• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What look would you like to see stopped?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HUH - now I feel really old but... There's actually a type of dancing in which you imitate starting a lawnmower or tying your shoes?
confused.gif
Where exactly would I find this and what is hardcore... are you talking about bands like Linkin Park? Curiouser and curiouser Bradford
ha, Linkin Park is not even a tenth of what real Hardcore is. If you really want to hear a sample, download something by Sick of it All, Madball, Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, or Skarhead. It's a cross between punk rock and heavy metal. Sick of it All actually had a music video with all the moves in it, it might have been for the song Scratch the Surface, I forget, it's been a while since I've listened to this stuff. Ken; don't forget the "makin the pizza" move.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike C., That's the "Step Down" video clip, I think... classic... I should track that one down online... "It's not so bad, this hardcore music." Â
biggrin.gif
Nick.

High_Roller

Reaction score
This is a good topic.

Here are a few of the things I would like to see stopped. I haven't seen these posted yet.

I don't like the polo under the suit jacket look. It's hard to pull off, and as far as I'm concerned, it looks frumpy. Although I don't think this is really a style. It seems that men do this when they have absolutely nothing else to wear.

I agree with the skate shoes only if you skate. My younger brother recently bought a pair, and he doesn't even use his skateboard. I think those shoes are generally ugly, anyways. They are made wider than a normal shoe, and the tongues are much thicker.

Short sleeved dress shirts with ties has to stop. I have never seen anyone look good in a short sleeve dress shirt to begin with, let alone wearing a tie along with the shirt. It's too much of a techie co-op look.

What is with this new punk uprising? So many people (mostly teens) are wearing spiked bracelets and belts, giant chokers, huge pants with plaid pockets, etc. One trademark here is piling on as many bracelets as your wrist can lift. Some even break out the black eye makeup and draw little designs all over their faces. I don't understand it.

The peasant look has overstayed its welcome. I used to like it, but it has been greatly exaggerated. The peasant tops are very ugly. Fortunately, I think this look is wearing off.

I'm sure there's more, but I always draw blanks as soon as I go to post something.

sds2000

Reaction score
Personally, I think cargo pants and cargo jeans have been around for too long now. The same applies for the carpenter versions. I tend to cringe when I see them still being sold, and cringe even further when sales staff try to tell me that they are the "in" look.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I don't know if this style has made it over to the US yet, but all over Europe (especially Italy), people are wearing these hideous "boxing" shoes. Look at an example here and high-tops here. They're tucking in cargo and military type pants into these high-tops, and it looks pretty ridiculous. The worst part is that these shoes are retailing for up to e200. On a side note, Puma is HUGE in Europe. I was at Bloomingdales (New York) last nite, and picked up a pair for $65. I saw the same pair for e150 in Florence. Crazy.

vero_group

Reaction score
Looks I would like to see stopped: 1. Tennis shoes with jeans 2. Guys with boxers hanging out the waistband of their jeans 3. Any kind of "street" or "urban" look really -- how can it be a rebel or "alternative" look when everyone is conforming to the same fashion??? 4. Baseball caps worn backwards in public 5. Goatees 6. Bracelets or necklaces on a guy 7. Anything in the "International Male" catalog 8. White, suburban teens trying to look like black, inner-city youths as if they were in solidarity with them 9. Pierced ANYTHING on guys 10. Anything with the Ralph Lauren polo rider on it 11. Western wear 12. Anything with the Burberry plaid 13. Tattoos 14. College or high school rings on a grown man's hands (get over it.) 15. The big American beer belly squeezed into a tight t-shirt 16. The wearing of anything with a professional sports team logo on it 17. Jeans with flared cuffs a la "bell bottoms" My $0.02. LGF.
tounge.gif

vero_group

Reaction score
I have tried very hard to like the look of 3-button suits but I just think it is WRONG. The look elongates the torso, cuts off the tie too soon, and usually features lapels that are too small. My eyes just don't get it. After watching several 3-buttoned speakers at a trial consultants' conference in Reno, NV last week, I now declare "3 button suits must be stopped."

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Jeez Vero:

17 taboos...18 counting three button suits...

I think we have a new record.

56plymouth

Reaction score
Two-button jackets with high button stance or spread out buttons--wouldn't waste my money getting one. I'd much rather get a three-button.

If I'm going to get two-button jackets, I'd much rather have the buttons set lower. The other kind looks like it "doesn't know what it wants to be."

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tried very hard to like the look of 3-button suits but I just think it is WRONG. The look elongates the torso, cuts off the tie too soon, and usually features lapels that are too small. My eyes just don't get it. After watching several 3-buttoned speakers at a trial consultants' conference in Reno, NV last week, I now declare "3 button suits must be stopped."
I somewhat felt the same way you did until I saw the Neapolitan model, "due bottone girato a due" where you DO NOT button the top button. This model is extremely elegant and has a very nice sillhouette.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vero, Something like this:
3bottonistirataa2-far.jpg
3bottonistirataa2.jpg
Imagine the three-button roll-lapel on a J Press sack suit, but not as severe...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads