• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Honey vs Sugar

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raiderinks
Thats only partially true. You can have processed and refined honey's as well, and those are about as good for you as anything else. But to say honey is healthy for you is a joke. You don't need sugars, and you can very easily get the antioxidants from caffeine free teas instead.

Are you a nutritionist? Just curious.

Not that I think nutritionists own the market on what's good for you and what's not. But I think calling a statement such as "honey is healthy for you" a joke is itself a joke. It's not as healthy as green tea, but it's not pop-tarts, either. And while the level of healthiness of honey is open to interpretation (and might be an uninteresting question besides) plenty of nutritionists think raw, dark honey is good for you.

Shiiiit.

What you got against honey!?

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Are you a nutritionist? Just curious. Not that I think nutritionists own the market on what's good for you and what's not. But I think calling a statement such as "honey is healthy for you" a joke is itself a joke. It's not as healthy as green tea, but it's not pop-tarts, either. And while the level of healthiness of honey is open to interpretation (and might be an uninteresting question besides) plenty of nutritionists think raw, dark honey is good for you. Shiiiit. What you got against honey!?
Well, pure sugar devoid of any nutrients aside from some antioxidants might be good for you if you need the energy (like if you were starving). Otherwise, what he said is pretty much correct. You can check the nutrition profile here: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/sweets/5568/2 Basically, 100% carbohydrates as the macro profile and pretty bare from a vitamin profile. I would imagine your body wouldn't know the difference between eating honey and a similar amount of sugar.

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
You really should. Your posts always have this undertone of self-loathing, like you hate youself for posting here.

agree. either that or he didn't get into med school years ago and now is stuck bitterly rehashing dreams of what could have been, on the interwebs

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
Well, pure sugar devoid of any nutrients aside from some antioxidants might be good for you if you need the energy (like if you were starving). Otherwise, what he said is pretty much correct.

You can check the nutrition profile here:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/sweets/5568/2

Basically, 100% carbohydrates as the macro profile and pretty bare from a vitamin profile. I would imagine your body wouldn't know the difference between eating honey and a similar amount of sugar.

Thx. That link is something to work with besides 'your claim is a joke'.

Not all honeys are created equal. And the problem I see in that profile is that zero effort is made to indicate what type was tested. Refined? Processed? Raw? Floral source? The honey you find in a plastic packet at starbucks is altogether different than, for example, a dark, raw buckwheat honey. I agree that the former probably has no nutritional value.

rxcats

Reaction score
I like the taste of honey, but I don't know if I would call it healthy or even healthier than refined sugar. Some honey contains grayanotoxins since honey bees may feed on plants of the Ericaceae family (e.g. Rhododendron) which are natural sources for this toxin. Honey (particuarly raw honey) should never be given to children <1 year of age due to the risk of infant botulism; 13 % of raw honey specimens tested in California contained C. botulinin per Poisondex (online tox reference for Poison Control Centers). C. botulinin is normally found in soil and is a natural contaminent of honey.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
I like the taste of honey, but I don't know if I would call it healthy or even healthier than refined sugar. Some honey contains grayanotoxins since honey bees may feed on plants of the Ericaceae family (e.g. Rhododendron) which are natural sources for this toxin. Honey (particuarly raw honey) should never be given to children <1 year of age due to the risk of infant botulism; 13 % of raw honey specimens tested in California contained C. botulinin per Poisondex (online tox reference for Poison Control Centers). C. botulinin is normally found in soil and is a natural contaminent of honey.

Very informative post. Thank you.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Are you a nutritionist? Just curious.

Not that I think nutritionists own the market on what's good for you and what's not. But I think calling a statement such as "honey is healthy for you" a joke is itself a joke. It's not as healthy as green tea, but it's not pop-tarts, either. And while the level of healthiness of honey is open to interpretation (and might be an uninteresting question besides) plenty of nutritionists think raw, dark honey is good for you.

Shiiiit.

What you got against honey!?

You wouldn't want to follow the advice of a "nutritionist" anyhow. Any jackass off the street that gets employed at GNC gets the title nutritionist, regardless of their knowledge level. It's entirely unlicensed and has no real meaning. You want to get your advice from an LD, PHN, or RD.

lovelylover

Reaction score
honey is best in every way

amnesiac

Reaction score
I've read honey is not so healthy.

extract from: Master Cleanse.pdf (aka the lemonade maple syrup diet

Honey must not be used at any time internally. It is manufactured from the nectar picked up from the flowers by the bees"” good enough in itself, perhaps"” then predigested, vomited and stored for their own future use with a preservative added. It is deficient in calcium and has many detrimental effects for the human being.

According to one authority, honey is "a magical and mystical word in "Healthfoodland". It is one of the most over promoted, overpriced products being sold to gullible health food advocates. The great value attributed to honey is delusive... honey is only a little less empty and more dangerous than sugar."

Just as with alcohol, honey, being predigested, enters the blood directly, raising the sugar content very rapidly above normal. To correct this, the pancreas must produce insulin immediately or possible death can occur. More insulin than necessary is likely to be produced, and the blood sugar level then drops below normal. This can produce blackout spells and even death if it goes to low. When blood sugar is below normal, a person will feel depressed. The regular use of honey can create constant imbalances, which in turn will adversely affect the normal function of the liver, pancreas and spleen. Hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia are the results of the use of unbalanced sugars. The balanced sugar in maple syrup and sugar can juice causes no dangerous side effects.

Artificial, synthetic, and refined sugars have no place in a natural diet.

----

I don't have a medical degree, but i've brought this up with a few friends who are doctors and they said that the last paragraph makes sense.

I still love honey in my tea.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Honey for sure. It's natural.
Also,
the natural sugars in fruits are called Fructose, and are safe.

When these natural sugars are mechanically processed, they are chemically changed into
Glucose, which is a highly addictive drug.

Just 1 spoon of processed sugar in your morning coffee, is enough to throw your body sugar out of whack for the entire day.
Can you say 'Diabetes'.

We are poisoning ourselves and our children with processed sugars & sweets.
Please research this on Google.

Also, some important reading:
http://www.newswithviews.com/NWVexcl...xclusive15.htm
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...meta=&aq=f&oq=

m_n80188

Reaction score
sciencetists said that honey is better than sugar for health of people.honey is made by bees naturally meanwhile sugar is manufactured in factory. sugar is a mixture of chemical.so reduce to use sugar, try replace it by honey

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics