• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice settled weather here - the Royal Wedding effect...

RC Auto hands.JPG

RC Auto.JPG

RC Auto dog Bass.JPG

RC Auto dog brace.jpg
Blazer - bespoke
Trou - M&S autograph
Shirt - CT
Tie - Budd and pin - Benson & Clegg
PS from local outfitter
Braces - TM Lewin
Shoes - Weejuns

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@steveabdn

I think you’re on the right path but as you already know from my videos, it is critical that you map out a plan before you begin.

What often happens (and I speak from experience) during the bespoke build-up phase is folks shoot from the hip. They see a fabric and fall in love with it and send it to the tailor to be cut.

The end result is, you end up with a heavily tilted and no so functional wardrobe. You might love the individual pieces but they won’t meet the “balanced portfolio” test.

I suggest you set up a spreadsheet or list, broken down into seasons (including a column for fabric weight) and casual vs business wear. Of course your climate will dictate how you allocate garments.

Once you’ve set up the chessboard, you can then go about researching and sourcing the fabrics that fit right into each column (or row).

You can even set up a column for pricing/budgeting that way you can track the accretive cost of your entire wardrobe or project. You can really go nuts on how many variables you wish to include or you can just keep it simple.

Again depending on your starting budget, you can prioritize which rows or columns need to be tackled first.

The point being: you now have a master plan, your North Star is fixed. You will then execute that blueprint without the distraction of the odd impulse purchase here and there.

If any prevarication occurs, it should be limited to what mills or brands you prefer for each segment.

Alan Bee

Sounds like a way more sensible way than what I could have done

Hi Alan,

I agree that planning is the key to making sure your purchases have a point and contribute to the overall of the wardrobe.

I'm going to combine both activities we are taking about here and produce a model for my proposed wardrobe and how each of the items can be worn.

I'll touch base with you once I have something operable.

Completely separately, I've dropped 6lbs this week so I'm off to a good start!!

Thanks again,
Steve

@steveabdn

One more thing Steve. When you set up your spreadsheet (building block), begin with solids in all categories (both suits and sport coats). If you seek novelty, find it in shades of staple colors and texture.

With solids as your base, you can call it a wrap and still have a very versatile, functional wardrobe with odd pieces that complement one another.

You can address patterns in phase 2 of your build out. That’s largely what I’ve done. I’m mostly done with solids so any further projects will be pattern driven.

Alan Bee

I really enjoyed this conversation, and @Alan Bee's insights.

With AB's pace - and @steveabdn's proposed pace - this seems like the only way to make your bespoke orders.

Personally, I have proceeded on a much more incremental pace - I place one bespoke order per year (or rather, two bespoke orders every two years) - and I firmly believe that day-in, day-out wear is a great indication of how I should place my next order. By way of example, my next order will include, among other things, a mid-grey "fresco-esque" fabric, and that fabric was not even remotely on my radar until I noticed that I have worn through two mid-grey "fresco-esque" suitsupply suits. Stated otherwise, (1) what I think I would use and (2) what I actually use do not always line up.

No longer a virgin to this thread...
Custom.

View attachment 977700
View attachment 977703

@induere_to, I meant to mention this on the S&M thread, but forgot to do so.

As an initial matter, that is a fantastic start - especially for the price of S&M custom. I really like your combination as well.

However, I do think that the balance of the jacket is off (as seen below, in the picture you posted in the S&M pic (as well as the others, but this is the most pronounced)).

img_8187-jpg.973919

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@lordsuperb

Black faced lapels??? In satin or some other exotic fabric I suppose ....

I don't know lord. It was never quite my intention to impersonate a magician.

Regarding the cuffed trousers, I agree entirely. An un-cuffed pair of trousers would achieve a cleaner, more uniform aesthetic. But then again, these are simple odd trousers that do duty as something else when paired up differently.

Alan Bee

Like so....

tumblr_mzhj2pV3xw1s3u46yo1_1280.jpg

MrUsedThreads

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

steveabdn

Reaction score
@Newcomer

Thanks for your response, much appreciated. The reason for my enthusiastic pace is my size. I'm a big fella and I find that means I'm hard on my clothes. I don't want to buy a single piece and have it worn out by the time I come to place an order for a second. I'd like to have choices in my wardrobe.

This summer through into next spring is about building my autumn wardrobe. I'll be starting with the plain navy suit, followed a month or 2 after receipt with an order for the Glen plaid. That may be as far as my autumn efforts get this year before switching to the summer options and finishing my autumn efforts next year.

I have a real hankering for a double breasted option in there as well. I love the double breasted style thread and @Alan Bee frequently rocking the DB with real panache. I think a navy autumn version of this is definitely a real valid option. I've never even tried one on though, I'll be gutted if it just doesn't work for me !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads