• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the collar as a button down lover. Stay in your wheelhouse, buddy.

Even though I'm a profane, the button down collar is supposed to have a nice roll on the top, yours looks upside down.

Well, I had believed, you might bear some genuine criticism, I was wrong. I won't bother you with my feedback anymore, enjoy your outfits as you want. Better, I will leave this thread at all.

Last edited:

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though I'm a profane, the button down collar is supposed to have a nice roll on the top, yours looks upside down.

Well, I had believed, you might bear some genuine criticism, I was wrong. I won't bother you with my feedback anymore, enjoy you outfits as you want. Better, I will leave this thread at all.

Bad feedback:
"Looks very good, except for the shirt collar, even for a button down lover."

Good feedback:
"Looks very good. While I think a button-down collar suits the rest of the outfit, I think you'd benefit from a different collar geometry where you have a more pronounced roll at the top. From the photos yours looks to be upside down, creating some unnecessary visual bulk. Is it the angle of the photos or perhaps it needs a bit of pressing?"

--

You don't have to be a crybaby and leave the thread. I actually think you have a sharp eye and can contribute constructively when you want to. But at the same time, it's tiring to read your posts when every one of them is "I don't like this" / "This looks bad" / "That shouldn't be done this way" without expanding your thoughts into a coherent argument.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im new to this game so if I have areas to improve please do tell. Gray Herringbone Sport coat with navy trousers and navy grenadine tie. Dark Chili AE Lake Bluff penny loafers. Nothing has been tailored yet mind you.
Welcome. Good start. Agree with AAS on the shoes. Seeing your follow up - best to avoid oxfords with casual outfits and reserve them for suits. Just something to take into consideration as you rebuild.

On this specific outfit I like the elements. Some minor tweaks but I’d opt for a different tie knot with that shirt collar. A four in hand would pair better there and cinching it up a touch may help clean up the collar space where you’ve got some overlapping.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I had believed, you might bear some genuine criticism, I was wrong. I won't bother you with my feedback anymore, enjoy you outfits as you want. Better, I will leave this thread at all.
The roll is there, but is obscured by the vest.

I apologize if my comment came off as offensive. I know tone is hard to read on the internet. I was just joking with you. I thought the buddy part would give the comment a more light hearted feel.

I'm not going to beg you to keep commenting on my outfits, but I do appreciate your feedback. I'll keep the banter to a minimum in the future.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad feedback:
"Looks very good, except for the shirt collar, even for a button down lover."

Good feedback:
"Looks very good. While I think a button-down collar suits the rest of the outfit, I think you'd benefit from a different collar geometry where you have a more pronounced roll at the top. From the photos yours looks to be upside down, creating some unnecessary visual bulk. Is it the angle of the photos or perhaps it needs a bit of pressing?"

--

You don't have to be a crybaby and leave the thread. I actually think you have a sharp eye and can contribute constructively when you want to. But at the same time, it's tiring to read your posts when every one of them is "I don't like this" / "This looks bad" / "That shouldn't be done this way" without expanding your thoughts into a coherent argument.

Thank you, for having answered to me.

I don't think to be a crybaby, but it seems that my comments/feedbacks are irritating for the most of you. By the way, if you look back at my posts, you will see that the large majority of them are positive, as is positive also my latest in the whole. As @AnAcuteStyle has said, this thread used to be a little bit different years ago, and a clear, genuine criticism was usual. Nowadays seems that everybody is oversensitive to the slightest criticism, so that politically correct and accepted is only to give a totally positive feedback or to give a like or not. This seems to me to totally miss the purpose of a style forum.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As @AnAcuteStyle has said, this thread used to be a little bit different years ago, and a clear, genuine criticism was usual. Nowadays seems that everybody is oversensitive to the slightest criticism, so that politically correct and accepted is only to give a totally positive feedback or to give a like or not. This seems to me to totally miss the purpose of a style forum.
I agree with this - we need to have more feedback/criticism when it comes to outfits.

My point was to encourage you and everyone else for that matter to share their opinion in full by adding why you like or dislike something and, in case of the latter, suggest ways to improve.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, for having answered to me.

I don't think to be a crybaby, but it seems that my comments/feedbacks are irritating for the most of you. By the way, if you look back at my posts, you will see that the large majority of them are positive, as is positive also my latest in the whole. As @AnAcuteStyle has said, this thread used to be a little bit different years ago, and a clear, genuine criticism was usual. Nowadays seems that everybody is oversensitive to the slightest criticism, so that politically correct and accepted is only to give a totally positive feedback or to give a like or not. This seems to me to totally miss the purpose of a style forum.
it has nothing to do with politically correct or sensitivity. It has to do with most of your criticisms not being helpful. @te0o kindly pointed out how expanding upon your thoughts would actually be helpful. “This looks bad” “this isn’t to my taste” “I don’t like this” in short, undeveloped thoughts is useless as far as feedback goes without expanding on the thought.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it has nothing to do with politically correct or sensitivity. It has to do with most of your criticisms not being helpful. @te0o kindly pointed out how expanding upon your thoughts would actually be helpful. “This looks bad” “this isn’t to my taste” “I don’t like this” in short, undeveloped thoughts is useless as far as feedback goes without expanding on the thought.

Thank you too.

I disagree, I mostly say what I don't like and why. In the latest case I think it could be evident without to elaborate on it.

By the way, I see a lot of outfits I don't like at all: well, I completely avoid any comment.

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thak you too.

I disagree, I mostly say what I don't like and why. In the latest case I think it could be evident without to elaborate on it.

By the way, I see a lot of outfits I don't like at all: well, I completely avoid any comment.
I assure you, I double checked before I commented. You typically don’t expand on the why of things you dislike or what you’d suggest instead. When it’s something you do like ironically you expand there more often and point out what it was that you like - proportions, colors, the wider trousers etc, etc.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assure you, I double checked before I commented. You typically don’t expand on the why of things you dislike or what you’d suggest instead. When it’s something you do like ironically you expand there more often and point out what it was that you like - proportions, colors, the wider trousers etc, etc.

This looks totally reasonable to me. As I said, I certainly give more willingly a positive feedback, to the point that I avoid to post a comment, if it would be totally negative.

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks totally reasonable to me. As I said, I certainly give more willingly a positive feedback, to the point that I totally avoid tto post a comment, if it would be totally negative.
Right. But if you’re going to say “I don’t like X” - Feedback about why or what you would do differently is the helpful part that actually adds anything to the thread.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right. But if you’re going to say “I don’t like X” - Feedback about why or what you would do differently is the helpful part that actually adds anything to the thread.

You cannot always explain why you like one thing and dislike another. I like wide trousers and dislike narrow ones, but it's essentially a matter of personal taste, not something you can rationally explain. Yes, maybe a larger width is also more comfortable, but it's not the point. And I certainly don't pretend to have the truth, I only give my point of view, according to my taste and culture.

Last edited:

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Good start. Agree with AAS on the shoes. Seeing your follow up - best to avoid oxfords with casual outfits and reserve them for suits. Just something to take into consideration as you rebuild.

On this specific outfit I like the elements. Some minor tweaks but I’d opt for a different tie knot with that shirt collar. A four in hand would pair better there and cinching it up a touch may help clean up the collar space where you’ve got some overlapping.
Thanks I just learned two more elements to work on. I haven’t tied many knots so ill work on that in the evenings perhaps. It is a point of frustration for me to get the right length for my long torso. I wasn’t aware that oxfords were mostly reserved for suits. For business casual shoes what should I stick to?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt