1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What look would you like to see stopped?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sweeney, Apr 5, 2003.

1. sweeney

sweeney Member

At the risk of offending at least several of the Forum members -- tasseled shoes, worn with suits.

In my profession (attorney), they're the default/fallback shoe for virtually every unstylish, usually middle-aged or older-lawyer around.  

I have yet to see a pair worthy of wearing with suits that I would deem as remotely stylish.  Can anyone show me otherwise?

2. Yosarian77

Yosarian77 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if there was some style or look that you all would like to see cease and desist immediately?

For me, and I've see this a lot on tv lately, it's the suit with the crew neck shirt underneath. What's with that? It looks terrible. If you're going to wear a suit, please put on a tie. If you want to wear the suit, but don't want to wear the tie, then wear a nice collared dress shirt unbuttoned.

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

How about these? [​IMG]

4. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

Those shoes are nice, but I think they illustrate the problem with virtually all tasseled shoes: they'd look even better without tassels.

5. JLM

JLM Member

Pleated chinos should be outlawed as well as any polo shirt bearing the logo of a company not responsible for making the shirt (conference shirts).

6. hermes

hermes Senior member

mullet hairstyles

and i chime in and agree with sweeney, ban tasseled shoes with suits

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

The "all black I'm cool look".

8. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

Double-breasted suits with turtleneck anythings (think "Guinness World Records" show and some TV prechers out for your money)

oh- and white gymsocks with almost anything .

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

In my opinion, the tassel loafers posted by A Harris are acceptable with a suit, but not nearly as attractive as a pair of lace-up oxfords.  Unfortunately, most men who wear tassel loafers with a suit seem to prefer the horrid low-vamp version, often with frills on the vamp and/or a vamp with a basketweave construction.  That version should not be worn period, much less with a suit.

While we're on the subject of shoes, it's time to get rid of square-toed shoes.  They didn't look good when they were "in," and they don't look good now.

10. Joshua F.

Joshua F. Member

I completely agree that tasseled shoes should be banned. I have a 22 year-old friend that wears nothing else with his suits and I keep telling him "it will not attract the ladies, no matter what your disillusioned mind may be telling you." I also would like to through out the current "this clothing is four sizes too big and it makes me look good" urban fashion trend; it is one of my greatest annoyances in life. To pay the exact same price (and in some cases more) for a piece of ill-fitting clothing as you would an article that fits you well is beyond my comprehension. Oh, and get rid of retro trainers (ie: 70's or 80's style Adidas, Puma, Reebok, Converse) all together. They were ugly then (but since they were "cutting edge" no one cared) and they are unbelievably ugly now. I may be the only one who desires these to be banished to the outermost regions of the world, however.

11. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

First proviso: I'm Europe based and tasselled loafers are quite rare on these shores. (Although most manufacturers have a model in their program.) For me tasselled loafers have the old-worldly charm of a bow tie or suspenders (braces). It's nice to see, that they still exist. I suppose, souliers.net, the French shoe website agrees, as they sum up Alden shoes (in a computerized translation) as: "The shoe amercaine in all its splendour [ in particular its moccasins with pompoms in Cordovan ]" Long live pompons. Live is boring enough, let's get a bit whimsical.

12. Stu

Stu Senior member

I would agree with Bengal-Stripe here on the merits of tasseled loafers. I think these shoes from Alden are fabulous, but I think of them as Casual Elegant, with say, camel or tan wool trousers and an elegant shirt, rather than something to be worn with a suit. As for let's ban the look, how about double-breasted suits with an open collar sport shirt. That's horrible. That's like wearing a bathing suit with a tie.

13. Anomaly

Anomaly Member

What I would like to see stopped:

1. Oversized pants hanging off of guys backsides.
    2. Those low rider jeans with the words sl*t, b*tch, or princess printed on the back.
    3. Women who buy their shirts at "Baby Gap".
    4. Tennis shoes with suits.
    5. Dew rags or stocking caps of any kind.

-Foster

"The first and last thing required of genius is the love of truth."
    "Everything great and intelligent is in the minority." - Goethe

14. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

Well put, Mike.

Does anyone know the origin of tassels on shoes? Are they strictly ornamental or did they once serve some pragmatic function?

In the same vein, I would like to see woven shoes go away. I've never seen a pair I liked - they make your feet look small, and nobody wants small looking feet.

Also - what is with people wearing socks with sandals? It seems both counterintuitive and just plain dumb.

15. Stu

Stu Senior member

I don't know PM, have you ever seen Huraches? I had a pair of woven huraches one time in brown leather and they were really really cool. The little woven straps broke though, so they didn't last more than 2 years.

I do agree with you on socks with sandals. That's like the Redneck Riviera retiree shuffleboard tournament look.

16. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

I can't stand the standard yuppie summer look; loafers, no socks, pleated khaki shorts (falling a few inches above the knee), pastel polo tucked in. The dorkyness is only increased by wearing a conference polo (as someone pointed out) or a baseball cap. I was at the US Open (tennis) this summer, and just about every guy there had on this rediculous uniform. Plus, as Joe G is never hesitant to point out; grown men look silly in shorts.

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I hate khakis. They are worn either by smug fratboy types (who complete the look with flipflops) or the dreadfully dull country-club/two-car-garage/retirement-savings types whom I imagine must have have spawned them. The blue shirt with khakis, a black belt and chunky black shoes that a lot of guys think is acceptable clubwear makes me grit my teeth so much I probably need orthodontal work. Coincidentally, these guys are generally too burly (do cardio is well as weights, guys), have terrible haircuts and use way too much hair product.

18. Stu

Stu Senior member

LAG: What? No anti-loafers rant? Don't tell me you now think loafers are OK? [​IMG]

19. cristobal

cristobal Well-Known Member

Spot on. You've captured the American nightlife scene (not all of it, but a good chunk) in one turn of phrase. That "club uniform" has got to go. Something else that needs to go, IMHO: those slip-on shoes (usually black) with that cheesy-looking gold diamond on one side of each shoe. Hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about. They're awful.

20. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I have, and I must say I don't care for them. I'm more of a city guy, so the whole Mexican countryside thing doesn't really do it for me. I will say that I put huraches are at the top eschelon of woven shoes, for what it's worth.

I've always thought the socks with sandals was a more German tourist / Phish concert thing.