• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mcobinad

Reaction score
Hi all. I’m going to state my opinion about some clothes.

27 likes may say otherwise, but I me personally really dislike this jacket. I don’t like the color. I think the lapels are too large, the patch pockets are too square and the quarters are too closed. I also think it sub optimally with the navy pants. I like the detailing on the pant waist though. Nice tie and shoes.

Thanks indeed for your feedback. Notes taken on board. However, I am still in the early stages of my MTM experience, playing with ideas here and there, success and failures in between. As for the square patch pocket, yes, typical of English tailoring but I am now working closely with Italian tailors to achieve a more sophisticated look. I would not want to spill the beans too early on but I would advice you watch this space :)

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy new year peeps. It's been a while on here. Here day II at #pittiuomo95 with my better half. Wishing you all lovely day from Florence :)

I like this a lot, and I especially love the way you waded into a controversial thread and posted a Northern Lights fit with navy odd trousers and light brown shoes without the faintest hint of a **** being given.

steveabdn

Reaction score
Alan,

If your genuine objection to double monks is that the second strap serves no function, doesn't that mean that plimsolls or velcro fastening shoes are your favourites??

If we start using the argument that function is the key factor then there's no point in having a styleforum!!

Apologies, I was catching up with the thread posts and that argument against double monks made me laugh

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the color of the tie is too close to the color of the jacket.

I can offer my personal explanation. I liked the fit instinctively, but having to think about it, the tie and jacket are obviously, strongly different in other, more important ways than colour. The subtle sheen of silk vs the matt rough texture, the large contrast stripes vs a muted monochrome (or small patterns if you count the flecks) in particular.

Then, the proximity of the tones on the colour wheel serves more to resonate than to clash, as might have been the case with, say, a rust cashmere tie - although that latter would have worked with a suit of the colour of the jacket, and would only clash given the strong contrast with the trousers. A Butlerian example.

I note that your own fits prefer much stronger visual contrasts particularly with colours which may be why our opinions differ.

The outfit was lower contrast than my normal fare (@WillingToLearn ), but the tie is maroonish red and the jacket a pretty standard brown. Perhaps it’s that the tie and jacket are similarly saturated.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The outfit was lower contrast than my normal fare (@WillingToLearn ), but the tie is maroonish red and the jacket a pretty standard brown. Perhaps it’s that the tie and jacket are similarly saturated.
I think you are pretty far back from the camera. Zooming in I can see the difference in the colors. At a glance and at a distance, the colors melt together. Charge retracted.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of another member's photos here vs. at his golf club (where the photos are incidental to dinner or whatever the event is, and he is not really in focus). I thought he was wearing plain colours because of the distance, blurriness and bad light despite his often wearing interesting textures and small patterns and the much better quality shots here highlight the quality of the thinking behind it (and presumably are a better representation of how an actual observer would see the fit standing next to the chap).

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tumblr_pl5l26JL6B1s5fve2o2_540.jpg

Thomson

Reaction score
Reflecting on the last few pages - I do enjoy strong opinions, even and especially, controversial ones. I think it is helpful if they are worded in a way that they don‘t seem to attack another person‘s self worth but just target matters of style or not. I don‘t enjoy personal feuds (‘a few pages ago you said this, now that’ etc) and whataboutism (‘monks, what about plimsoles’).

Having said that, this little corner of the internet is a great place where people of many backgrounds discuss things of little importance in a generally cordial and civil way -the world would be a much better place if more people were more concerned with matching ties to jackets, trouser configurations and types of shoes.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan,

If your genuine objection to double monks is that the second strap serves no function, doesn't that mean that plimsolls or velcro fastening shoes are your favourites??

If we start using the argument that function is the key factor then there's no point in having a styleforum!!

Apologies, I was catching up with the thread posts and that argument against double monks made me laugh

@steveabdn

Indeed style by its very definition invites all that is superfluous. But as many greats that have come before us have averred, “simplicity is never far from elegance”.

It wasn’t that long ago that men adorned thier crowns with powdered wigs, their frocks with all manner of gaudy decorations, and buckles which entirely obscured their loafers.

I tend to view double monks with the same mistrust - a lot of bells and whistles adding to neither function nor form.

Alan Bee

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alan Bee Ask someone to read your posts aloud to you. You may be surprised how pompous and sanctimonious they come across. I enjoy the visuals in your posts a lot, but loathe the tone of your comments.
@Ebichuman

You see sir, I view the written word as a form of art. A Picasso will never be mistaken for a Monet and vice versa. Indeed there are artists who have made a name for themselves with that which might, on the surface of things, be taken for vulgarity.

The language of expression is either something that is innate, or imbued through our own literary diet. I am drawn to dry wit, sarcasm and even sardonically inclined literature. That might explain my own style and manner of expression. But I hope I can assure you, none of it is meant in poor form.

What a chore if we had only to deliver substance without the embellishment of style.

Alan Bee

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads