• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AGlorifiedCrew

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for donegal....

MT1kIgx.jpg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dislike this cloth. The plaid is sort of middle-brow luxury department store brand and combined with a completely mismatched smooth finish. Big plaid requires big nap. This looks almost like it was printed. Blegh.

I suggest a trip to visit your opthamologist - the fabric is flannel with a very healthy amount of nap to it. Otherwise, duly noted, don't care.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today washed out in cool morning light

View attachment 1085393
I kind of hate/love that tie. Definitely not feeling it with this jacket despite the clearly different scales of the patterns. I think the tie could work with the jacket if the tie were a different color.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of hate/love that tie. Definitely not feeling it with this jacket despite the clearly different scales of the patterns. I think the tie could work with the jacket if the tie were a different color.
I have one in the same pattern that is blue and yellow. I don't think that would have been better though, I don't like blue ties with this jacket.

Is it the tone of red? The pattern? Or both

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one in the same pattern that is blue and yellow. I don't think that would have been better though, I don't like blue ties with this jacket.

Is it the tone of red? The pattern? Or both
The ground of the tie and windowpane in the jacket both appear to be burgundy. The elements on the tie appear orange and teal. I don’t think orange and teal go well with burgundy. Plus the tie has a neat pattern, but also a plaid sub pattern. I like it artistically, but not as a tie. It’s too busy.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keeping things seasonal, a Christmas Tree and me in the South Patio of the place I still call Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal.

P1120680.JPG

Brooks Brothers jacket, sweater vest, and tie, L L Bean blue and white University Stripe OCBD shirt and cord trousers, Burberry Nova Plaid pocket square, and Allen-Edmonds suede shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a person with tea and vanilla macarons picture.

(Extra points to anyone who can identify the location. Hint: It is an international chain and there is at least one very obvious clue.)

IMG_1141.jpg

Extra Added Attraction:

In the stately homes of England, the tallest and best looking male servants served as footmen and amongst their duties stood at the sides of doors. Walked past the Ralph Lauren store on Rodeo Drive earlier today and as part of Ralph Lauren's 50th Anniversary Ralph Lauren is emulating the stately homes of England.

P1120699.jpg

(Yes, asked them about yesterday when it was pouring down rain and they said yesterday they stood inside the front doors, rather than outside the front doors.)

Extra Added Attraction Part Deux (for @An Acute Style):

Although photography is not encouraged in Ralph Lauren stores managed to take this picture when no one was looking.

P1120698.jpg

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nicely done. What’s the occasion?

Only nit is the sleeve length; looks a tad long and as if the tailor has already tried to shorten the inside length to correct, leaving a slanted hem.
@EFV @mafoofan

Attending a formal reception yesterday.

Regarding sleeve length, my tailor it appears, likes to err on the side of a tad too long than a tad too short. But if you look at some other pics, the white linen shows through at the cuffs depending on how I’m standing.

I have two sets of bespoke shirts with slightly varying sleeve lengths so I’m able to resolve this by carefully picking which shirt I wear with what suit/coat.

Alan Bee

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I wore yester-evening.
Thoughts?

View attachment 1085614
Way too much going on here. A tie should not be worn with that shirt. It’s too casual. A knit tie at best could work. I dislike the tie. I looks like a video game or sperm navigating their way through the Fallopian tube. I like the jacket, but you need a more reserved shirt and tie.

Northwiking

Reaction score
Way too much going on here. A tie should not be worn with that shirt. It’s too casual. A knit tie at best could work. I dislike the tie. I looks like a video game or sperm navigating their way through the Fallopian tube. I like the jacket, but you need a more reserved shirt and tie.

Disagree slightly with AAS, I like the tie fine and the outfit would have worked well with a plain blue shirt.

Thank you for your opinions.

I understand that a plain shirt would be better.

I like the tie, but I see what you mean there AAS lol.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That tie is a hard no.
I know. My father in law just gave it to me as a gift and we were staying by him.

I didn't really have a choice. I may try it again with a navy suit, or I may find a nice corner in my sock drawer for it. Woven gold.

"When I saw this in the Canali store, I just knew you had to have it!"

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads