• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can explain that in one post. It cloggs the whole forum with just replies (and dorian replies to pretty much everything). Imagine me writing this in three different posts instead. Yeah, you get the picture.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Multi posting is though good for the search engines and in consequence good for the site and its owner, mr. Jackson I believe or whoever, as it means more hits and etc., you get the picture.

Stylewords

Reaction score
I can explain that in one post. It cloggs the whole forum with just replies (and dorian replies to pretty much everything). Imagine me writing this in three different posts instead. Yeah, you get the picture.
No, I don't. If you're writing about one topic or bringing disparate comments together to make a general point, then I can understand. If he's writing one comment per unrelated fit, it seem fine to me for them to be in separate posts. Either way, it seems a strange thing to get upset about.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if I'd scroll through the forum for the first time in a week, and I wanted to critique 10 different fits from 7 different posters, it would be so much better for everyone else to have it in one big post than 7 or even 10 different posts. But that is just me.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Well if I'd scroll through the forum for the first time in a week, and I wanted to critique 10 different fits from 7 different posters, it would be so much better for everyone else to have it in one big post than 7 or even 10 different posts. But that is just me.
Sure. As I say, not something that bothers me one way or the other.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never understood the whining about not multi-quoting.
Instead of having one, easy to skip over post I don't care about at all (DG's subjective opinions on so and so's fit), I get ten.
In so many words, I prefer avoiding pointless clutter. That seems...rather reasonable?

Does it cause me any great distress? Of course not.
Is it mildly irritating when a much cleaner, useful alternative exists? Of course.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rare non-suit combination today. I think I may have opted for too many elements with similar textures and too many matte options but overall I think it works alright.
94C865EC-7D29-494F-9720-4C1F8454EEC0.jpeg
0E87FCF0-C6F7-41FD-898D-DC5ECD01585E.jpeg
A107BABE-1561-4456-8837-605879E3900E.jpeg

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The trench coat is over on the SWD end of the spectrum, and most folks here can’t cope with that. Not my kind of weird, but meeting it on its own terms, it’s okay.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my beef with the coat is it looks like one of those things that was better as an idea than it is in execution. it looked great when they drew it up in their heads and put it on paper. it probably looks great on the rack or in product photos. then when you put it on you get the result he got. i've been resisting the urge to cut his ass till now cause 1) i'm a has been, 2) he seems like a nice guy and 3) it seems like he enjoys it. put that coat on grailed/buy&sell and pass it on to the next sucker.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my beef with the coat is it looks like one of those things that was better as an idea than it is in execution. it looked great when they drew it up in their heads and put it on paper. it probably looks great on the rack or in product photos. then when you put it on you get the result he got. i've been resisting the urge to cut his ass till now cause 1) i'm a has been, 2) he seems like a nice guy and 3) it seems like he enjoys it. put that coat on grailed/buy&sell and pass it on to the next sucker.
Well, I am honoured this is the first outfit of mine that has created so much controversy - I like it. 😅 Jokes aside, I genuinely appreciate the discussion, that's the purpose of this whole thread. Plus, if I were posting the same old thing every time there wouldn't be much to learn.

A question though - when you say "the result he got" what do you mean? Are you referring to the fit of the coat, the overall design/stylistic choices, or something else?

My thought process when putting this outfit together was: got a suit, tie, oxfords. It's cold and rainy outside so I need some sort of a long coat. Can choose between a number of different options - a trench being one of them - for its practicality when dealing with the elements. But it's gotta be long - no point in wearing something that hits me above the knees. Could I get away with a classic tan Burberry? Most likely not given the colour scheme I'm going for. (I wouldn't be really comfortable with something as eye-catching as that either). So I've got this long, muted navy number which in my eyes doesn't clash with the formality of the suit given the navy colour but has the added benefit of being warm (wool liner and all) and practical given the weather we're dealing with. I didn't see any incongruence hence the choice here.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question though - when you say "the result he got" what do you mean? Are you referring to the fit of the coat, the overall design/stylistic choices, or something else?
see, it's hard to cut on someone good natured like you. your attitude is positive and it inspires me to be positive as well. I'm gonna do my best, though. it fits bad. yes, it's too long. I dunno if it fits you bad, necessarily. I think that's just how it's gonna fit and it doesn't look right. kinda reminds me of deck jacket material or something. I think a regular trench coat would look good. are you telling me all trench coats are that long?

let's pretend it fits you perfectly. There's a lot of design elements going on here. It's gonna be a polarizing design no matter what. you've got raglan sleeves, double chest flaps, the DB but single column of buttons.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
see, it's hard to cut on someone good natured like you. your attitude is positive and it inspires me to be positive as well. I'm gonna do my best, though. it fits bad. yes, it's too long. I dunno if it fits you bad, necessarily. I think that's just how it's gonna fit and it doesn't look right. kinda reminds me of deck jacket material or something. I think a regular trench coat would look good. are you telling me all trench coats are that long?

let's pretend it fits you perfectly. There's a lot of design elements going on here. It's gonna be a polarizing design no matter what. you've got raglan sleeves, double chest flaps, the DB but single column of buttons.
All fair points.

I agree on the design - no question there. In fact, the first time I tried it about a year ago, I didn't buy it because I thought I couldn't pull it off. I guess I've got a bit more confidence now as that thought didn't at all cross my mind when I tried it on before buying. :)

Fit-wise, it feels good when worn. It's a fair bit looser when worn without the wool liner. In either case, it's quite serviceable - which I guess isn't conveyed by the photos. This isn't me trying to argue the points you've made but rather pointing out that photos can sometimes be misleading when it comes to fit.

Now let's all collectively draw a line under it and move on to other fits. Maybe I'll post some pictures wearing it in a different combo and setting at some point later down the line.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my point is there’s good feedback and less good feedback. Most of @DorianGreen seems to be heavily weighted towards his personal preference as opposed to some more objective reasons for things being off. I guess my point is that I’d take feedback from you much more to heart than anything he posts.

Anything about style is subjective, even though there are some points on which a majority generally agree. I don't present my points as the truth, they are always my subjective opinions. You can safely ignore them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix