• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

AndyMcL

Reaction score
I'm actually not, but will be in the 4x and 1x. Should be an interesting day! High of 45 and low of 30...

xpress

Reaction score
Picking up a Kettler Coach today... (VERY well priced)

I'll be getting back into the groove soon enough...

I'll keep you all posted.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted here. Winter training is going well. Pulled 1:53.3 on a 15K today, at 23spm. Felt pretty damn good about that. Also, recently pulled 21x1' at 1:38.1 and 4x8' at 1:47.5. Doing a 2k on Saturday, then another on 2/19 at CRASH-B, then possibly another on 2/29 if I'm not satisfied with the first two. Pumped about spring season.

AndyMcL

Reaction score

Been a while since I posted here. Winter training is going well. Pulled 1:53.3 on a 15K today, at 23spm. Felt pretty damn good about that. Also, recently pulled 21x1' at 1:38.1 and 4x8' at 1:47.5. Doing a 2k on Saturday, then another on 2/19 at CRASH-B, then possibly another on 2/29 if I'm not satisfied with the first two. Pumped about spring season.

Damn! Getting fast, looks like you should be comfortably under 6:40. Congrats on that 15k.

I haven't posted in a while either. Winter training had been going well, then first week of December I came down with mono. Missed about 5 weeks of real training, now working on getting it back. We also have a 2k this weekend.

unclesam099

Reaction score
I haven't been keeping up with my erg this year as much as I did last year. I did just 15' last night at 19-20, 1:52.5 avg. Pretty weak.

I have less than 200k to go til 5 million meters on my C2 logbook. I didn't start keeping track til my sophomore year. I did roughly 3 million in 3 years, then have been slowly adding to the total. I'd like to get to 5mil before the April 30 cutoff for the C2 "year".

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ended up going 6:38 on that 2k the weekend before last. Pulling another at CRASH-B's this Sunday. Did a half marathon today at 1:57.2 (took 1:22:26 in all), pretty happy with that. Will do speed work tomorrow and then start to taper off a bit.

xpress

Reaction score
Amazing numbers, wmmk.

I'm hesitant to test my 2k, as I know I'll need at least a day of recovery time.

Either way, it wont be impressive.

mayborne

Reaction score
damn i want a rowing machine! remember how much i loved the one at my old gym. what's good/ affordable?

unclesam099

Reaction score

damn i want a rowing machine! remember how much i loved the one at my old gym. what's good/ affordable?

Craigslist or go to www.row2k.com and they have a classifieds section. I got my Model C from that site. I'd like to get the dynamic rower sometime.

You should get model C, D, or E. Model B aren't worth it any longer (in my opinion).

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So last season went real well. Stroked the 1st frosh boat, went undefeated in dual racing, won New England Championships, and made the Grand Final at Dad Vail. Finished .6 sec. out of the medals at the Vail, which really kills me, but that's rowing. Figure it'll be fuel for next year.

Think I coulda gone a bit faster on the 2k erg if we'd tested at all during the season, but our coach is big on not having us pull any tests once spring racing starts. Think I'll need to go in the low 6:20's to make the varsity for next spring and at or below 21 flat on the 6k, so this'll be a pretty brutal summer of training. Working with this really old-school Ukranian sculling coach who's got me doing all kinds of strange lifts, hundreds of pushups a day, and an hour each day of technique drills in the single on top of 15-20k of steady state volume.

I'll be racing a lot of regattas across the Midwest, so let me know if any of you guys happen to be out racing this summer.

LM16

Reaction score
Pulled a 2k (maybe the 3rd or 4th time in 10 years) on an erg the other week and managed a 6:19 @ 23 SPM. Was pretty happy though I had zero ability to bring the rate up and just relied on my power to turn the wheel. Makes me think I may need to get back in "rowing" strength and maybe even get back down to lightweight to see what I can do.

Coaching all next week at youth nationals if anyone else will be there.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy ****. If you're going 6:19 at a 23, even close to lightweight, that's incredible. Where'd you row in college?

LM16

Reaction score
Holy ****. If you're going 6:19 at a 23, even close to lightweight, that's incredible. Where'd you row in college?
I'm sitting a heavier 190 or so (competitive powerlifter in the 181's these days) though I could lose 20-25 just in my chest/triceps which is what I intend on doing at some point and get back out racing. I didn't row in college (recruited by princeton/dartmouth and other various lightweight programs though) and attempted to start a team at my university. Unfortunately getting up early and being sober didn't coincide very well with the student body during my time there and though we had boats donated to us we were unable to fill them and ended returning them to their respective clubs (sad huh?).

Right now I coach high school rowing and hop on the erg every now and then but my main physical competition is powerlifting. This weekend I'm hoping to improve my world ranking in the squat at APC Nationals. I'm a firm believer that increasing max wattage is paramount to pulling big ergs, especially as a lightweight where leverages are not nearly as beneficial as with most heavyweight rowers. Think of it this way:

If a 350 lb squat/deadlift allow you to generate say 650 max watts on the erg and you get your squat/deadlift up to 400 and you're now able to generate 700 max watts.

At 650 watts maximum a 1:35 split is 62.8% of max. At 700 a 1:35 split is now 58.3%. 1:35 split = 408.2 watts. So, what do you think is easier to maintain, the 62.8% or the 58.3%? Yes, rowers need an aerobic base, high VO2's, high AT levels BUT a very large missing link right now is maximal strength. Rowing is quite far behind in the strength and conditioning world in terms of adaptation compared to other sports. Football picked it up first, then basketball, then baseball, lacrosse, even golf has started to get ahold of it. Unfortunately many rowing coaches simply ignore this aspect of it. I'm hoping to start working with the national team post-olympics if a few of my contacts can get me involved or at least meeting with those who I'd need to do so. I think my own erg test is reflective of the results. I doubt I could run an 8 minute mile right now and distance in general sucks for me but I can power out anything short and last through a 2k. That is the power of maximal strength.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads