• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alan Bee As a way to maybe conclude this chapter of forum history, I'd just like to mention that your last few posts have been both well-reasoned and reasonable. There is a world of difference between saying you dislike double monks because their features add little to form or function and saying you dislike them because they are infantile, for example. I'd like to see more posts of the former variety, and fewer of the latter. Our discussion yesterday was perhaps overly robust, but I certainly don't harbour any ill-will towards you on a personal level. No hard feelings.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The multi page spat here is ridiculous.

Everyone knows that menswear is subjective. Everyone knows how Alan Bee gets down with his dictates and declarations. He can state it however he wants. It’s just his opinion. He’s been told numerous times about it. He’s going to be who he is. I’m sure it’s too late to change him as a human being at this point.

I guess once you’ve been here long enough you just get use to peoples’ idiosyncrasies. Let Alan Bee be. He means no harm and is here to help people dress better. He is always well meaning and gives people advice when some of us just keep scrolling. Carry on, Bee.

I strongly disagree, for the following reasons.

1. I think not only what you say is important, but also how you say it. Maybe even as important. Sometimes, maybe even more. The posts discussed were clearly worded in a way that were lacking in the "how-you-say-it-department". Imho, from a moral point of view, and sometimes even a legal one, a person is not free to say things "however they want", even if that person only speaks his mind.

2. I think it's elementary for any rational discussion to give reasons for ones conclusions. Conclusions are in general uninteresting, if you can't give reasons for them. Also, every discussion focused only on conclusions, without their premises, is bound to fail. "Dictates and declarations" really don't advance anything in this thread, at least not the base of knowledge.

3. Even if you, and maybe even I, are used to a poster's "idiosyncrasies", it of course doesn't apply to everyone. New forum members, random Google searchers, members who just started following this thread etc are not privy to such "idiosyncrasies".

4. It's important to separate the person and that person's actions. It's fully possible to critize a person's actions without necessarily critizing the the "whole" person. While I think Alan Bees posts are often helpful for others and worded in a way that is acceptable, I have come across several that aren't. For the latter ones, he deserves critizim. This doesn't detract from the value of what he has written in other posts.

5. Even though someone means no harm by acting in a certain way, I think it is important to be responsive to when other people find those acts "harmful". At least, one should hear those people out and then, afterwards, judge the merits of that feedback. As I see it, if several different people give someone the same kind of negative feedback, chances are that there will be good grounds for it.

Rant over. Of course, these are only my humble two cents.

Last edited:

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alan Bee As a way to maybe conclude this chapter of forum history, I'd just like to mention that your last few posts have been both well-reasoned and reasonable. There is a world of difference between saying you dislike double monks because their features add little to form or function and saying you dislike them because they are infantile, for example. I'd like to see more posts of the former variety, and fewer of the latter. Our discussion yesterday was perhaps overly robust, but I certainly don't harbour any ill-will towards you on a personal level. No hard feelings.
@Michael81

Is that what Don Vito Corleone might have referred to as a peace meeting?

Do please send Peter Clemenza with a car. I shall be glad to attend Michael, indeed I would be honored :bigstar:

Alan Bee

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday, and frigid in NYC - more three-piece suits in flannel. Also included are my second pair of double monks this week, a new acquisition from the winter sale at Paul Stuart.

Suit - Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Corneliani
Braces - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Pocket square - New & Lingwood, London
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Selentino

IMG_8853.JPG

IMG_8847.JPG
IMG_8848.JPG
IMG_8850.JPG
IMG_8851.JPG
IMG_8852.JPG

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Ebichuman

You see sir, I view the written word as a form of art. A Picasso will never be mistaken for a Monet and vice versa. Indeed there are artists who have made a name for themselves with that which might, on the surface of things, be taken for vulgarity.

The language of expression is either something that is innate, or imbued through our own literary diet. I am drawn to dry wit, sarcasm and even sardonically inclined literature. That might explain my own style and manner of expression. But I hope I can assure you, none of it is meant in poor form.

What a chore if we had only to deliver substance without the embellishment of style.

Alan Bee

It's only when the style trumps the substance that I have a problem. Your purple prose hinders your message.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder why men in general affect the notion that clothing is an issue of little importance. I mean, I get that the prevailing western culture insists that men are serious about worldly issues and generally appear to be unconcerned about clothes. However, I think it would be much more rewarding to discuss clothing with an understanding of the cultural and historical significance that they actually have. Which is enormous.

Um... this was in response to a comment in the last page. I can't remember who.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads