I did this with the denim dry, since I'm paranoid about it shrinking back as it dries when wet.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about this one. This one is killing me. I will refrain from posting a picture zoomed in of my crotch but will resort to that if necessary.

My Somets are the greatest jeans on Earth but I hate tucking my shirts in to them because the fly has distorted. This has happened in a different way than above. They button fine, but the denim "flap" with the j-stitch has stretched into a bump above the second button, revealing the button and the contrast-colored denim below.

I need to stretch or do something to that top flap this from happening. Iron it? How do I do it?

And this is especially damning because in a perfect world, I would never take these jeans off.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't totally picture what you're describing (maybe a good thing) but ironing the fly side shouldn't be too hard. Spray it a bit with water on the top and under the fly and let it sit for a bit to soak in, then lay a thin cloth over it and steam press it flat on a lowish setting like Wool. You could start by doing this from the inside if you are worried about damage, but I don't think it should do anything harmful. I do this to my knee boobs every once in a while when they start to bug me.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, so I'd been ironing it and it looks a little better, but in a week or so, the stretching will come back. Here's a pic -- it doesn't look that bad now because it's been ironed:
2339750720_2a680edff7.jpg
So, on the Somet's, the inner part of the thigh is a contrasted color, so this looks stupid. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I always see people staring at my crotch when I talk to them, as if they think my fly is unbuttoned. I was thinking of having a seamstress stitch the top flap to the bottom. Will this **** up the fit or anything else? Is there any other stitch that could work? I want to wear these jeans for another two or three years, but this needs to be fixed. I don't like tucking shirts in because of this...

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my somets when I had them, and they were waaay to big in the waistband for me - so it wasn't an issue of stretching but rather the way they are put together. It didn't bother me that much but I can see how some people might object.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zacharydschroeder
I have never heard of a way to stretch out that space in the denim between the top button and the next button down that seems to not stretch proportionally with the rest of the jeans. Maybe this doesn't happen to other people, or maybe no one else cares, but I was just curious if anyone had any tricks for remedying this. I did a search and came up with nothing.

Here's the problem:
DISTORTION.jpg

looks to me like those jeans are just too tight over the hip bones.
you might try the operation i just suggested to "blank".
if you wear the front pushed down it will make things worse.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
OK, so I'd been ironing it and it looks a little better, but in a week or so, the stretching will come back.

Here's a pic -- it doesn't look that bad now because it's been ironed:

2339750720_2a680edff7.jpg

So, on the Somet's, the inner part of the thigh is a contrasted color, so this looks stupid. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I always see people staring at my crotch when I talk to them, as if they think my fly is unbuttoned.

I was thinking of having a seamstress stitch the top flap to the bottom. Will this **** up the fit or anything else? Is there any other stitch that could work? I want to wear these jeans for another two or three years, but this needs to be fixed. I don't like tucking shirts in because of this...

sorry somehow i goofed.here is what i lost some wear.

the twin vertical stitching is first removed. then the offending part is moved in ward so that it is covered. then the twin stitches are re sewn.

crush

Reaction score
maybe it has something to do with the cut too, because i have a pair of nudies that do the same and there is a post on the official nudie website that says it is caused by the cut of the jeans?

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno what it is. The waist was never too tight, and stretched normally after a few wears. Anyways, I wear them low on my hips and when I sit down, it bulges. I'm losing some weight and once I've lost a few more pounds in the gut, these things are going to be a dream.

So I'd like to take them to a place in NYC where I can get this done. tailor, can you recommend?

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can Blue in Green fix these, or can I just take them to a regular seamstress at the local dry cleaner?
The note is that I NEED these fixed but can't afford to have them ruined. But I don't think a seamstress will ruin them.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
any one who is a decent sewer should be able to do this. it dosent take a custom tailor.

since many folks run into this, i think it means bad design,or bad cutting, or bad workmanship. oh yes also sloppy or uncaring inspection.
think of the price you pay for these "fine" jeans.

Surfrider

Reaction score
How to avoid the distortion? Buy jeans with zippers, perhaps? Or, have a tailor put a zipper on your jeans?

To be honest, I have always wondered why one would want a button fly, aside from the fact that they are, apparently, "cooler." I've never had a zipper wear out, even on my worn-in-the-saddle-every-day Wranglers....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads