1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What look would you like to see stopped?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sweeney, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

ha, Linkin Park is not even a tenth of what real Hardcore is. If you really want to hear a sample, download something by Sick of it All, Madball, Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, or Skarhead. It's a cross between punk rock and heavy metal. Sick of it All actually had a music video with all the moves in it, it might have been for the song Scratch the Surface, I forget, it's been a while since I've listened to this stuff. Ken; don't forget the "makin the pizza" move.

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Mike C., That's the "Step Down" video clip, I think... classic... I should track that one down online... "It's not so bad, this hardcore music." Â [​IMG] Nick.

3. High_Roller

High_Roller Senior member

This is a good topic.

Here are a few of the things I would like to see stopped. I haven't seen these posted yet.

I don't like the polo under the suit jacket look. It's hard to pull off, and as far as I'm concerned, it looks frumpy. Although I don't think this is really a style. It seems that men do this when they have absolutely nothing else to wear.

I agree with the skate shoes only if you skate. My younger brother recently bought a pair, and he doesn't even use his skateboard. I think those shoes are generally ugly, anyways. They are made wider than a normal shoe, and the tongues are much thicker.

Short sleeved dress shirts with ties has to stop. I have never seen anyone look good in a short sleeve dress shirt to begin with, let alone wearing a tie along with the shirt. It's too much of a techie co-op look.

What is with this new punk uprising? So many people (mostly teens) are wearing spiked bracelets and belts, giant chokers, huge pants with plaid pockets, etc. One trademark here is piling on as many bracelets as your wrist can lift. Some even break out the black eye makeup and draw little designs all over their faces. I don't understand it.

The peasant look has overstayed its welcome. I used to like it, but it has been greatly exaggerated. The peasant tops are very ugly. Fortunately, I think this look is wearing off.

I'm sure there's more, but I always draw blanks as soon as I go to post something.

4. sds2000

sds2000 Member

Personally, I think cargo pants and cargo jeans have been around for too long now. The same applies for the carpenter versions. I tend to cringe when I see them still being sold, and cringe even further when sales staff try to tell me that they are the "in" look.

5. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Guys, I don't know if this style has made it over to the US yet, but all over Europe (especially Italy), people are wearing these hideous "boxing" shoes. Look at an example here and high-tops here. They're tucking in cargo and military type pants into these high-tops, and it looks pretty ridiculous. The worst part is that these shoes are retailing for up to e200. On a side note, Puma is HUGE in Europe. I was at Bloomingdales (New York) last nite, and picked up a pair for $65. I saw the same pair for e150 in Florence. Crazy.

6. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

Looks I would like to see stopped: 1. Tennis shoes with jeans 2. Guys with boxers hanging out the waistband of their jeans 3. Any kind of "street" or "urban" look really -- how can it be a rebel or "alternative" look when everyone is conforming to the same fashion??? 4. Baseball caps worn backwards in public 5. Goatees 6. Bracelets or necklaces on a guy 7. Anything in the "International Male" catalog 8. White, suburban teens trying to look like black, inner-city youths as if they were in solidarity with them 9. Pierced ANYTHING on guys 10. Anything with the Ralph Lauren polo rider on it 11. Western wear 12. Anything with the Burberry plaid 13. Tattoos 14. College or high school rings on a grown man's hands (get over it.) 15. The big American beer belly squeezed into a tight t-shirt 16. The wearing of anything with a professional sports team logo on it 17. Jeans with flared cuffs a la "bell bottoms" My $0.02. LGF. [​IMG]

7. Stu

Stu Senior member

Vero: I have a goatee, but only because my wife insists on it. I get your point, but if she likes it, it stays. [​IMG]

8. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

I have tried very hard to like the look of 3-button suits but I just think it is WRONG. The look elongates the torso, cuts off the tie too soon, and usually features lapels that are too small. My eyes just don't get it. After watching several 3-buttoned speakers at a trial consultants' conference in Reno, NV last week, I now declare "3 button suits must be stopped."

9. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Jeez Vero:

17 taboos...18 counting three button suits...

I think we have a new record.

10. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

Hey, just don't say I'm critical. ;-)

11. 56plymouth

56plymouth New Member

Two-button jackets with high button stance or spread out buttons--wouldn't waste my money getting one. I'd much rather get a three-button.

If I'm going to get two-button jackets, I'd much rather have the buttons set lower. The other kind looks like it "doesn't know what it wants to be."

12. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I somewhat felt the same way you did until I saw the Neapolitan model, "due bottone girato a due" where you DO NOT button the top button. This model is extremely elegant and has a very nice sillhouette.

13. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

Thrac,

Can you post a picture of an example?

14. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Vero, Something like this: [​IMG][​IMG] Imagine the three-button roll-lapel on a J Press sack suit, but not as severe...

15. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

Yes, I suppose that is not as bad as other three button jackets.

16. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

I'd have to agree with Vero that the three button suit does not "suit" everyone. On many, it does not flatter. I am 5' 9", and I look ridiculous in one. I owned one for a year and smartly gave it to Goodwill, where, I hope, someone with the right build can make use of it.

As for the the good old J Press 3 button suit--where the top button is never buttoned--it is a very classic look that can always be worn.

I love to wear and see people wearing pocket squares. But, it bothers me to see people who don't take the time to fold or stuff them properly. And, I guess that I am of the school that prefers a pocket square to not be the mirror of the tie pattern.

17. Valmont

Valmont Senior member

designer handbags combined with cheap worn out northface/ university crested backbacks.

18. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

tassels, turtlenecks, riley collars, smart pants, anything yellow, button-down shirts, big shoulder pads (more on that in another topic), and suits with a center vent.

19. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Looks that need to go

1. The grunge look - Ok, my theory is that this was started as a conspiracy by ugly people to bring the rest down to their level.

2. Hey, the 70s were ugly the first time, why revive them? (see above-mentioned conspiracy theory) Lose the bell bottoms, hip huggers don't even look good on Selma Hayek (well, maybe) and the peasant look? Fine - if you're a peasant.

3. The techie guy "I am computer literate thus needn't wear shoes and shaving is not worth my time".

4. Ladies... would a skirt kill you? Not talking minis or anything but a long, fitted skirt with a silk blouse looks soooooo much better than when y'all dress like us.
    Here's a vote to return the business world to business dress. The suit is a wonderful thing for one reason if no other - it helps the clueless solve the matching problem :)

5. Metal stuck through any part of your anatomy other than the ear - and only if you are female. Vets with a chunk of shrapnel exempted.

20. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I'm fighting a bout of insomnia, so: 1. Dark dress shirts, especially the kind made by entry level brands like DKNY and Kenneth Cole with overly bold colors and near-metallic sheen, which just end up looking like cheap synthetic fabric (which they often are). Sometimes the higher end brands (Costume, Lang) can look alright in a club when paired with some light jeans, but the clueless often overdo the dark color effect by donning black pants, thus looking like eurotrash or wannabe eurotrash. The worst, though, is when people try to dress them up with an equally shiny/metallic solid tie in a twisted variation of the Regis look, and think they look cool and modern instead of just plain silly. 2. On that note, solid ties, with the possible exception of black. The whole point of a tie is to add some color and excitement to your suit, not keep everything in a drab monotone. Since it's certainly possible to mix patterns with shirts or suits, there's no reason not to make an effort. Dark and earthtone ties fall in that same realm, as do similarly colored pocket squares (the whole point of them is be bright and colorful). 3. Military/safari gear, unless you're involved in one of the two. I find earthtones insufferably boring when overdone, and then 10 extra pockets or camouflage are of no use to you since you don't need to reach for a canteen or hide in the trees. 4. Muscle shirts/wifebeaters/tanktops- need I say more? 5. Doc Martens, Sketchers, Steve Maddens, and all other chunky shoes with an overly thick rubber sole, especially when people try to pass them off as dress shoes. 6. Louis Vuitton. I just find the logo hideous (to say nothing of the price), and the same goes with the equally ugly imitations I've seen brands like Gucci and Coach do. Why is LV so highly thought of when so much of their stuff is dreadfully tacky logowear? 7. Dockers and their ilk. I realize good trousers are expensive, but a nice pair of linen trousers, cords, or wool slacks is far superior than anything in the Dockers-range, especially when you consider that Dockers color-fade and get worn, ragged, and generally unwearable after only a few months of wash and wear (I bought some in high school when I didn't know better, ugh [​IMG] )