• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is crazy the additional grip climbing shoes give you. Your fingers will feel climbing soon enough.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is crazy the additional grip climbing shoes give you. Your fingers will feel climbing soon enough.

Truth... I've climbed three days this week so far (twice in the gym and once outside). I received a new crash pad from Organic on Friday: my 'old' body will enjoy the extra large and thick padding. I bouldered at Flagstaff Mountain while my son looked on like I was a super hero and even looked happy when I topped problems out.

beerBarrel.jpg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran 4.6 miles with the dogs in the rain. Temps dropped from 51 to 46 while I was out.

I set a PR on the uphill Strava segment on this run (I don't run out that way all that often). You know you're in Boulder when the KOM for that uphill segment is at a 5:27/mile pace!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1886594471

03E224F8-9849-4DFC-B243-1ED82DF9AEE4.png

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michigan Planner, how's the foot? That was a harrowing tale.

Fueco - 51 to 46 sounds good for running, but personally that or even a touch colder dampens things for me!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fueco - 51 to 46 sounds good for running, but personally that or even a touch colder dampens things for me!

Upper 40's and dry is my happy place for longer runs. Upper 40's and wet is bearable, but not great. I don't enjoy the process of getting soaked while running, but once I'm soaked I can just go and go.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1047939
View attachment 1047937

“Not everybody believes in HR training” they said. I guess not everyone believes the earth is round either.

1:42 half. Only grooving at 75% effort.

Heart rate is not the best way to train. There are factors that affect your heart rate (dehydration, illness, overtraining, to name a few) that can make it seem you are working harder or easier than you think.

If everything else were equal, HR would be adequate. In the real world, power is a better way to determine training load. For running, this is determined by periodically running a test course and using the time as your base for training efforts at different levels.

You’d be much better off using Jack Daniel’s training system if you want to get faster.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heart rate is not the best way to train. There are factors that affect your heart rate (dehydration, illness, overtraining, to name a few) that can make it seem you are working harder or easier than you think.

If everything else were equal, HR would be adequate. In the real world, power is a better way to determine training load. For running, this is determined by periodically running a test course and using the time as your base for training efforts at different levels.

You’d be much better off using Jack Daniel’s training system if you want to get faster.

HR is going to vary from day to day based on a variety of factors, some of which you listed. That's not to say there aren't ways of standardizing these variables -- a lengthy topic I won't get into but has been expounded upon, at length, by the likes of M.J. Karvonen, Joe Friel, Jerzy Zoladz, etc.

I'm not much for internet debates, but Net/net, I agree that HR isn't the end-all-be-all. In my research/experience when incorporated into a structured training program (like JD's) can serve as a useful normative data-point. Week over week I've been making legitimate gains in all aspects of my running that I attribute, in part, to this data-driven process.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The same 9.8 miles yesterday. Is still pretty warm and humid in Nashville but only suppose to get into the 50s in Kentucky for the Ragnar next week.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Still sore but I got in 4.7 miles Thursday night, 6 miles Saturday morning and 5.4 miles Sunday afternoon. I also went to the gym Friday afternoon and did a few intervals on the VersaClimber. I wanted to get in 10 miles on Sunday but I had gone to the Michigan game Saturday afternoon and after driving out there and walking around Ann Arbor with an 8-year-old all day, I decided to sleep in Sunday morning. Once I set off for a shorter run in the afternoon, I was glad I didn't try the longer run as I was really feeling it at the end of the run - the bump on the top of my foot is still pretty pronounced.

I've been wearing my Nike Pegasus through all this but if I run this evening, I'll switch back to my Adidas Boost which have a bit more volume to them and might be more comfortable for now.

On an unrelated note - I stopped by Dick's Sporting Goods on Friday to get a new Michigan t-shirt to wear to the game and they had some open-box exercise equipment near the doors so I bought a 40' battle rope for $10 with the plan to wrap it around a tree in my backyard and incorporate that into the exercises and stretches I do before and after running. I did 5 30-second stints with it before and after my runs Saturday and Sunday. Man that hurt but it did get my HR up pre-run!

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michigan Planner - good to see you're back in the game.

I did about 4-5 miles this morning after noticing the gut getting bigger and the whole yoga thing probably not aggressive enough to combat it! The first 8 minutes was brutal but after that I felt fine and only my hamstrings are sore post run. This is pretty standard for me and I stretch them like crazy with yoga, so not sure if more stretching would be helpful or counter productive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads