• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point about "cold". The rate of temperature reduction will be directly proportional to the melt rate of the cube (as heat energy from the whisky drives a phase change from solid to liquid in the water). So using an ice sphere instead of a cube helps to slow down the cooling, as well as the dilution, of the whisky.

At home I use little spherical plastic molds which consist of two hinged hemispheres with a pluggable hole in the middle of one of the hemispheres. You snap the two sides together, fill with water through the hole, plug it, and put it in the freezer. Once frozen, prise open the two hemispheres and after a minute or two the ice sphere loosens and falls out.

In some bars, the barmen will laboriously chisel large spheres out of blocks of ice. Very labour-intensive, which of course makes the ice "taste" better.

RFHansen

Reaction score
Good thing I don't depend on posing for a living.
It's a full sub $100 thrift fit, except underwear & socks, of course... Suit Supply SC (very impressed by fit & quality considering the low SuSu retail prices), Marcello shirt, Tino Cosma tie, trousers by Mosaique (nice fabric, waist too low), C&J shoes:

IMG_1639_1.JPG

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There has actually been some research, recently published, which shows that certain of the desirable aromatic compounds in scotch whisky are "released" by the addition of water. The actual chemical reactions involved were identified in the research. I think it also has something to do with the alcohol concentration.

I have heard many whisky experts - makers, tasters, enthusiasts - state that they prefer adding a little water to scotch. The problem with ice is that it can melt too quickly, resulting in an ever-increasing dilution effect during consumption of a typical dram. Solution: use ice spheres, which minimise melt rate (due to spheres having the minimal possible surface area:volume ratio of any solid).

In practice i have found that I enjoy some whiskies neat, and others slightly diluted with water.
I have no expertise to base my mindset off of, but I’ve found that I prefer a cube or two with bourbon/rye, and neat with nearly all scotches.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAS, I love your posts so much it's ridiculous. I mean, I hate nearly everything about that outfit and I totally love that you're wearing it. Your posts make this thread at least twice as enjoyable as it would be without your posts.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAS, I love your posts so much it's ridiculous. I mean, I hate nearly everything about that outfit and I totally love that you're wearing it. Your posts make this thread at least twice as enjoyable as it would be without your posts.
If you hate that tie, we’re going to have words!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol.

I don't hate the tie, but I don't like it with that suit at all. Yet, I am glad that AAS made the choice to pair them. :D

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There has actually been some research, recently published, which shows that certain of the desirable aromatic compounds in scotch whisky are "released" by the addition of water. The actual chemical reactions involved were identified in the research. I think it also has something to do with the alcohol concentration.

I have heard many whisky experts - makers, tasters, enthusiasts - state that they prefer adding a little water to scotch. The problem with ice is that it can melt too quickly, resulting in an ever-increasing dilution effect during consumption of a typical dram. Solution: use ice spheres, which minimise melt rate (due to spheres having the minimal possible surface area:volume ratio of any solid).

In practice i have found that I enjoy some whiskies neat, and others slightly diluted with water.

Nothing wrong with adding a tiny amount of water. Many experts would indeed recommend it and if you drink cask strength it’s necessary. But never in the form of ice. Not only do you get a dilution problem but cooling down the whisky reduces the taste significantly. The only reason I can think of to add ice to whisky is if the whisky is awful and you need to add ice to make it drinkable.

blekit

Reaction score
Regarding whisky I am all for adding a small amount of water to ease the impact of alcohol on tastebuds and enhance the flavour and aroma. But I rarely use ice - mostly in cases when what I drink does not offer any special taste sensations.

@ShawnBC in my humble opinion Signet is fully deserving of all the praise it receives in the reviews. One of the best I've tasted so far.

Decreased

Reaction score
Regarding whisky I am all for adding a small amount of water to ease the impact of alcohol on tastebuds and enhance the flavour and aroma. But I rarely use ice - mostly in cases when what I drink does not offer any special taste sensations.

Ditto, I bought signet to celebrate a major life milestone, along with laphhroaig 18 when it was in production, was pleased with both. Laphroaig was no surprise as I'm a fan of islays. The signet did surprise me in how much I enjoyed it.

Laphroaig 10 year is a great example of a whisky that improves with a few drops of water. @DiplomaticTies and others have summarised the dual negatives of ice, and both get worse as it melts. I'm finding a correlation between how well dressed I think people are and their views on malts.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something for the end of the week, and for the Friday Challenge . . .

Suit - Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Braces - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - London Badge & Button Co.
PS - no name brand
Boots - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Johnston's of Elgin
Cap - Paul Stuart

IMG_7170.JPG

IMG_7165.JPG
IMG_7166.JPG
IMG_7167.JPG
IMG_7168.JPG
IMG_7169.JPG

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only reason I can think of to add ice to whisky is if the whisky is awful and you need to add ice to make it drinkable.
I was going to say that. Many times the host does not care much about his drinks and it means you face the man with the walking stick in black/green and gold (more so outside the Anglosphere) and you are thankful for the ice cubes or mixer.

In Japan, some bars will warm the whisky (originally, shochu) and add quite a bit of water:

The night we were there, Nishida-san prepared an oyuwari-version of the grappa-finished Hanyu for us. He started by pouring a measure of whisky into a blender’s flask; then, added water to the flask to bring the strength down to 13% (he’s very precise about that!). Next, he poured the contents of the flask into a small kyusu (teapot) and gently heated it. When it had reached the right temperature, he moved it to a special stand – which is revealed in front of the customer when part of the counter is removed – and served it in a small glass, of the kind used for drinking shochu and nihonshu. Meanwhile, the liquid in the teapot is kept hot by a small candle.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some single malts are better with a dash of water. Ice is ok in bourbon and Irish whiskey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads