• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only ever had the 18 once, and have been on a hunt for a bottle ever since. It seems now that the 18 has (at least temporarily) been phased out for a 16.
Don't sweat it too much... the Laphroaig 18 was my "base" drink for years so I had first row seats to the demise of what used to be a great dram which slowly lost its complexity, balance and depth of flavour. The labels also (IMHO) looked worse every iteration; more modern and international, I guess, just like the taste. It's not *bad* but is it worth the premium today?

This is not just Laphroaig of course, I think the Japanese whiskies were the worst affected by their own hype, with all the base ones moving from 12yo to NAS and becoming harsher and again, less long in the mouth and balanced.

I don't know if there is a good comparison. Perhaps between 1960s muscle cars and their modern equivalent.

NycLondon

Reaction score
Don't sweat it too much... the Laphroaig 18 was my "base" drink for years so I had first row seats to the demise of what used to be a great dram which slowly lost its complexity, balance and depth of flavour.

So have you bought an "old" Laphroaig 18 and tasted against the recent bottlings? If not, you might be able to, else ....

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They all taste good when sitting in the rackhouse...picks from a trip this past October to Islay. We managed to get to every distillery on the island not without a few headaches. If you like peat it is a must for your travel list.
IMG_9064.JPG

IMG_8908.JPG

IMG_9014.JPG

This is a hell of a whisky if you can find it:
IMG_9153.JPG

DL-

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the industrial Irish whiskies, maybe. Not so much with single pot stills like Redbreast and Green Spot.

Or the best of the lot: Yellow Spot. It would be a borderline criminal act to put ice in that.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snöblandat-04.jpg
Snöblandat-02.jpg
Snöblandat-03.jpg
Snöblandat-01.jpg

As a Swede living in Switzerland I have no problem with snow, on the contrary I love it. But sleet is truly the devil's work.

Suit: Richard James
Shirt: kiton
Tie: Borrelli Royal Collection
PS: Canali
Shoes: Alden

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 911379 First post on WAYWRN at urging of Urban Composition whom I bumped into at SMN Firenze train station on the last day of Pitti Uomo 93

Bespoke 3-pc number cut from Dormeuil 10oz herringbone flannel.

Alan Bee
Great suit. Why such a small cuff on the pants?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads